Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092
Default Colbert drafts. What do you guys think?

I took a look back at the Colbert drafts, and realized that he has done a really good job.The past couple drafts will def help us for the next few years, especially with the uncertainy of the salary cap. I feel to have a great draft you need 1 stud, 2 total starters and 1 role players, to have a "successful" draft you want 1 starter and 2 role players. I also belive that you always take the best player avaliable, despite position. When you reach for need you get Jamain Stephens instead of Brian Dawkins or Troy Edwards instead of Jevon Kearse.

The jury is still out on 2008 but let's look anyway

1 Rashard Mendenhall Illinois

2 Limas Sweed Texas

3 Bruce Davis UCLA

4 Tony Hills Texas

5 Dennis Dixon Oregon

6 Mike Humpal Iowa

6 Ryan Mundy West Virginia

I know a lot of people wanted us to get OL help, but there simply wasn't any to take... the 2 guys we really had a chance at were Sam Baker and Duane Brown. I saw where Duane Brown was 31st for LT's allowing sacks.. now he may get better but he wasn't the BPA that was Mendenhall and he will break 1000 yds this year. Sweed had his drops, but he got open, and thats the hard part. I hope it doesn't come to it but Bruce Davis may be the heir to Harrison if negotiations go south. Tony Hills was projected as a first round talent but had the injury... He may be our future LT and I have said he may start this year on the right side moving Colon to the inside. Dixon was also a first round talent but once again the injury dropped him, and he may be our back QB very soon. Humpal released and Mundy will probably make the team this year with Smith being let go, probably would have made it last year if not for the ankle sprain. I am calling 3 of the top 4 guys will give big contibutions to the defending champs this year... Draft Grade TBD

1 Lawrence Timmons Florida State

2 LaMarr Woodley Michigan

3 Matt Spaeth Minnesota

4 Daniel Sepulveda Baylor

4 Ryan McBean Oklahoma State

5 Cameron Stephenson Rutgers

5 William Gay Louisville

7 Dallas Baker Florida

Timmons is on a the path to be a superstar and Woodley is already there. Spaeth has had some really nice monets, though his blocking is def questionable. I think we saw how important Sepulveda really was with our struggles this year. McBean and Stephenson, well I don't think I need to say anything. With Mcfadden leaving, Gay becomes a starter and did really well last year, I saw a stat that said that he gave up the fewest yards per passed against in the league, pretty impressive for a second year player and with Washington heading down south Baker is going to get another shot at the roster, the fact that being a 7th rd pick and sticking around the team this long says something about the guy. I know we will never, ever have another '74 draft, but I think this is the best since then, simply because we got 2 studs, 4 toltal starters and 2 more role players... A+++

1 Santonio Holmes Ohio State

3 Anthony Smith Syracuse

3 Willie Reid Florida State

4 Willie Colon Hofstra

4 Orien Harris Miami (FL)

5 Omar Jacobs Bowling Green

5 Charles Davis Purdue

6 Marvin Philip California

7 Cedric Humes Virginia Tech

Holmes had some issues earlier this year but boy did he step up when it counted... our future #1 wr and has immense talent may be stud worthy... Smith and Reid, the talent was there and I'm not as down on smith as some of you guys, but both just couldn't pull it together here. I am calling it here Smith will be a good player for the Pack. Colon, a solid starter just playing the wrong position, kick him in to guard where he belongs and you got an above average offensive linemen, he has heart and is tough. Harris has been bouncing around the league, that is part of the problem, we are pretty deep there and it hard to hold a spot on a veteran team. The rest of the guys... ummm who? C

1 Heath Miller Virginia

2 Bryant McFadden Florida State

3 Trai Essex Northwestern

4 Fred Gibson Georgia

5 Rian Wallace Temple

6 Chris Kemoeatu Utah

7 Shaun Nua Brigham Young

7 Noah Herron Northwestern

Heath Miller is a stud.. bottom line not as heralded as some other TE but def the most complete. Mcfadden was a good player.. hate to see him go but that is part of the buisness.. while he was here he was a good player... a little injury prone but still good. Essex is a nice back up who can play guard or tackle, the type of guy you need in todays NFL.. multiple spots out of one player. Gibson was a disappointment... I remeber being excited about him but he wouldn't go to the PS for us, otherwise who knows. Wallace was a backup for a few years, nothing spectacular, but did his job, last I knew he was playing for Washignton. I like Kemo and think he will only get better.. he is also out of position and needs kicked to RG where he doesn't have to worry about pulling just mauling. Nua, eh.. Herron went to Green Bay for a little while, he did alright but I think the most noteworthy thing he did was knock a robber out with a bedpost in his house. Grade B

