Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Obama did THIS right!

I'm definitely in support of this decision by President Obama. Now, lets make some more good decisions, eh?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #12
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
Agreed Obama has made the right call here. Kudos. BUT, even though I am for stem cell research I think there are more pressing issues that should have taken precedence BEFORE this issue. I don't know maybe fix this clusterfuct economy crisis!

As for the people who are against stem cells........... well I am not going to get into an arguement with them because they will most likely allow religion to cloud thier higher reasoning.
I hope that you're not waiting for Obama to fix the economy. That's (at least) 4 years...unless we are pulled under far sooner.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
That's the part a lot of people get hung up on, but stem cell research really has nothing to do with abortions. They get stem cells from in-vitro fertilization clinics.

If you don't know how that works, when a woman goes for fertility treatment, what they'll do is fertilize, say, 30 of her eggs at once and implant a few of them at a time until one "takes" and turns into an actual baby. Once that happens, there's no use for the rest of the eggs, so you can either use them for research or just throw them out. If you're talking about a waste of human life, i can't think of a bigger waste than that -- at least if they use them for research, they can potentially do some good for someone else.

I don't think they could even use cells from aborted fetuses for this. Because they want cells that are, you know ... alive. Not dead.

But unless you want every woman who goes to the fertility clinic to turn into the Octomom, there are going to continue to be tens of thousands of embryos a year that are just thrown away if they don't use them for this.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Stem cell research can help many disabilities..... I think its a great thing that we should look into and research
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Stem cell research can help many disabilities..... I think its a great thing that we should look into and research
I have no problem with stem cell research on the whole. My problem with it is harvesting stem cells from embryos.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,246 Times in 1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I wouldn't mind having a clone that I could harvest body parts from, as long as it was brain dead and grown from my own cells.
safe bet ...... (j/k)

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #17
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

The more I've been reading, the more I'm discovering that Obama screwed up the embryonic stem cell reversal. Not for any religious reasons, but simply because it's not bearing any fruit.

The private funding has all been funneled towards the adult stem cell research because that's the area that has shown the most promise, so, effectively, Obama is now asking the public to fund research that just doesn't show much future upside. This is not much different than the government giving grants ONLY to scientists that find human impact to be the major cause of climate change.

Bottom line, the government shouldn't be funding things that show no promise...

Last edited by revefsreleets; 03-10-2009 at 11:12 AM.
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Well, since we're now paying for the research, I'm sure we'll get a reasonable price on any resulting treatments, right?
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #19
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The more I've been reading, the more I'm discovering that Obama screwed up the embryonic stem cell reversal. Not for any religious reasons, but simply because it's not bearing any fruit.

The private funding has all been funneled towards the adult stem cell research because that's the area that has shown the most promise, so, effectively, Obama is now asking the public to fund research that just doesn't show much future upside. This is not much different than the government giving grants ONLY to scientists that find human impact to be the major cause of climate change.

Bottom line, the government shouldn't be funding things that show no promise...
Now you have to ask "why" this move has been made.

They answer? IMO, it is a hedge for the pro-choice crowd. Even though abortion itself doesn't really enter in to the debate, the ramifications do. By allowing fertilized eggs to be used in stem cell work, the government has (again) established that life doesn't begin at conception. Thus, abortion, at least at somepoint within the first trimester, is ok.

In order to overturn abortion, now stem-cell research also falls into the picture.

In the end, it is nothing more than a way to interweave and thus, solidify voting blocs.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #20
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

Private funding was doing fine, why should my taxes fund something that i may find morally wrong