Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #291
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

Pitt, Penn State players named to All-America team
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pitt freshman running back Dion Lewis was named a second-team All-American Tuesday by the Associated Press.

Lewis, who ran for 1,641 yards and a team-high 16 touchdowns, was joined by teammate Dorin Dickerson, who was named as the third team tight end. Lewis was the only true freshman player named as an AP All-American.

The Pitt duo was joined by three Penn State players: defensive tackle Jared Odrick joined Lewis on the second team, while offensive tackle Dennis Landolt and linebacker Navorro Bowman were named to the third team.

Lewis burst into national prominence this year when he led Pitt to a one-time top-10 ranking and a 9-3 record. Dickerson, a West Allegheny graduate, caught 45 passes for 508 yards and 10 touchdowns this season. Both will lead Pitt to a Dec. 26 matchup with North Carolina in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C.

Odrick was the leader of the Penn State defense this past season. He had 10 tackles for loss and six sacks as he led the Nittany Lions to a 10-2 mark and a spot in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on New Year's Day against LSU.

Bowman, a junior, had a team-high 15.5 tackles for loss and three sacks.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09349...#ixzz0b0U4OqGD

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #292
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Penn State: Lions senior is bowing out on a good note -- finally
Sunday, December 27, 2009
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Five days from now, Sean Lee will pull on his No. 45 jersey for the final time as a Penn State player.

The fifth-year senior co-captain and outside linebacker from Upper St. Clair High School will do so with mixed emotions.

"I've been truly blessed to finish this season out, to have a senior day at Penn State and to be able to play in this bowl game," said Lee, who graduated earlier this month with a degree in finance. "Last year, I felt helpless on the sideline when we were playing against USC in the Rose Bowl.

"The first three years, we had won all the bowl games. So, I'm going to be extremely excited to be out there, trying to help our team win this game and go out on a good note for my career."

Lee, 6 feet 2 and 236 pounds, has been sidelined three times in his career because of knee injuries, yet he has made plenty of big stops and highlight-reel plays in his 33 starts.

He ranks fourth in school history with 319 tackles entering the New Year's Day matchup between No. 11 Penn State (10-2) and No. 13 LSU (9-3) in the Capital One Bowl.

Two of Lee's former teammates, linebackers Dan Connor (419) and Hopewell's Paul Posluszny (372), rank 1-2 in tackles. Greg Buttle is third (343).

"I just want to be remembered as a guy who from the day he got here, has worked extremely hard to try to help this program improve, to win football games and not only improve on the field, but improve off the field," Lee said.

When Lee arrived at Penn State in 2005, the Nittany Lions were coming off their fourth losing season in five years and legendary coach Joe Paterno was being pressured to step down.

In preseason practice as a freshman, Lee partially tore his medial collateral ligament and was sidelined a few weeks. He recovered and played in the final seven games as the Lions finished 11-1 and ranked No. 3 in the country.

Lee played a season-high 49 snaps in Penn State's 26-23 triple-overtime victory against Florida State in the Orange Bowl after Posluszny suffered a knee injury.

"I was expecting to redshirt that year," Lee said. "I ended up becoming a backup, playing some special teams, playing a little more as the year went on and then by the Orange Bowl, in a certain package, I was the only linebacker on the field among a ton of great linebackers.

"As a young guy, seeing that Poz was out, which never happens, to get in there and get a triple-overtime win was unbelievable. So that whole year was great for me."

Lee was named defensive MVP in his latest bowl appearance for the Lions, registering a game-high 14 tackles in the 24-17 victory against Texas A&M in the 2007 Alamo Bowl.

His streak of 26 consecutive starts was snapped in 2008 after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in a spring scrimmage, forcing him to sit out the season. Lee missed three games this year with a sprained left knee.

"Sean Lee's had a bumpy road with the injuries," outside linebacker Navorro Bowman said. "But he's a guy that's showed so much resiliency. He wants to be the best and he's never going to give up."

That's a major reason why Lee was a second-team All-Big Ten selection despite starting only seven games. He ranked third on the team with 8.9 tackles per game. He had 80 stops overall, including 10 1/2 for losses, 7 pass breakups, 2 sacks and 1 interception.

"The last four or five games he's been good, which is really good," Paterno said.

Lee is projected as a second-round draft pick as an inside linebacker by NFLDraftScout.com, but he could slip to the third round if a number of underclassmen come out early.

Either way, he hopes to shed his knee brace for good after the game Friday against LSU.

"What I'm expecting out of the knee is that after the season, I won't be wearing a brace," Lee said. "I'll just be rehabbing. I'll be really able to work out full go as if there is really nothing wrong with it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09361...#ixzz0b0UPm4Nf

Old 12-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #293
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Win would cement Clark's legacy at Penn State
Monday, December 28, 2009

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Daryll Clark owns a number of Penn State season and career passing records, and he is one of just 12 quarterbacks since 1950 to be named first-team All-Big Ten Conference multiple times.