1 Ben Roethlisberger Miami (OH)

2 Ricardo Colclough Tusculum

3 Max Starks Florida

5 Nathaniel Adibi Virginia Tech

6 Bo Lacy Arkansas

6 Matt Kranchick Penn State

6 Drew Caylor Stanford

7 Eric Taylor Memphis

Amazing how 1 pick can change the grade of a draft. I won't even get into what Roethlisberger has accomplished, I'll just let it speak for itself. Despite what some peopel think Starks is very serviceable, the reason LT is the second hardest position to fill is because there aren't that many. We got a franchise QB and a starting LT who is middle of the road. Not to mention this is the year we got the reigning DPOY , James Harrison and Willie Parker as UDFA Grade A+++

1 Troy Polamalu USC

2 Alonzo Jackson Florida State

4 Ivan Taylor Louisiana-Lafayette

5 Brian St. Pierre Boston College

7 J.T. Wall Georgia

See for Ben about Troy, same deal... And Ike, while he can't catch a cold he constantly shadows the other teams #1 wr. St Pierre stuck around as a back up for a while, let's just agree never to mention Jackson's name again. This draft is hurt because of it's lack of picks but still a B

1 Kendall Simmons Auburn

2 Antwaan Randle El Indiana

3 Chris Hope Florida State

4 Larry Foote Michigan

5 Verron Haynes Georgia

6 Lee Mays Texas-El Paso

7 LaVar Glover Cincinnati

7 Brett Keisel Brigham Young

This is a draft with no studs but had a lot of contributors and is the type of draft that keeps a franchise competitive. Before the diabetes Simmons was on pace to be a really good linemen, I respect him for hanging on as long as he did, the acl and then the achilles, I appreciate what he did for us and was a proffesional. El was a nice find and our return game has suffered without him, but you can't throw the money that snyder did at him and expect to keep a guy like Hines. Hope was one of my favorites, and I hated to see him go, but with a contract extension coming up for troy they had to chose their man, I think they chose right, even though Hope has had success since he left. Mr. Foote, a solid player who does ntohing spectacular but doesn't make mistakes. We are quick to try and get rid of him, but why? I know Timmons is ready to bust loose, but we run a 3-4, you can never have enough linebackers. Haynes was a great role player... he just couldn't stay healthy. He ran with power, caught the ball well and was good on the blitz pickup pluse he played special team. Mays was one of those players that always did enough to stick around, but nothing more then depth. Who was LaVar Glover? Keisel is one of those picks that make good franchises great... when you get as much out of a 7th round pick as we have from him. I grade this draft as an A+ no studs but from top to bottom you got production.

1 Casey Hampton Texas

2 Kendrell Bell Georgia

4 Mathias Nkwenti Temple

5 Chukky Okabi Purdue

6 Rodney Bailey Ohio State

6 Roger Knight Wisconsin

7 Chris Taylor Texas A&M

Casey's career is winding down, but was a stud. I remeber in his younger days when he chased Eddie George down in a playoff game gave him a concussion and forced a fumble. He can still be a force when he wants to be but Much like Joel Steed, he will disappear overnight. Wow, what happened to Bell.. defensive Rookie of the year, looked like he would be a HOF and then boom... Okabi was a back up that probably ended up leading to the Mahan disaster... looked like we had an heir apparent to hartings, but the it turned out we didn't, if that mnakes sense. Bailey was a nice role player but nothing great. Grade C-... if Bell had stuck around would have been at least a B

1 Plaxico Burress Michigan State

2 Marvel Smith Arizona State

3 Kendrick Clancy Mississippi

3 Hank Poteat Pittsburgh

4 Danny Farmer UCLA

5 Clark Haggans Colorado State

5 Tee Martin Tennessee

6 Chris Combs Duke

6 Jason Gavadza Kent State

This was an alright draft... Plax didn't blossom till late and we realize now he was a big knucklehead, glad we chose Ward over him, could have very easily corrupted Ben. Marvel was a great LT and even started as rookie at RT, great 2nd round pick. Clancey was Chris Hoke before Chris Hoke finally beat him out, played well when we needed him to. Poteat was a nice returner and if I remeber actually played in coverage ok, he is still hanging around the league making contributions. I liked Danny Farmer and if we hadn't drafted Edwards the year before he would have stuck with us... He had a great preseason but there was just no room for him. Haggans was a steady unspectacular player, much like Foote... He came to work and did his job, not bad for a 5th rounder the rest of the guys really had no impact. Grade: B

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,531 Times in 3,969 Posts
Default Re: Colbert drafts. What do you guy's think

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyssteelcurtain View Post

1 Plaxico Burress Michigan State

2 Marvel Smith Arizona State

3 Kendrick Clancy Mississippi

3 Hank Poteat Pittsburgh

4 Danny Farmer UCLA

5 Clark Haggans Colorado State

5 Tee Martin Tennessee

6 Chris Combs Duke

6 Jason Gavadza Kent State

This was an alright draft... Plax didn't blossom till late and we realize now he was a big knucklehead, glad we chose Ward over him, could have very easily corrupted Ben. Marvel was a great LT and even started as rookie at RT, great 2nd round pick. Clancey was Chris Hoke before Chris Hoke finally beat him out, played well when we needed him to. Poteat was a nice returner and if I remeber actually played in coverage ok, he is still hanging around the league making contributions. I liked Danny Farmer and if we hadn't drafted Edwards the year before he would have stuck with us... He had a great preseason but there was just no room for him. Haggans was a steady unspectacular player, much like Foote... He came to work and did his job, not bad for a 5th rounder the rest of the guys really had no impact. Grade: B
the next qb taken after tee was tom brady in round 6. just think, we coulda kept tom off the patriots bench and he coulda been winning championships for the rhein fire.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
joeyssteelcurtain
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11092

Yea that would of been nice

"I'm BLACK and GOLD until I'm dead and cold"
joeyssteelcurtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'd say pretty good. Sure there have been some busts, but what team doesn't have them. Also, I see we have a nice mix of starters still playing that were drafted, and it's really nice to see that we have some late rounders who really panned out.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the next qb taken after tee was tom brady in round 6. just think, we coulda kept tom off the patriots bench and he coulda been winning championships for the rhein fire.
Wierd how fate works for everyone. Hell think of it this way he could have beat Kordell and Kent Graham out as a rookie. Im suprised Tee didnt get closer to the field. It is amazing though when you look at all this drafts the amount of non contributers we have. Cowhers last draft I remember being all excited for Jacobs and Humes. That went rally far huh? Trai Essex was a 3rd rounder and never blossumed but guys like Keisel(7th) and Kemoeatu(6th) did. Wow. thanks for posting this. So I think we can all agree we hit on about 50% of our picks.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

Colbert has made the most of his first round picks. You don't see any busts in the 1st round there. Not one is even close.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

i think the guy has done quite well. I bet if not the best of outcomes in the NFL he is in the top 5.
Also you should add undrafted pickups etc.

Parker and Harrison, both probowlers.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Colbert in my opinion has been really good at making great picks, And he has nailed it almost every year with the one that counts and that is the #1 pick. I think from 2008 we may see 3 players turn out to be be studs.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
Colbert in my opinion has been really good at making great picks, And he has nailed it almost every year with the one that counts and that is the #1 pick. I think from 2008 we may see 3 players turn out to be be studs.
Yup! Mendy, Sweed, Davis. I still have hope for Mundy.

Dont forget about Timmons, Woodley and Gay in 07
Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

Timmons, Woodley, and Gay could be his best draft of the last 10 years. Timmons should continue to grow into a stud and Woodley is already an absolute beast. Gay will have his chance at starting and may become our #1 in 2-3 years.

Not to mention Sepulveda and Spaeth. He very well could have 2 pro bowlers (Timmons, Woodley), a #1 CB (Gay), an above average punter (Sepulveda), and a #2 TE (Spaeth).

Can't get much better than that.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote