Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,477 Posts
Default Re: The Official Alphonso Smith Bandwagon Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsteeler View Post
Gonzo, Everyone you mentioned was practically a top-10 selection. I said at number 32 there will likely be no difference maker on the O-line. Which is why I advocate a different positional player.
As for your pimping Billy-Boy Parcells as the " End All-Be All " of superior knowledge, with his first 3 picks last year. Well Duh!, Jake Long was a no-Brainer. But the other 2, merling & Langford, well Merling is a DE Gonzo, NOT a DT. He's never played DT in his entire life. And he was a border-line BUST considering gow much PT he was given being the first pick in round 2. I mean if Parcells is this Genius, how is it that the Purdue GE, Cliff Avril, who BTW I personally advocated the Steelers selecting last year, well he was selected LATE in round 3 by the Lions. Had Crappy teammates around him, and yet was twice the DE that Merling & Langford are " COMBINED "

And if as you say great teams are built around the Linemen, how is it that we have won 2 SB's the past 4 years without selecting a single Linemen in the first 2 rounds the past 10 years ? We have had statistically the leagues WORST O-Line the past 3 years, and yet we won DESPITE that,,,,not because of that.

Gonzo, at 32, even if the AZ OT is there, or the U-Conn OT, or Duje Robinson, or Unger or even Mack...NONE of those guys are more proven O-linemen then say 5 to 6 others I can easily name that can be had late in the 3rd rounds, or beyond. ? The guys you mentioned above were " Elite Level " talents when coming out. All tops among their draft classes. We wouldn't have gotten Jake Long last year even IF we offered every single pick we owned last year to Miami, along with say James Harrison, and Troy Palomala to the Dolphins. Your Boy would have just laughed in Colbert's face.

I mean considering as YOU said Gonzo, How much Billy loves those Linemen :-)
Sorry for using DT instead of DE to describe Merling. I know that he plays DE in a 3-4. My arguement is that linemen are rarely ever considered "impact players", but are essential to building a team. That is how Parcells and others build and rebuilds teams ........starting up front and he has been successful.

The Steelers have a solid D line, but aging. The O line everybody knows is a weakness and we won the SB despite them. As for SB XL......Smith, Hartings, Faneca, Simmons, Starks, Hampton, Smith, VonOlhoffen.....were solid core of linemen.

William Beatty, Alex Mack, Eric Wood, Duke Robinson are much better than what you will find in round 3 like Louis Vasquez, Ray Feinga, Trevor Cantwell, Jonathon Luigs, Xavier Fulton, Augustus Parrish. You build a house by laying the foundation first........not by trying to install windows. Again, I have no problem with a CB, but think 90% of Steeler fans recognize we have other more pressing needs with Taylor, Townsend and Gay under contract already.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
And if as you say great teams are built around the Linemen, how is it that we have won 2 SB's the past 4 years without selecting a single Linemen in the first 2 rounds the past 10 years ? We have had statistically the leagues WORST O-Line the past 3 years, and yet we won DESPITE that,,,,)
really ? ....lets see...alan faneca...FIRST ROUND...kendal simmons...FIRST ROUND.....casey hampton...FIRST ROUND.....marvel smith....SECOND ROUND.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
calsteeler
Banned

Member Number: 13235

Gonzo: The players you mentioned again are NOT considered any better than many others. I can tell you right now Mack will be a border libe Bust. He is not a great NFL Center. He's a bit too tall, and extremely soft. A more finess player. I like the U-conn Tackle, but he had a horrible senior Bowl week. He had a good combine which vaulted him back up there. As for Vasquez, I followed him several games, and he IS a pile driving Guard. Super strong, and a great attitude. As for drafting a Center, I will guarantee you right now Gonzo that Pittsburgh WILL draft the kid from Penn State AQ Shippley. The Steelers have Interviewed him twice now. He is a pure center who is as strong as any Linemen in the draft, and a tough as nails kid.

Yes I agree that i think our O-line needs to be better. But, besides faneca in 2004, who was a high pick ? Smith was a late 2nd rounder. Kemo & Colon were low picks. And Starkes was a 3rd rounder. And yet we won with those guys. Not because of them for sure, but according to Ben, they're great :-)

I agree we need depth on the D-Line as well. But who ? Tyson Jackson was a non enity in college. Oh he has great measurables, but that doesn't mean anything. Tyson had trouble gaining seperation from Linemen on a 4 man line. It would be worse in a 3-4. I love the Texas kid Miller, a dominate strong man who CAN learn from Hampton, and be a replacement for him in time. I also like the Michigan kid Taylor. He didn't play with other good teammates, so his numbers weren't all that. But, in the post season All-star games, he was very good, and is a fast-riser in this draft. He also is a accomplished wrestler, and he has great foot speed & Balance. Remember Gonzo, the steelers had great success with another player who had a wrestling background, remember him ?

Bottom line Gonzo is that even IF it's not considered a popular opinion here except by me. Unless there is a strange event on draft day where a O-Linemen or D-Linemen falls to us at 32 that no one thought would be there, and IF he is still there, I would take UNc WR Nicks. Although as great as he has been performing these past weeks, I doubt he might fall to 32. But if he does, he would be a great selection cause I seen him alot, and he reminds me of a Michael irvin type of talent.

He totally creamed Definition's Boy Alphonzo Smith last season for 9 catches and 100 + Yds and 2 TD's. And he would have Creamed him again this season IF Wake would have played them, but they didn't. Smith also got abused by the only other high level WR talent in this years draft, and that was Darrius heyward-Bey. Bey and Maryland killed Smith and Wake Forest at the tune off 11 catches for 160 + Yds.

Oh yeah, Smith looked real good against the scrub teams and scrub WR's they he matched up against. But no such teams or players play on Sundays :-)
calsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Gonzo: The players you mentioned again are NOT considered any better than many others. I can tell you right now Mack will be a border libe Bust. He is not a great NFL Center. He's a bit too tall, and extremely soft. A more finess player. I like the U-conn Tackle, but he had a horrible senior Bowl week.
Calli....I agree with you that Tyson Jackson is a workout warrior , but never impressed me. I also think that Vasquez is a solid player despite playing in that spread offense at Tech.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY WRONG ABOUT ALEX MACK !! Did you watch the Sr. Bowl week? Did you read reports?? Have you watched Cal games for the past 2-3 seasons like I have?? Mack is soft and finesse in the same way that Casey Hampton is soft. He was the only guy to handle BJ Raji and blocks like a warrior.

-Mack has by far the quickest and most powerful punch at the Senior Bowl.

-Mack's strength is impressive in the pivot. Both guys play nasty, which every offensive line coach loves. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

-Mack, on the other hand, is the more physical of the two and has the better anchor in pass protection. He and Raji provided some classic battles on the inside Tuesday, with Mack being the only of the North's interior lineman able to at least earn a stalemate on the day against Raji.

-The only guy who was able to handle Raji was Cal center Alex Mack, who was easily the best offensive linemen on the North squad and who was considerably better than Oregon's Max Unger

-Mack was beaten a few times by Raji during the team period, but Raji has not been slowed down much at all this week and Mack returned the favor in one-on-one drills, doing a nice job of dropping his hips and anchoring against 334-pound Raji. Mack also continued to do a great job of sliding and mirroring rushers while displaying the ability to redirect when caught out of position. Mack is the clear-cut leader among centers from both rosters.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=166&f=1419&t=3823121

Yeah, Mack really sounds.............soft.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
calsteeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
really ? ....lets see...alan faneca...FIRST ROUND...kendal simmons...FIRST ROUND.....casey hampton...FIRST ROUND.....marvel smith....SECOND ROUND.

Oh really ? Well lets see...

Faneca...Cut/released
Simmons, hurt during this SB, then Cut
M.Smith, Ah, exactly how much PT did he play in this SB ? Oh and BTW, he was a mid-to late 2nd rounder, not a 1st. Also, I love Hampton, but remind me again what he did this SB ? And how many Pts are D gave up in the 4th quarter. Also, our OTHER TWO D-Linemen, what rounds were they taken in again ?

You should teach professionally in school dude...Cherry-picking 101 :-)

Don't quit your day job.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,307 Times in 475 Posts

Quote:

Faneca...Cut/released
M.Smith, Ah, exactly how much PT did he play in this SB ? Oh and BTW, he was a mid-to late 2nd rounder, not a 1st. Also, I love Hampton, but remind me again what he did this SB ? And how many Pts are D gave up in the 4th quarter. Also, our OTHER TWO D-Linemen, what rounds were they taken in again ?

Don't quit your day job.
This coming from someone who thinks we have a ton of money to play with under the cap but won't because the Rooneys are "cheap," and thinks that the Pats have ALWAYS been major players in FA.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

Faneca...Cut/released

Don't quit your day job.
dude you made the STUPID statement that 0 linemen have been picked in the first 2 rounds the last 10 years.... i busted ya on it now your gonna try the old deflection tactic...

Quote:
And if as you say great teams are built around the Linemen, how is it that we have won 2 SB's the past 4 years without selecting a single Linemen in the first 2 rounds the past 10 years

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #18
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
dude you made the STUPID statement that 0 linemen have been picked in the first 2 rounds the last 10 years.... i busted ya on it now your gonna try the old deflection tactic...
MOP, you are just "cherry picking". Oh, wait..............I referred to Philip Merling as a DT and not a DE, which was thankfully pointed out some perfectionists.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
calsteeler
Banned

When did I ever say the Pats were " MAJOR " players in free agency ? I said as a good team, like ours, they lose some key players, and yet rather than take the absolute bottom of the barrel free agents, they sign " Key " Vet replacements. Players like R.Harrison, or Wes Welker. Moss doesn't count cause one, he was traded, not signed. And he also insisted on ONLY playing for the Pats. Also, C.Dillion was instramental in the pats winning a SB as well. The " Cheap " comment was out of line, I admit that. But still, we should have jumped on improving our Center, like say with Matt Birk who Baltimore signed to replace Brown. And yes, I do think that early on they should have Inquired about OT's like Gross or Carey before offering the Franchise Tag to a player like Starkes, who I guaantee you has little to NO interest to other league GM's. It was a waste of over 8 million dollars, and a wasted opportunity to Improve on a O-line that has given up more sacks on ben the past three seasons than either P.Manning and Tom Brady have had on them their entire careers so far combined! A true fact BTW. This is why i feel ben is the most disrespected QB in the league, and the BEST QB IMHO. Cause IF Ben had the Indy O-line protecting him that Manning had in several of those seasons, or the one Brady had, Ben would be " All World "

But this is a draft discussion, not a free agency one. And bottom line, if and I say IF a player like WR Nicks is still there at 32, and there is no " Clear cut " O or D-Linemen at 32 who would be a dramaticly higher level talent than say we could get at 64 or beyond, then yes, I say take Nicks cause Sweed is still up in the air as to whether or not he will EVER gets his head right, or his hands right. And with Nate gone, and Hines close to dropping talent wise cause of age, and Holmes our ONLY young WR talent. Upping the talent there would be wise to do. And Nicks is the " Real Deal "
Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #20
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

stick to your day job ------------->