Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #31
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017
Wisniewski must deal with change
By Cory Giger,cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Stefen Wisniewski not only is replacing the best center in the country, he's also replacing Penn State's best leader.

Oh, and he's learning a new position to boot.

Good luck with all that.

"It's really a lot different," Wisniewski said of his switch from guard to center. "It's actually kind of more different than I expected."

He's not phased by it, however, saying he views the move as "an opportunity, not as pressure."

Wisniewski has enjoyed having his predecessor, A.Q. Shipley, around this spring to help him adapt. Shipley, the Rimington Trophy winner as the nation's best center in 2008, has been working out at Penn State in preparation for the NFL draft.

"I'm excited to be filling in for the best center in the country because I got to learn from him," Wisniewski said. "I got to work with him last year, asking him how he blocks and things.

"He's been around this spring working out, so I've been bugging him all the time with questions - how do you step here, how do you use your hands here? It's really been a blessing having him around."

Shipley has no doubt Wisniewski will be able to handle the switch.

"The kid is an extremely smart kid," Shipley said. "He's going to be a heck of a center."

Wisniewski, a junior this fall, started 12 games at right guard last season and even earned one start as a true freshman in 2007. This year, he will be an integral part of a revamped offensive line that lost three starters - Shipley, left tackle Gerald Cadogan and left guard Rich Ohrnberger.

"He was a backup center last year; he played guard and center," PSU coach Joe Paterno said of Wisniewski. "He's a smart kid, and I think he can do both. Wisniewski comes from a football family. His uncle [Steve] and father [Leo] were great football players here. Young Wisniewski will be fine."

The center position is a natural leadership spot on the field, and Shipley excelled in that role. Wisniewski is still learning in that regard.

"The center is, whether he's a leader or not, he's kind of in charge of organizing everybody with calling the huddle and with calling the blocking schemes," Wisniewski said. "So everyone kind of has to look to the center anyway for some of those things."

He's only moving about a foot and a half to his left, but Wisniewski's new position offers one big difference.

"You have a lot less space to work with as a center - with the nose guard kind of being right on your face - as opposed to guard, where you've got a solid yard back off the ball of space to work with," Wisniewski said.

It may not sound like much, but it's a major adjustment.

"They're on you," Shipley said of the defensive linemen, "so it's being able to be laterally quick whenever you're blocking."

Wisniewski has to approach the center spot a little differently than Shipley because of his height. Wisniewski is 6-foot-3 and 302 pounds, while Shipley is two inches shorter at 6-1, 297.

"One advantage he had, being a little shorter, is he had an easier time with leverage," Wisniewski said.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #32
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/co...y/1211867.html

PENN STATE FOOTBALL
Clark’s skills sharp in live scrimmage
Jeff Rice

UNIVERSITY PARK — Three quarterbacks displayed three different stages of development Saturday as Penn State conducted a live scrimmage for reporters and high school coaches in Holuba Hall.

Senior quarterback Daryll Clark, the lone player in a red, no-contact jersey, was sharp and decisive in firstteam work during both the scrimmage and in prior 7-on-7 drills. His short passes were low and on target and most of his deep outs were accurate as well.

Working with the second team for all but a few snaps, true freshman Kevin Newsome had an up-and-down afternoon. His passes, thrown with a three-quarter, sidearm motion, had zip but often missed his intended targets. He seemed jumpy in the pocket, though defensive linemen from both the first and second-team defenses gave him little time to throw.

Newsome looked much more comfortable — and more efficient — as a ballcarrier, displaying good patience, vision and speed with a low-to-the- ground style.

Redshirt freshman walk-on Matt McGloin showed the difference between a freshman and a player with a year of college

experience, even if that experience came on the scout team. Though he lacked the arm strength of Clark and Newsome, McGloin was accurate on short balls and deep balls, at one point connecting with fellow walk-on and Philipsburg-Osceola alumnus J.D. Mason for considerable gains on consecutive plays.

There were, by necessity, a few new faces on the firstteam units.

Wide receivers Brett Brackett, Graham Zug and Derek Moye joined tight ends Andrew Quarless and Mickey Shuler as Clark’s targets. Sophomore fullback Joe Suhey lined up in front of tailback Evan Royster. The firstteam offensive line included sophomore DeOn’tae Pannell at left tackle, redshirt freshman Matt Stankiewitch at left guard, Stefen Wisniewski at center, junior Lou Eliades at right guard and Dennis Landolt at right tackle.

Sophomore defensive ends Jack Crawford and Kevion Latham showed burst and power and joined veteran defensive tackles Jared Odrick and Ollie Ogbu on the first-team line. Michael Mauti, Josh Hull and Navorro Bowman were the first-team linebackers (senior Sean Lee took reps on the inside for a few plays before the scrimmage). Seniors Knowledge Timmons and A.J. Wallace were the firstteam cornerbacks, with sophomore Drew Astorino at free safety and sophomore Andrew Dailey, a converted linebacker, at strong safety.

Sophomore Chaz Powell, senior James McDonald and redshirt freshman A.J. Price were the second-team wide receivers. Shuler and Andrew Szczerba split second-team reps at tight end. Sophomore Brandon Beachum ran the ball well as the second-team tailback (sophomore Stephfon Green and junior Brent Carter are sitting out the spring with injuries) behind an offensive line of left tackle Nerraw McCormack, left guard Johnnie Troutman, center Quinn Barham, right guard James Terry and right tackle Ako Poti. Both McCormack and Poti will enter their final seasons after transferring from junior colleges in 2007.

The second-team defensive line included ends Pete Massaro and Eric Latimore and tackles Abe Koroma and Devon Still. State College’s Nathan Stupar joined Chris Colasanti and Bani Gbadyu on a second-team linebacking corps that made big plays against all three offensive units. Sophomore D’Anton Lynn and senior Devin Fen-tress were the second-team cornerbacks; sophomore Nick Sukay was the free safety and junior Cedric Jeffries was the strong safety.

Third-team players of note included sophomore defensive tackle Brandon Ware, who gave Stankiewitch all he could handle on a few plays; true freshman safety Gerald Hodges; converted tight end Jon Ditto at outside linebacker; converted linebacker Shaine Thompson at tailback and Penns Valley’s Ethan Hull, Josh’s younger brother, at right guard.

The Nittany Lions will conclude spring practices with the Blue-White game on April 25 in Beaver Stadium.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #33
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Personally I think the Ohio State game needs to be a night game. No Reason for it to be 3:30. It should be an 8:00 ESPN/ABC Game.
If both teams look like they are gouing to be undefeated, I think they'll move it. I know the Buckeyes will be up for that...they LOVE playing in front of that crowd in a white out!
Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #34
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
If both teams look like they are gouing to be undefeated, I think they'll move it. I know the Buckeyes will be up for that...they LOVE playing in front of that crowd in a white out!
Both sides do. Beaver Stadium and Ohio Stadium both in my opinion are the toughest stadiums to play in in the Big Ten.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #35
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Come on Navoro. Don't screw up your carrier.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09115/965583-100.stm
Paterno: Linebacker flunked random drug test
Saturday, April 25, 2009
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. --- Penn State coach Joe Paterno said today that troubled outside linebacker Navorro Bowman recently flunked a random drug test administered by the school.

"Sometime we tested him and he was positive, and we were aware of that," Paterno said prior to the Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium.

Bowman violated his probation last week --- he admitted to smoking marijuana -- and was given an additional year by Centre County Judge Bradley Lunsford.

Lunsford told Bowman if he violates his probation again, he will be sentenced to six months in jail.

Paterno said he will meet with Bowman next week to decide his punishment. Bowman, a first-team All-Big Ten Conference performer, did not suit up for today's final spring scrimmage.

"I don't want to overreact," Paterno said. "He's been a pretty good kid. But, on the other hand, he's got to solve his problem, and we'll see how we work it out next week."

Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #36
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Congratulations to all Penn State Football Players who were drafted/signed to an Undrafted Free Agent Contract. Good Luck in the pros and make us proud!!!

Aaron Maybin-(Buffalo)
Derrick Williams-(Detroit)
Deon Butler-(Seattle)
Rich Ohrnberger-(New England)
A.Q. Shipley-(Pittsburgh)

UDFA
Jordan Norwood-(Cleveland)

Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #37
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

The hometown kid: Steelers draft PSU’s Shipley in 7th round
Butler, Williams, Ohrnberger also picked in draft
By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

Penn State's A.Q. Shipley had a frustrating afternoon waiting to hear his name called.

Then the phone rang. It was the Pittsburgh Steelers, his hometown team, and suddenly Shipley's disappointment turned into elation.

"I couldn't be happier," the former Nittany Lion standout told the Mirror. "This is a dream come true, obviously, growing up a Steelers fan."

Shipley, an All-American center for the Lions in 2008, had hoped to be selected in the middle rounds of the NFL draft. He slipped all the way to seventh and final round, but he ended up in what he calls "as good of an opportunity as I could walk into."

Center was a need for the Steelers - veteran Justin Hartwig was the only experienced player at the position last season - and Shipley's name had been mentioned as a possibility in pre-draft speculation. He was the 17th pick of the seventh round and 226th overall.

"I obviously thought I was going to go higher," Shipley said. "I was waiting around all day for the call, and when I finally get the call and it's the Pittsburgh Steelers, I was like a little kid in a candy store."

Shipley is from Coraopolis, just outside of Pittsburgh, and attended Moon Area High School. He stayed close to home for college in Happy Valley and will be even closer to home playing on Sundays at Heinz Field.

"From my dad in the '70s all the way until now, my family has been as big of Steelers fans as there is," Shipley said.

Shipley waited longer than expected to be drafted, while Penn State receiver Deon Butler went much earlier than many people projected.

Butler, the Lions' career receptions leader, was selected in the third round by the Seattle Seahawks.

"That's a great fit," Butler said. "I'm a wide receiver, and any time a team throws the ball like [they do], you like that."

Butler's draft stock soared after he ran a 4.38 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. had Butler rated higher on his draft board than Penn State teammate Derrick Williams, who also went in the third round to the Detroit Lions.

"I felt comfortable that it was going to be the third or fourth round, but there was cautious optimism because you never know how it plays out," Butler said.

"I felt real good when there was a little run on receivers in the third round early on."

Williams was selected with the 18th pick of the third round, and Butler was taken nine spots later at 27th.

"Seattle wanted me to fit their system, and I think it's a great system for me," Butler said. "I'm real excited and just ready to go out there and make some plays."

Butler got a call from Seahawks coach Jim Mora two minutes before he was selected.

"Coach Mora said, 'You ready to be a Seahawk?' and I was ready," Butler said.

Williams had hoped to go in the second round but instead wound up with a Lions team that went 0-16 last season.

Penn State guard Rich Ohrnberger went much higher than most expected as he was selected by the New England Patriots with the 23rd pick of the fourth round.

Another surprise was that PSU left tackle Gerald Cadogan, projected as high as a third-round pick by some, did not get drafted.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #38
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quarless, Wallace must step up for Penn State
Commentary
By Cory Giger, cgiger@altoonamirror.com

UNIVERSITY PARK - It's time for Andrew Quarless and A.J. Wallace to live up to their hype.

If they don't, they will forever kick themselves for wasting a ton of talent.

It can be argued Quarless and Wallace are two of the most physically gifted players on the Penn State football team, and fans have been discussing their breakout potential since both had impressive freshman seasons in 2006.

Instead of emerging into stardom, both players have had more downs than ups the past two seasons and have spent the better part of their careers in Joe Paterno's dreaded doghouse.

Both of them now know there is a sense of urgency as they prepare for their senior year.

"I need to step up and do what I have to do early," Wallace, a cornerback, said. "I had a couple setbacks here and there, but I feel I just got to fight through what I have to fight through and make sure I can get to that point where I want to be."

Quarless, a tight end, had an emphatic answer when asked if he has undergone an attitude adjustment.

"Definitely, definitely, definitely," he said. "Just more committed, just working every day in practice, playing every practice like it's a game."

Quarless looked like a future NFL star when he caught everything thrown his way as a freshman. He finished with 21 catches for 288 yards and two touchdowns and had a knack for creating space for himself over the middle.

Quarless' freshman season ended well - he caught a touchdown pass from Anthony Morelli in the Outback Bowl against Tennessee - but his career downturn started before his sophomore season began.

He was suspended for the first two games of the 2007 season after an underage drinking violation in August of that year. He also was slapped with a DUI in March of 2008.

Quarless lost his starting job to Mickey Shuler but still has received a lot of playing time the past two years. He has not been the sure-handed receiver, however, that he showed in 2006 as he has dropped numerous balls because of what has appeared to be a lack of concentration.

He caught 14 passes for 205 yards and two TDs in 2007 and had just 11 catches for 117 yards and one score last season.

Quarless also has looked lazy at times and has not dedicated himself to becoming a better blocker. Some of that may have been a byproduct of the Nittany Lions not using the tight end much in the passing game, leading Quarless to lose interest.

"Last year we had great wide receivers," Quarless said. "We still have great wide receivers this year, but you know those guys were just really making the plays for us, and it was working so you keep doing what you've got to do to win."

The Lions will need a rededicated Quarless to help them win this season. With a young receiving corps, he can be a valuable asset to quarterback Daryll Clark.

Quarless looked sharp in Saturday's Blue-White Game, catching four passes for 52 yards, so maybe that was a sign of things to come this fall.

Quarless agreed when asked if his early success may have come too easy for him.

"In a sense, maybe," he said.

"Just think about it, it was a lot," he later added. "I came in at 17 years old. You know as the years progressed I got into some things, but now I feel like I've grown into a young man that is on track."

Wallace had a strong freshman season playing on both sides of the ball. He averaged 24.2 yards per return on 16 kickoff attempts and gained 153 yards on eight rushes for an average of 19.1. He had five plays of more than 40 yards, and on defense he had 10 tackles at cornerback.

Wallace had his best season in 2007, starting the final four games at cornerback and returning a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown against Ohio State. He finished that season with an interception and fumble recovery in the Alamo Bowl against Texas A&M.

Staying healthy has been Wallace's biggest problem. He suffered a hamstring injury in preseason camp last year - that lingered and played a role in him losing his job to Lydell Sargeant - and he endured another hamstring injury this spring.

One reason he gets injured so much may be his questionable work ethic, which has frustrated Paterno.

"It may come with a lack of stretching," Wallace said. "It takes me a little bit longer than everybody else to warm up."

Instead of warming up properly, he has unwisely cut corners.

"When this happened [this spring], I had missed like [individual] period, so everybody was warmed up and I just jumped out into one-on-ones," Wallace said. "So it was I put myself into a situation where I should have just tried to warm up first and then go out, but I just wanted to compete right away and then that happened."

Wallace said he is "absolutely" disappointed about missing opportunities during his career.

"I used to get down on myself, but I just talked to a few people and they just told me to keep my head up, everything happens for a reason," he said. "So I guess the man upstairs has something planned for me bigger, so I'm here for my fourth year for a reason."

That reason will be to help lead an inexperienced secondary that lost all four starters.

Wallace and Quarless have one last chance to make their mark in college and impress NFL scouts. Both have the skills to play at the next level, and they need to come out and prove this fall how badly they want it.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #39
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09115/965423-143.stm
Penn State Spring Game: QB Clark expresses confidence in backup
Starter says No. 2 freshman quarterback Newsome showing a lot of improvement
Saturday, April 25, 2009

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State's Daryll Clark has thoroughly enjoyed tutoring freshman quarterback Kevin Newsome in spring practice.

Newsome, a 6-foot-2, 225-pound freshman who has been enrolled in school since January, is being groomed to serve as Clark's backup this fall.

Clark said he expects Newsome to see considerable playing time today in the Blue-White game at Beaver Stadium, where a crowd of approximately 70,000 is expected.

"He's developed a lot," Clark said. "He's way more on time with his passes than he was when he came out at the start of spring practice. That's always good. Our defensive line is one of the best in the country, so they did a good job of getting after him a little bit and getting him a little frustrated at times.

"It's a slow process, but he's doing very well now. Honestly, I think he's going to play very, very well [today]. I think he's going to light the scoreboard up."

The transfer of Pat Devlin to Division I-AA Delaware late last season left the Nittany Lions very thin at quarterback.

Newsome, who spurned Michigan to sign with Penn State, is the only scholarship quarterback on the roster besides Clark, a senior who has been wearing a red no-contact jersey all spring.

Redshirt freshman walk-on Matt McGloin has been running No. 3 on the depth chart.

"Kevin is a work in progress," Clark said. "He's getting better every day, so him being the backup I feel is not going to be a problem at all. And yes, he has been taking a majority of the No. 2 team reps, and McGloin is a guy that mixes in as well. Sometimes, Kevin will take the No. 1 reps to see how he responds to that."

Center Stefen Wisniewski from Central Catholic High School, who has moved over from guard, also has been impressed with Newsome's strong arm and running ability.

"He's been adjusting," Wisniewski said.

"He's freakishly athletic. He gets rushed in the pocket and he gets out of that pocket in a second. He's making plays that have your jaw dropping.

