Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106
Default Rooney to be ambassador?

Has this been posted?

Quote:
American Football boss Dan Rooney to be next US ambassador
Ali Bracken

Irish-American businessman and owner of the NFL Pittsburgh Steelers football team Dan Rooney is expected to be named as US ambassador to Ireland within weeks.

Rooney (76) will succeed Thomas C Foley, who recently returned home to the US. Rooney is a co-founder of the Ireland Fund charity with Sir Anthony O'Reilly. When asked by US media recently about whether he would be interested in the job, he said: "I have the credentials, there's no doubt about that."

The Rooney family roots are in Newry, Co Down, and he is a frequent visitor to Ireland. He was an early supporter and campaigner for Barack Obama and presented the president with the game ball following the AFC championship game in January.

Democratic Congressman Mike Doyle has said he believes Rooney would be a great choice of US envoy to Ireland. "I can't think of a finer ambassador for the United States to Ireland than Dan Rooney. Between the work they've done with the Ireland Institute and Rooney's involvement with work in peace and reconciliation..." Doyle said.

Rooney, an avid flyer, has been credited with widely contributing to peace and reconciliation in Northern Ireland. He received an honorary Commander of the British Empire by the Queen for his role in the Northern peace process. He also created the Rooney Prize for Irish Literature in 1976, an annual award for Irish writers under 40 years old.

A spokeswoman for the department of foreign affairs said it had not been informed who would be taking over as US ambassador to Ireland. President Barack Obama will appoint the chosen candidate. "It's a matter for the US administration to make the announcement. We look forward to working with the new ambassador."

Rooney is the son of Pittsburgh Steelers founder and former owner Art Rooney. The team recently won the Superbowl. He was appointed team president in 1975 and was given a great deal of power by his father. During his tenure, he has implemented a philosophy and management style that emphasises open, practical and efficient management. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2000 for his success as an owner.

He is also credited for coming up with the "Rooney Rule," which requires NFL teams with head coaching and general manager vacancies to interview at least one minority candidate.

February 22, 2009
http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2...be-next-us-am/
Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Rooney to be ambassador?

I'd heard buzzing about this being a possibility a month or two ago, but I didn't know it had gone that far.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

He's been at the top of the list since Obama's election. Traditionally, they name the position on St. Patrick's Day.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Thats very nice and a hell of an accompiishment, but does that mean hes going to be into politics and getting away from the Steelers FO moves?

Steelers> Politics :-D

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Ireland is so lucky.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

I am sorry but if this is really true it explains his endorsement of Oboma and his expressing of gratitude to Oboma when he accepted the Super Bowl trophy on February. Wow this is very disturbing to me.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
Thats very nice and a hell of an accompiishment, but does that mean hes going to be into politics and getting away from the Steelers FO moves?

Steelers> Politics :-D
I think Art II is doing most of that work now.

This would be great for the Steelers. Hopefully we'll pick up more fans in Ireland.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I think Art II is doing most of that work now.

This would be great for the Steelers. Hopefully we'll pick up more fans in Ireland.
Yeah and maybe theyll have a Steelers AWAY game to be held in Ireland, haha I can imagine how many people will travel there, I bet the Brittish Steeler fans will make the trip haha.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
iceman000123
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13147

Quote:
Yeah and maybe theyll have a Steelers AWAY game to be held in Ireland, haha I can imagine how many people will travel there, I bet the Brittish Steeler fans will make the trip haha.
Steelers fans
today Ireland
Tomorrow the WORLD
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Hehe...true. If the salary cap goes away we 're going to need to build up an international fan base to compete with Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder. We need to get Ireland and South Korea on board as soon as possible.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote