Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Dick LeBeau's Mount Everest Expectations

Dick LeBeau's Mount Everest Expectations
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ions/show_full
by Phillip Bunting (Contributor)

March 06, 2009

Pepto Bismol could be the choice of beverage around the league for offensive coordinators, and here it is:

Dick LeBeau Steelers defensive coordinator stated there is still room for Outside Linebackers James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley to improve. Last season they both combined for 27.5 sacks.

“It's a challenge for us from a coaching standpoint to keep expanding, giving them stuff that can make us better.” LeBeau said, “I think they will get better.”

At the Steelers' South Side practice facility in Lebeau's office, that challenge points out notes covering a dry erase board.

Throughout the season, plays, thoughts, and innovations that come to mind are written down by LeBeau. Those small pieces of paper that he sorts though are thrown away after Dick separates his ideas, which may be worth a try from the ones that are worth discarding.

LeBeau said, “I've probably got 50 ideas up there.”

Practices during the offseason probably generate only has a few brainstorms of his that are not worth a look at, given LeBeau's success.

Since the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles who lead the NFL in passing, rushing, and total defense, the Steelers last season were the closest to match them. A Steelers single-season duo sack record was set by Woodley and Harrison.

NFL experience between the both of them only three years apart in years started is what lead LeBeau to the conclusion that they both still have lots of upside.

Woodley and Harrison, who is in his final contract year, will be returning among leaders on a defense last year might just lose one starter. In all likelihood to sign somewhere else is unrestricted free agent Cornerback Bryant McFadden.

Though don't expect a missing beat from the unit that has held the least points allowed for 2008 in the NFL, for the likely replacement of McFadden if he doesn't return is Cornerback William Gay in which the Steelers look high upon.

As a Louisville second-year man, Gay, while McFadden and Deshea Townsend were sidelined by injuries started last season in four games. After McFadden came back from a forearm that was broken, Gay even had plenty time playing and he did well enough.

LeBeau said, "B-Mac started (at the end of last season), but William played almost an equal number of snaps, so in my mind that question's already been answered. I think we've got a good, quality player there who should continue to grow,” After he was asked if Gay was ready to become a starter.

LeBeau is driven by squeezing talent laden Woodley and Harrison to do more and enhancing players like Gay.

In his 51st year of the NFL, as Coach or Player, he's 71 years old, though LeBeau's retirement hasn't been given any close indications.

Dick said he was “dumbfounded” of rumors, which came to light before Super Bowl XLIII, that 2008 might be his last season. LeBeau's son told him about the rumors, so he informed his players that such language didn't surface from him.

LeBeau said he is as passionate of coach as ever before.

“Who would not want to be a part of these guys buy how they played last year?” LeBeau said. “I suppose there will come a time physically when I won't be able to do it, but I don't think that time has come yet. I feel good, and these guys are a joy to coach.

“What would I be doing if I wasn't here? I'd be watching football, going to football games or writing a football book. I'd rather be coaching.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717
Default Re: Dick LeBeau's Mount Everest Expectations

I seriously cant believe he isnt in the HOF.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Sorry,

I couldn't get through the article... Whoever that is, he is a HORRIBLE writer. . . more likely, has a horrible or non-existant proof-reader.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Tooquickrich
Water Boy

Member Number: 1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ward86 View Post
I seriously cant believe he isnt in the HOF.

Well, I think the main reason is you have to retire before you get consideration for the Hall. I think it's 5 years after you retire before you become eligible to be on the ballot.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
sixstringlass
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Sorry,

I couldn't get through the article... Whoever that is, he is a HORRIBLE writer. . . more likely, has a horrible or non-existant proof-reader.
You, too? I was particularly struck by this sentence:

Quote:
NFL experience between the both of them only three years apart in years started is what lead LeBeau to the conclusion that they both still have lots of upside.
I think the writer must've meant that, with only three years of experience between them, that LeBeau thinks Woodley and Harrison still have lots of room to grow.

But, besides that utterly clumsy sentence, there was a lot of passive voice, like this:

Quote:
A Steelers single-season duo sack record was set by Woodley and Harrison.
...which would have read better as, "Woodley and Harrison set a Steelers single-season sack record for a duo in 2008." Or some such. Even the "duo" part could have been deleted; it's self explanatory given the two names mentioned.

Anyway, Grammar Girl shall leave you now. ;)

Last edited by sixstringlass; 03-09-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: darned typo
sixstringlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

There was probably an interesting story in there somewhere, but based on all the mistakes, I'd have to guess the author was high.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
There was probably an interesting story in there somewhere, but based on all the mistakes, I'd have to guess the author was high.
high ppl are creative, im guessing he was drunk
Sharkissle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,828 Posts

Quote:
Sorry,

hater .....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
hater .....

No, just trying to actually read what was written.

BTW, I love the sig.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,828 Posts

Quote:

No, just trying to actually read what was written.

BTW, I love the sig.
is there any theories to the question ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote