Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Obama did THIS right!

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama says human cloning is "dangerous, profoundly wrong" and has no place in society. Obama made the comments as he was signing an executive order that will allow federal spending on embryonic stem cell research.
Some critics say the research can lead to human cloning. Obama said the government will develop strict guidelines for the research because misuse or abuse is unacceptable.

He said he would ensure that the government never opens the door to the use of cloning for human reproduction.

Thank You Mr. President. Of course, embryonic stem cell research is reprehensible.

But at least the wall to cloning is left intact.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Obama did THIS right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Thank You Mr. President. Of course, embryonic stem cell research is reprehensible.

But at least the wall to cloning is left intact.
I can't tell whether you're being serious about that part or not, though I suppose it's more than likely given your occupation. I'll just say that if so, I disagree, but on the other hand, anyone but an idiot ought to know cloning people isn't cool.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

so what does this new rule allow? Government Funding for Stem Cell research to grow organs outside of actually growing an entire host body?

Like growing human organs off the backs of lab animals?

Does this law allow for abortion clinics to make a profit by selling aborted fetuses to Labs that work with stem cells?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
so what does this new rule allow? Government Funding for Stem Cell research to grow organs outside of actually growing an entire host body?

Like growing human organs off the backs of lab animals?

Does this law allow for abortion clinics to make a profit by selling aborted fetuses to Labs that work with stem cells?
That's what scares me.

Though I was watching FOX (gasp! ) today and a doctor said they are working on a technique to "reprogram" adult skin cells to work as stem cells .
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I can't tell whether you're being serious about that part or not, though I suppose it's more than likely given your occupation. I'll just say that if so, I disagree, but on the other hand, anyone but an idiot ought to know cloning people isn't cool.
Yes, I am serious. I know that quite a few disagree with me... it stems from the understanding of life that the abortion debate stems from.

But you are absolutely right concerning cloning.

I say, give props where they are due. Since Obama made the right stand, I give him props for it.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
That's what scares me.

Though I was watching FOX (gasp! ) today and a doctor said they are working on a technique to "reprogram" adult skin cells to work as stem cells .
We had a geneticist that addressed us for a weeks lecture series when I was in college. He was an evangelical Christian and a top biologist in the U of Washington.

He told us then about all these things. He was saying how they were taking fleas, and turning on cells to grow eyes on the top of fleas.

Fact of the matter is, 15 years ago, they knew that ANY cell carries within it the biological and genetic material to become ANY PART of the human body. He told us about cancer cells in the stomach that when they were taken out, human fingers were found as teh cells were mutated to create fingers naturally.

So the "embryonic stem cell" debate had always rang hollow to me, when they already have information that embryonic stem cells are NOT necessary.

It is just more of political/cultural agendas and science intermixing.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I wouldn't mind having a clone that I could harvest body parts from, as long as it was brain dead and grown from my own cells.

Then I could just drink and smoke as much as I wanted and just have my clone give up the organs when I needed them. I mean, a Clone doesn't have a spirit right?

(um...being sarcastic in a sick kind of way)
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
That's the part a lot of people get hung up on, but stem cell research really has nothing to do with abortions. They get stem cells from in-vitro fertilization clinics.

If you don't know how that works, when a woman goes for fertility treatment, what they'll do is fertilize, say, 30 of her eggs at once and implant a few of them at a time until one "takes" and turns into an actual baby. Once that happens, there's no use for the rest of the eggs, so you can either use them for research or just throw them out. If you're talking about a waste of human life, i can't think of a bigger waste than that -- at least if they use them for research, they can potentially do some good for someone else.

I don't think they could even use cells from aborted fetuses for this. Because they want cells that are, you know ... alive. Not dead.

But unless you want every woman who goes to the fertility clinic to turn into the Octomom, there are going to continue to be tens of thousands of embryos a year that are just thrown away if they don't use them for this.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Agreed Obama has made the right call here. Kudos. BUT, even though I am for stem cell research I think there are more pressing issues that should have taken precedence BEFORE this issue. I don't know maybe fix this clusterfuct economy crisis!

As for the people who are against stem cells........... well I am not going to get into an arguement with them because they will most likely allow religion to cloud thier higher reasoning.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
Agreed Obama has made the right call here. Kudos. BUT, even though I am for stem cell research I think there are more pressing issues that should have taken precedence BEFORE this issue. I don't know maybe fix this clusterfuct economy crisis!

As for the people who are against stem cells........... well I am not going to get into an arguement with them because they will most likely allow religion to cloud thier higher reasoning.

Well I for one, am against stem cell research specifically because of my reasoning and cognitive functions.

It is about remaining consistent across the board. It is tantamount to the same reason I don't beleive in "hate crimes." The hate crimes laws are inconsistent with the rest of the laws of the country.