Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #51
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Penn State Football Thread

Trust me, it's not gonna happen.

But they may score sopme points against the Lions. Their offense should be pretty good.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #52
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...052909aaf.html
Four Nittany Lions Named To Athlon Pre-Season All-America Teams
Penn State No. 7 in Pre-season Top 25
May 29, 2009

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; - Athlon Sports' College Football 2009 has named four Penn Staters to its pre-season All-America teams and recognized seven Nittany Lions on its All-Big Ten teams.

Junior linebacker Navorro Bowman (District Heights, Md.) and junior tailback Evan Royster (Fairfax, Va,) were selected as second team pre-season All-Americans and first team All-Big Ten.

Senior defensive tackle Jared Odrick (Lebanon) and junior center Stefen Wisniewski (Bridgeville) were named third team pre-season All-Americans and first team all-conference.

Senior quarterback Daryll Clark (Youngstown, Ohio) and senior tackle Dennis Landolt (Burlington, N.J.) also were named to Athlon's first team All-Big Ten squad. Senior linebacker Sean Lee (Pittsburgh) was a second team all-conference choice as he returns to the field after missing the 2008 season with a knee injury.

Bowman, Clark and Odrick were first team All-Big Ten and Wisniewski was on the second team in 2008, helping Penn State to its second Big Ten title and Bowl Championship Series berth in the past four years.

Clark, a 2009 co-captain with Lee, is on the cover of Athlon's Penn State regional edition, which goes on sale June 2. Athlon has Penn State ranked No. 7 in its pre-season Top 25.

Penn State has earned one of the nation's Top 10 records since the start of the 2005 season, posting a 40-11 (78.4) mark, good for No. 9 nationally. The Nittany Lions finished No. 8 in the nation last year with an 11-2 record, earning its 22nd Top 10 finish under Coach Joe Paterno.

Entering his 44th season as head coach and 60th on the Penn State coaching staff, the Hall of Fame coach returns 37 letterwinners and 10 starters for the 2009 campaign. The Nittany Lions host Akron on Sept. 5 to open the season.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #53
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...060109aad.html
Trio of Nittany Lions Selected to National Football Foundation's Hampshire Honor Society
Seniors Who Earned 3.20 Grade Point Average or Higher Are Eligible
June 1, 2009

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.; - A trio of Penn State Football student-athletes have been selected the National Football Foundation's Hampshire Honor Society for the 2008 season.

Nittany Lion tackle Gerald Cadogan (Portsmouth, Ohio), placekicker Kevin Kelly (Langhorne) and safety Mark Rubin (Amherst, N.Y.) were selected for the honor.

In order to be considered for membership in the Hampshire Honor Society, a player must be a starter or significant reserve who maintains a cumulative 3.20 grade point average or higher in their last year of eligibility at an accredited NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision, Football Championship Subdivision, Division II, Division III, or an NAIA college or university.

In its third year, the NFF Hampshire Honor Society capitalizes on the NFF's current National Scholar-Athlete program, greatly expanding the number of scholar-athletes the NFF can recognize each year and further strengthening its leadership role in encouraging academic performance by the student-athletes who play football at the more than 700 college and universities with football programs.

A starter in all 26 games the past two seasons, Cadogan was selected first team All-Big Ten by the media and coaches in 2008. He played an instrumental role in Penn State ranking in the Top 20 nationally in rushing (17th, 205.9 ypg), total (14th, 448.9 ypg) and scoring offense (11th, 38.9 ppg). Cadogan graduated with degrees in psychology and rehabilitation services and earned his second selection as a first team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American®, one of a program-record four Nittany Lions so honored in 2008. Cadogan became just the sixth Nittany Lion to earn first team accolades twice, joining the likes of Jeff Hartings (1994, '95) and Paul Posluszny (2005, `06). He was a four-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree.

Cadogan signed with the NFL's Carolina Panthers.

Kelly made a tremendous impact on the fortunes of the Nittany Lions the past four seasons and ranks among college football's most prolific kickers of all-time. Kelly etched his name into the Penn State, Big Ten, and NCAA record books and led the Big Ten in kick scoring with a school season record 120 points. He owns four of the top six season kick scoring totals in Penn State annals. Kelly, who graduated last month, was selected first team All-Big Ten by the coaches. He was a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree.

Kelly finished his career with 425 career points, which includes a touchdown run at Michigan State in 2007 and a two-point conversion run at Michigan as a freshman. His total ranks second in Big Ten history, just one point shy of the record of 426 points by Wisconsin tailback Ron Dayne. He also ranks fourth in NCAA career overall scoring. The Big Ten career field goal leader, he made 78 career field goals, good enough for a tie for No. 8 on the NCAA career list. Kelly owns one NCAA mark, having connected on at least one field goal in 31 consecutive games until he did not have an attempt against Michigan State in the 2008 regular season finale.

A starter at safety every game last season, Rubin's fumble hit on Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor provided the momentum boost that led to Penn State's game-winning fourth quarter touchdown in the dramatic13-6 victory. Rubin was huge in the win, recording a career-high 11 tackles (nine solo) and won the Pontiac Game Changing Performance, Walter Camp Football Foundation National Defensive Player of the Week and Big Ten Defensive accolades. Rubin was fifth on the team with 60 tackles, had one TFL, two interceptions and one huge fumble hit.

Rubin, who signed with the St. Louis Rams, also distinguished himself as one of the Nittany Lions' top students. He began taking MBA classes during the 2008 fall semester. He graduated with a 3.80 grade point average and was selected a first team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American®, joining Cadogan as one of a program-record four Nittany Lions so honored in 2008. A starter in six games as a true freshman wide receiver in 2004, he was a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree as well.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #54
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09154/974929-100.stm
Penn State lands another top WPIAL recruit
Wednesday, June 03, 2009
By Mike White, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penn State has landed yet another WPIAL football player from the class of 2010.

Tom Ricketts, an offensive lineman at North Allegheny High School, decided today that he will attend Penn State. Ricketts, who will be a senior this fall, made a verbal commitment to Penn State defensive coordinator Tom Bradley.

Ricketts (6 feet 6, 265 pounds) is the fifth WPIAL player from the class of 2010 to choose Penn State. It was the second day in a row Penn State landed a top WPIAL lineman. Fox Chapel's Miles Dieffenbach committed Tuesday.

The decisions of Ricketts and Dieffenbach are blows to Pitt because the Panthers were in the running for both. Also, Ricketts' father, Tom, was a standout lineman at Pitt in the 1980s. Ricketts' mother, Sandy, was a swimmer at Pitt. Tom and Sandy Ricketts also have season tickets to Pitt football games.

Dieffenbach's father is Pitt's womens tennis coach.

"My dad is very supportive with my decision," said the younger Ricketts. "He's probably a little surprised, I think. He may not admit that. I don't know if he ever thought his son would be in this situation. But he's happy for me. He doesn't hold anything against Pitt or Penn State. He just wanted what was best for me and this is what's best for me."

Ricketts said his final decision came down to Pitt and Penn State. His other top choices were Boston College, Florida State, Maryland, Stanford and Virginia. All offered scholarships.

Pitt also was recruiting the other three players who chose Penn State - Sto-Rox quarterback Paul Jones, Canon-McMillan linebacker Mike Hull and Penn-Trafford offensive lineman Luke Graham. Bradley recruited all five players.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/09154/974...xzz0HPtwalEz&B

Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #55
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

I'm glad to see these top recruits from the Pittsburgh area make the right choices in going to Penn State rather than some loser school like Pitt
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:22 PM   #56
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
I'm glad to see these top recruits from the Pittsburgh area make the right choices in going to Penn State rather than some loser school like Pitt
I'll welcome all the good talent the WPIAL has to offer to Penn State.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 AM   #57
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09163/976897-143.stm
Lions make inroads into WPIAL again
Friday, June 12, 2009
By Ron Musselman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. -- Penn State coach Joe Paterno, 82, has left campus only three times in the past three years to visit a high school prospect.

Paterno's previous recruiting trip took place 17 months ago, when he went to Jeannette High School and tried to persuade quarterback Terrelle Pryor, the nation's No. 1 recruit, to sign with Penn State.

Paterno's late push did not work, although Pryor delayed his decision until six weeks after national signing day before picking Ohio State.

Despite Paterno's lack of visits, it does not seem to have had much of a negative impact on Penn State's overall recruiting.

That is especially true in Western Pennsylvania, where defensive coordinator Tom Bradley has regained the upper hand on his counterparts from Pitt.

Of the seven players who have given the Nittany Lions verbal commitments for 2010, five are from the WPIAL. They are linebacker Mike Hull (Canon-McMillan High School), quarterback Paul Jones (Sto-Rox) and offensive linemen Luke Graham (Penn-Trafford), Miles Dieffenbach (Fox Chapel) and Tom Ricketts (North Allegheny).

Asked at a media gathering last night if Western Pennsylvania had once again become a fertile recruiting ground, Paterno said: "I can't touch it."

NCAA rules prohibit Paterno from commenting on recruits before they have has signed a national letter of intent, but fifth-year linebacker Sean Lee from Upper St. Clair said Bradley should be commended for a job well done.

"It's pretty obvious coach Bradley is doing a great job of recruiting in Western Pennsylvania," Lee said. "It's a good deal for us."

Lee and junior center Stefen Wisniewski from Central Catholic are among 10 Western Pennsylvania players on the current roster. They were recruited by Bradley, who also landed standout linebackers LaVar Arrington (North Hills), Paul Posluszny (Hopewell) and Brandon Short (McKeesport) and center A.Q. Shipley (Moon) through the years.

"There's always been lot of talent in Western Pennsylvania," Wisniewski said. "I'm glad to hear that we have so many commitments for next year already."

Losing Ricketts and Dieffenbach to Penn State on back-to-back days last week was a major blow to Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt, who had been in the running for both.

Ricketts' father, Tom, was a standout lineman at Pitt in the 1980s and a No. 1 pick of the Steelers. His mother, Sandy, was a swimmer for the Panthers. And the Rickettses have season tickets to Pitt football games.

Dieffenbach's father, George, is the long-time women's tennis coach at Pitt.

Jones, who waffled on his verbal commitment a few times early in the process, is rated as a five-star prospect by Scout.com; Ricketts, Dieffenbach and Hull received four stars and Graham three.

"Obviously, [the recruits] realize that football is alive and well at Penn State again," Wisniewski said. "It will be nice to get some more Western Pennsylvania guys on board. I'll be one of the first guys in line to help welcome them."

When Lee arrived on campus in 2005, the Lions had four losing seasons in the previous five. But they have rebounded to win 40 games over the past four seasons and two Big Ten Conference titles and to post a 3-1 record in bowl games.

"When I first got here, people were ticked, they were mad," Lee said. "They were tired of losing. They wanted to win games. They didn't want any more excuses.

"It was guys like Paul Posluszny and Michael Robinson who said, 'We're tired of losing. We're going to work as hard as we can in the offseason and we're going to do everything possible we can to win games.' That attitude has kind of trickled down.

"Coach Paterno still has a lot of fire, integrity and passion. A lot of our success has to do with him. Even at 82, he's still getting it done."

Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #58
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten....html?nav=5017
Penn State gets DE commitment
By Philip Cmor,pcmor@altoonamirror.com

Kyle Baublitz decided to make his mother's birthday a little more memorable by picking a college where he'd attend and play football.

"I wanted to make it special,'' Baublitz said.

In doing so, Baublitz also gave a gift to the Penn State football program and its fans when the Central York star gave the Nittany Lions their eighth verbal commitment for their 2010 recruiting class.

A middle linebacker in high school racking up 166 tackles as a junior whose is ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 5 tight end and No. 131 prospect in the country, the 6-foot-4, 256-pound Baublitz expects to play defensive end in college. He had 20 written offers, and eventually chose Penn State over Pitt and Virginia.

"It was close to home, and I liked the coaching staff. Coach [Larry] Johnson is awesome,'' said Baublitz on his reasons for picking Penn State. "It felt like home. I felt really comfortable there.''

Baublitz was at the Blue-White game this spring and came to University Park for the Michigan and Illinois games last season.

Word had not reached Mansion Park, where the West team is practicing for this week's PSFCA East West All-Star Game, until Monday afternoon. Trinity receiver Christian Kuntz, who has signed with the Nittany Lions, was excited when he heard. West assistant Ron Miller is very familiar with Baublitz, having coached against him the last two years at West York.

"Obviously, he's an extremely gifted athlete, and, for his size, physically, he's just monstrous. He runs sideline to sideline pretty well for his size. We know where he's at all the time. Put it that way,'' Miller said. "He made a couple plays on us on the corner last year. I felt we had a pretty good running back, and he caught him.

"He just has a presence on the field.''

Central York coach Brad Livingston believes playing with his hand on the ground is in Baublitz's best longterm interest but has put him in the middle of his defense so opposing teams couldn't run away from him. Baublitz said his two favorite NFL players are Brian Urlacher and James Harrison.

"He was an all-league middle linebacker as a freshman. He never acted like a freshman,'' Livingston said. "One thing that's great about him is you would never know he was being so highly recruited. He's pretty humble.''

Livingston knows Baublitz very well - in the spring, he coaches him in volleyball, too. Baublitz is an outside hitter on the Panthers' state-qualifying team.

"It's my fun sport, and it keeps me in shape,'' Baublitz said of volleyball. "It helps my agility. Every year, I've improved my vertical jump.''

Baublitz got into football by following in the footsteps of his older brother, Nate, and plans to study education to become a teacher like his father. In his free time, he likes to swim and go golfing with his dad.

"I don't play, though. I'll be my dad's caddy,'' Baublitz said. "I like driving the cart.''

Penn State is expected to sign approximately 18 recruits in its 2010 class.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #59
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????
http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local...168235544.html
Quote:
The Sycamores will play at Cincinnati in 2010 and at Penn State on Sept. 3, 2011. The prestige of playing the Bearcats and Nittany Lions — Cincinnati was a BCS participant in 2008, Penn State is a household name and traditional power is nice. The combined $775,000 ISU athletics will get from the games is even better from ISU’s perspective.
This is ridiculous. Why not schedule an extra MAC School over a I-AA School?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #60
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/co...xzz0JEAe7ukI&D
Pressure mounts as Nittany Lions move forward
By Jeff Rice
- jrice@centredaily.com

No one will be more excited about Sean Lee's return to the field than the Penn State linebacker himself, who on occasion gets so amped up watching people simply talk about college football on television that he has to change the channel.

His quarterback is just as ready for the show.

“I just can’t wait to see him in pads,” Daryll Clark said. “Other than a photo shoot.”

Clark, who led Penn State’s offense on the field in 2008, and Lee, who led the defense off it, are literally the cover boys for the program, if not the entire Big Ten, heading into 2009. The two halves of the Nittany Lions couldn’t have asked for more qualified leaders.

The question of the season, of course, is can the rest of the team keep up?

At several positions, the Nittany Lions have likely first-team Big Ten players, a group that includes Clark, Lee, tailback Evan Royster, offensive linemen Stefen Wisniewski and Dennis Landolt, linebacker Navorro Bowman and defensive tackle Jared Odrick. At several others, they have first-year starters. There aren’t too many players who fall between those extremes.

The Nittany Lions are expecting big plays from the first group, but to repeat as conference champions or make a return trip to Pasadena, it will be the everyday plays — and the ability to avoid disaster — made by the second group that will be the difference.

“We’ve got to get some young guys better,” head coach Joe Paterno said Thursday. “I’m a little concerned about a couple of people in the secondary, a little concerned about a couple people on the offensive line, but that’s what we get paid for. We’ve got to coach them.”

Paterno and his assistants, per NCAA rules, won’t get to do any hands-on coaching until mid-August. Until then, the Nittany Lions belong to Lee and Clark, whose duties include pushing their current teammates as well as serving as the welcoming committee for the freshmen scheduled to arrive at the end of the month.

“(You have to) make them realize that you’re here for them, but at the same time, you have to work for us,” Clark said. “We need everyone.”

The Nittany Lions don’t know who they’ll need to fill some of the gaps left by the 2008 seniors. Maybe Andrew Dailey, Knowledge Timmons and DeOn’tae Pannell are the next strong safety, cornerback and left tackle. But maybe by midseason, those jobs will belong to Gerald Hodges, Darrell Givens and Eric Shrive.

The Nittany Lions and their fans must be patient, to a point, with whomever emerges in the supporting roles.

“No doubt they’re going to make some mistakes; you have to make mistakes to become a better football player,” Lee said. “Athletically, they’re fine. It’s just a matter of time until they’re really good football players.”

How do they make that transition? Most of it can only come with game experience, but the younger Lions can get a good start by watching their captains, both perfectionists who relentlessly study game film of themselves for rare and miniscule flaws.

Asked Thursday if they ever took some vacation time during the summer (even Paterno allows himself a week or two at the Jersey Shore), both players just laughed.

“The sooner you see this as more of a job, as an internship, the more you’re going to like it,” Lee said. “There’s going to be certain things that aren’t always going to be fun but that you’ll have to do to have success. And the sooner you get over the fact that you’re gonna be here a lot if you want to be successful, the better off you’re gonna be.”

Both Clark and Lee are consummate team guys who hate to use the word “I” when breaking down a game. But they’re also both competitors who want to have the ball (or knock it loose) when the game is on the line, and they know they’ll be expected to perform in those situations this fall.

“I think the pressure is there a little bit,” Clark said. “But it’s not pressure that we can’t handle. This past season helped me out because (now) I know what type of situations we may face and how to handle them.

“You can only get better as a football team going through everything. Once it’s done, everything falls into place.”

Get the pads ready.