"He still makes mistakes, as you'd expect, like throwing a pick here and there. Once we get through fall camp, he'll have good enough hold to be a solid backup quarterback."

Clark, a first-team All-Big Ten Conference quarterback last season, said he's not sure what the quarterback rotation will be for the scrimmage.

"I do know I'll be wearing the red jersey," he said. "I really don't know how many plays I'll play. Hopefully, I'll be able to play a lot.

"I don't really want to take any breaks or anything like that. ... Everyone is going to get a shot. The quarterbacks are going to get a lot of reps."

When Clark finally does get meaningful playing time in the fall, he said he might have to alter his running style to avoid any more concussions.

"I think this year going into the season I'm going to really work on protecting my body," Clark said.

"Some hits that I took last year, I'm going to try not to take those hits. I'm going to slide or get out of bounds because I can't afford to have another concussion.

"I want to be in every play of the season. I feel like I'm important to this team; I want to be important to this team and I want to help -- not hurt -- this football team. So, I've evaluated some of that and thought a little bit about what I have to do in order to preserve the body."

Old 04-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #40
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09116/965684-143.stm
Penn State Football: WR Moye thinks he's ready at last to make giant strides
Sunday, April 26, 2009

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State wide receiver Derek Moye has excellent speed, reliable hands and an even better attitude.

He hopes to blossom into a big-time playmaker for the Nittany Lions this fall.

"I still have a lot of work to do, but I hope this is my year," Moye said yesterday after the White beat the Blue, 21-16, before a record crowd of 76,500 fans in the annual spring game at Beaver Stadium.

"I can be a playmaker. I just have to work on being more consistent and catching the ball."

Moye, a 6-foot-5, 195-pound redshirt sophomore from Rochester High School, is among a whole new group of wide receivers now that three of the best wideouts in school history -- Derrick Williams, Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood -- have departed.

Moye was one of three starters for the Blue team yesterday, joining redshirt junior Graham Zug and redshirt sophomore Chaz Powell. Redshirt junior Brett Brackett and senior James McDonald started for the White squad.

"Derek Moye has a combination of size and speed that you don't see very often," Brackett said.

Brackett and Zug had touchdown receptions yesterday, while Moye had two catches for 29 yards.

"I think he's improved tremendously over a short amount of time," said quarterback Daryll Clark, who wore a red, no-contact jersey. "He's going to be one of our go-to guys. He's a bigger target, very fast and he can catch."

Moye played in 10 games last season. He had three catches for 71 yards and one touchdown. Moye has shown plenty of explosiveness and quickness this spring.

"He has a chance to be good," coach Joe Paterno said.

In other news, Paterno said that troubled outside linebacker Navorro Bowman recently flunked a random drug test administered by the school.

"Sometimes, we tested him and he was positive, and we were aware of that," Paterno said.

Bowman, who did not suit up yesterday, admitted last week to smoking marijuana and was given an additional year of probation by Centre County Judge Bradley Lunsford.

Lunsford told Bowman if he violates his probation again, he will be sentenced to six months in jail.

Paterno said he will meet with Bowman -- a first-team All-Big Ten pick last year -- next week to decide his punishment.

"I don't want to over-react," Paterno said. "He's been a pretty good kid. But, on the other hand, he's got to solve his problem, and we'll see how we work it out next week."

The decision regarding Bowman could impact what position fifth-year Sean Lee from Upper St. Clair plays this fall.

"I will play wherever they need me," said Lee, who was held out of the game yesterday while recovering from a torn ACL. "But I want to play with Navorro."

Paterno said oft-injured redshirt sophomore free safety Nick Sukay from Greensburg Central has made great progress.

"This is the first time we've had him more than 5 or 6 days in a row at practice, and he's getting better," Paterno said. "Whether he's going to be good enough to beat out somebody in our secondary, I don't know yet."

NOTES -- Freshman quarterback Kevin Newsome completed 9 of 13 passes for 71 yards and one touchdown, while Clark was 10 of 13 for 123 yards. Newsome also had two carries for 7 yards. ... Sophomore outside linebacker Michael Mauti captured the Jim O'Hora Award as the most-improved defensive player; Zug the Red Worrell Award as the most-improved offensive player; and Brackett the Frank Patrick Award, which honors the top junior. ... Redshirt sophomore linebacker JonDitto (Gateway) recovered a fumble and had four tackles. Redshirt freshman linebacker Mike Yancich (Trinity) also had four tackles.