When he was chosen as co-MVP of the Big Ten earlier this month, Clark became the third Nittany Lions' quarterback to win the award, joining Kerry Collins and Michael Robinson.

Collins, a first-round NFL draft pick in 1995, has played for five teams in his 15-year career and currently is a backup for the Tennessee Titans. The San Francisco 49ers drafted Robinson in the fourth round in 2006 and promptly turned him into a running back.

Clark, on the other hand, is not highly regarded by NFL scouts or draft analysts.

"We currently have Clark as an undrafted free agent," said Rob Rang, senior analyst for NFLDraftScout.com/CBS Sports. "He still battles with inconsistency. Undersized and erratic accuracy-wise, he'll need a strong bowl game and postseason workouts to improve his stock."

NFLDraftScout.com ranks Clark the 17th-best quarterback prospect in the country and the 318th-best player overall.

"It's been an all-time dream [to play in the NFL] and I feel with everyone I've played with and against that has made it, it becomes more and more believable that you can make it as well," Clark said. "I feel like I've worked very hard, and I've come a long way, and you can't stop now. It's fairly close."

The Lions have a 21-4 record in games that Clark has started and they're 3-2 against ranked teams. But they were embarrassed in their two biggest home games this year, losing 21-10 to Iowa and 24-7 to Ohio State.

Clark and No. 11 Penn State (10-2) still have a chance to seal their season with a signature win by beating No. 13 LSU (9-3) New Year's Day in the Capital One Bowl.

"There's a lot being said about us not being able to win the big game or something like that," Clark said. "We've asked for a big game and we've asked for a worthy opponent, a really good opponent, and we found one in LSU."

Clark is well aware that a win in his final game could cement his legacy as one of the most productive quarterbacks in school history.

"It'll mean a lot, but that's not what I'm playing for," he said. "I'm not really focused on that."

Clark, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound senior co-captain from Youngstown, Ohio, leads the Big Ten in pass efficiency (145.7) and touchdown passes (23). He completed 214 of 346 passes (61.8 percent) for 2,787 yards en route to winning team MVP honors, but he also has thrown 10 interceptions.

"Daryll Clark is a fine quarterback and a strong leader," coach Joe Paterno said. "He has got a lot of ability. Whether I can tell you he's better than Todd Blackledge or better than Kerry Collins or anyone else, I don't like to do that.

"We've been fortunate that we've had [Clark]. He's had two years where we won 11 games last year and we've got 10 wins this year."

Paterno thinks Clark is "underrated" -- at least on the national level.

"I think there have been so many quarterbacks that have been on the scene longer than he has -- the kid at Florida [Tim Tebow], the kid at Texas [Colt McCoy]," Paterno said. "There's a whole bunch of kids that have really had outstanding years and have been maybe a little bit more spectacular in some of the games that they were involved in.

"I think it's not a question that people don't appreciate how good he is; they just think maybe some of the other guys are better."

Clark is looking forward to his matchup with LSU's Jordan Jefferson. The 19-year-old sophomore was the second-youngest quarterback to start a season-opener for LSU since Y.A. Tittle in 1945.

In 11 starts, Jefferson completed 169 of 272 passes for 1,964 yards. He threw 16 touchdown passes and six interceptions.

"I thought he managed the games that they played this year very well for a young guy," Clark said. "He's definitely a raw talent and makes plays with his feet, and he has a really live arm as well.

"For him to be playing in a really nice bowl, for him to lead a successful offense through a successful season, speaks volumes about what he can do for the football team."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09362...#ixzz0b0VJeYHQ

Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #294
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Lions in Orlando: As always, offensive line the key for Penn State
By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

ORLANDO - Penn State's offensive line enters pretty much every season and every big game as the primary question mark and/or concern.

In other words, the only consistent thing about the line is its remarkable long-term run of inconsistency.

It should come as no surprise, then, that the Nittany Lions' biggest key against LSU in the Capital One Bowl will be the guys in front of quarterback Daryll Clark.

Whether the line can hold off LSU's pressure and protect Clark is anyone's guess. If it can't - as was the case in losses to Iowa and Ohio State - predicting a Tiger victory would be an easy guess.

"From what I've seen, they are active, they fly around and they play hard, so we will have to match their intensity," right tackle Ako Poti said of LSU's defense.

How does it compare to the Hawkeyes and Buckeyes?

"They are just as active as Ohio State's [defense]," Poti said. "I don't know if they are as big as Iowa's, but they are really active."

Clark's career numbers against teams other than Iowa and Ohio State are excellent. Those just so happen to be the two most physical defensive fronts PSU has played the past two seasons, and the Lions were pushed around in the trenches by both.

Clark struggled in all four games, failing to prove he has the ability to be effective against consistent pressure.

Can he be against LSU?

Will he have to be?

His linemen will determine that.

Penn State's line has a chance to show how much - or how little - it has developed against the Tigers.

"They're big, and they've got plenty of speed down there," said left tackle Dennis Landolt, a third-team Associated Press All-American. "It should be a good challenge. They're a good, sound defense."

LSU's defensive line will try to take advantage of its speed rush to blow up the line of scrimmage and get to Clark. In that sense, it will be a battle of traditional Northern size and strength versus the supposedly quicker Southern players.

"I would be surprised if their front seven is any faster than ours," PSU center Stefen Wisniewski said. "Playing against [our] guys in practice, they play as well as anyone else in the country."

Wisniewski started every game, as did Landolt and right guard Lou Eliades. The Lions have had trouble, however, at the other two line spots.

Poti started the final seven regular-season games after injuries to DeOn'tae Pannell (four starts) and Nerraw McCormack (one). The opportunity was a long time coming for Poti, a junior-college transfer and fifth-year senior.

"I don't see myself as too much better than anyone behind me, so I need to give it my all on every play on the practice field," Poti said.

Pannell will make his third straight start at left guard. Matt Stankiewitch lasted only two games before losing the job, and Johnnie Troutman started eight games before giving way to Pannell.

Wisniewski got off to a slow start after making the transition from guard to center, but he progressed and earned all-Big Ten honors.

"It was tough," Wisniewski said, "but I felt that as the season progressed, I really got more and more comfortable to the point where the last half of the season, I really felt good there. I felt like I knew what I was doing and could just go out and attack, as opposed to trying to work out some of the little details."

Wisniewski was candid when asked if there were times he wished he still played guard.

"Sure, absolutely," he said. "I would be lying if I said I didn't. But center is fun, too.

"Being the boss is kind of fun. You're in charge of everything, which is kind of a cool thing. I imagine it is a little bit like what the quarterback feels like, but on a smaller scale."

The Lions know the game provides a great opportunity to beat a quality opponent and earn some team respect. It's an opportunity for the offensive linemen to do the same.

"If you went to a bowl and you're playing somebody that's maybe not as good, the bowl doesn't really help you much," Landolt said. "If you play somebody like this, you can really make yourself look good by winning."

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017

Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #295
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Remind you of a stadium a lot of people whine about?

Capital One Bowl: Turf woes at Citrus Bowl Stadium now a factor
Thursday, December 31, 2009

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The grass isn't always greener in the Sunshine State.

The bad turf conditions that have hampered Heinz Field for years have hit Citrus Bowl Stadium, where No. 11 Penn State will play No. 13 LSU tomorrow in the Capital One Bowl.

During Wisconsin's 20-14 win Tuesday night against Miami in the Champs Sports Bowl, the newly sodded field took a beating and likely contributed to a major knee injury to Miami running back Graig Cooper.

"I saw chunks and chunks of grass being popped up from play to play," Penn State quarterback Daryll Clark said yesterday. "The field conditions may be a bit of a problem with slipping and falling and whatnot.

"Our equipment guys will have to make sure we have screw-in cleats so that doesn't happen to us Friday."

Heather Allebaugh, press secretary for the city of Orlando, which owns the stadium, said eight Florida high school championship games were played on the field the two weeks before Christmas.

She said the field was re-sodded after the games, but the new turf hasn't taken hold because of the unusually chilly temperatures in the area.

"They have been working round the clock since after the game Tuesday night to make sure it is in good shape for Friday," Allebaugh said. "The only concern we have is that rain is being forecast for New Year's Eve."

The stadium, which opened in 1936 and is undergoing a major renovation, has a seating capacity of 65,438.

"We've played on fields like that before that haven't been in great condition, especially as the season goes on," outside linebacker Sean Lee said. "I don't think it will be too much of a problem."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09365...#ixzz0bHkh3JDp

Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #296
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Clark to Moye From 38 Yards Penn State 7, LSU 0

Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #297
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Josh Jasper 28 Yard FG is Good. Penn State 7, LSU 3

Old 01-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #298
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Colin Wagner 26 Yard Field Goal. Penn State 10, LSU 3

Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #299
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

The outback bowl should be embarrassed anyone has to play on that field.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #300
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
The outback bowl should be embarrassed anyone has to play on that field.
Don't ya mean Capital One? They're supposed to be replacing that field with Synthetic Turf Next Year.

Colin Wagner 18 yard Field Goal. Penn State 13, LSU 3 HALFTIME