Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832
Default Andre Smith not Showing any progress

Did anyone get a hold of his pro day? Weighing 325 with no definition, 5.38 on the 40, 25 inch vertical which I can do better than him and im nowhere as athletic as he is, and the most pathetic is 19 reps on the bench press. Somehow his tapes and playing styles has him as a high draft pick, but for me hes not even worth a first round unless someone shapes his mind right because thats showing no work ethic. I say the Raiders draft him and Cable tries,,,,,,,and tries to see if he can shape back up.

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Andre Smith not Showing any progress

Look at them titties - almost.... perky.

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

smith is not auditioning for mr. universe. the kid can play and i would love to see him fall to the steelers.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,572 Posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=3971535

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Andre Smith set about trying to repair his reputation the same place he worked to build it: on Alabama's practice field.
First Draft: Andre Smith

NFL.com Video

Andre Smith talks about his desire and drive to play at the NFL level.
Smith worked out for representatives of every NFL team at the Crimson Tide's pro day on Wednesday, doing the drills he had earlier skipped with an unannounced departure from the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

"I was like, 'Wow, there's a lot of teams represented here,'" the Outland Trophy winner said.

And they all had similar questions for Smith in post-workout interviews. Namely, why did he bolt the combine on the day offensive linemen were supposed to participate in drills, a decision that has drawn criticism and raised speculation about the resulting damage to the draft stock of a player once projected as a possible No. 1 overall pick.

"I just made a bad decision in leaving the combine," Smith said. "If I had it to do all over again, I would handle it differently. I just made a bad decision in leaving, but I think I made a great football decision to get back and start working out with my trainer."

Smith, who is skipping his senior season, was also suspended from the Sugar Bowl for violating unspecified team rules. The NFL job hunt didn't start much better than his college career ended for a player who started at left tackle from the opener of his freshman season.

Smith has noticeably slimmed down, weighing in at 6-foot-4, 325 pounds, which he called his lightest weight in three years.

He sprinted shirtless through a gauntlet of stopwatch-bearing NFL officials and was clocked in drills along with several former Tide teammates. Smith was clocked at 5.28 and 5.33 in the 40, managed a 25-inch vertical leap and bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times, according to NFL.com. Smith declined to give his numbers.

"So many unknown questions because he didn't do things at the combine," said Pat Flaherty, offensive line coach for the New York Giants. "That's why we're here today, because we didn't get to see him at the combine.

"All he can do and control right now is go forward. I met with him today and that's what I told him. I said he has to be ready for each and every club that wants to work him out, to take it seriously. It's a job interview. He has to do the best he can."

Smith admitted he was nervous about the scrutiny Wednesday. He repeatedly said he has leaned on his faith to weather the recent criticism.

"It was difficult at the beginning, but I also have to realize I have a God who's favored me throughout my career, so I just lean on God," he said. "No one can take away what God has for me. That's how I think about everything."

Smith has been working out in Atlanta, pulling two-hour conditioning sessions with Olympic gold medalist Chryste Gaines three days a week and working on footwork and position skills with former NFL tackle Tony Jones.

He's also trying to fix a reputation that has taken a hit for abruptly leaving the combine.

"I'll take a lot of the blame for it," said Alvin Keels, Smith's agent. "I'm the one who does this year in and year out and this is his first time."

Keels said the criticism caught Smith off guard.

"Any time the reaction is that harsh, athletes are somewhat surprised," he said. "Oftentimes, when you're a star athlete, there's just so much good that's written about you.

"They build you up. And when you make a mistake, they don't realize how much a mistake is blown up as well. It was a learning experience, if nothing more. He's definitely learned from it and is ready to move forward and make sure stuff like that doesn't happen again."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,055 Posts

Pro day........schmo day.

Smith can play, there is no question about that. The only question is if he will work hard at the next level or is he lazy??
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Pro day........schmo day.

Smith can play, there is no question about that. The only question is if he will work hard at the next level or is he lazy??
i'd venture to say, he hasn't been spending his last few months off in the weight room or on the track....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i'd venture to say, he hasn't been spending his last few months off in the weight room or on the track....
And that is what might drop him to #18 and the Bears or even farther. I still think he is a 1st round pick though, but it all depends on his interviews.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

here's matt McGuire's take on him......
http://walterfootball.com/mattblog.php

Quote:
Posted March 12, 2009

Andre Smith is Bust-a-Licious

The NFL Draft is now a media-dominated event. ESPN and the NFL Network as well as radio aren't missing out because the market is there for NFL Draft coverage. Everyone wants to know where their favorite collegiate players and NFL teams stand in late April.

One thing I cannot get over though is how no one looks for the future busts this time of year.

After all, when you call a prospect a bust, you are certainly putting yourself out there. If you say Player X will bust and he doesn't, you don't look very smart.

However, I see it differently. If you say no one is going to bust, then you are not taking any sort of risk. Players WILL bust - it happens in every NFL Draft. The best of the best can call them.

Sometimes I (and everyone else) will be wrong, and sometimes I will be right.

In recent events for Andre Smith, if he is a first-round pick I think he will never live up to expectations.

Some of my draftnik friends still say there is a buzz that he is not going to fall out of the top 15 picks.

What are these teams thinking?

Smith has shown absolutely no willingness to put forth the effort to do what it takes to make it in the NFL. He did not care about the biggest interview of his life at the NFL Scouting Combine, and apparently he did not even inform his agent that he was leaving.

If this is not a sign of complete immaturity and irresponsibility, then I have no idea what is.

Now, I am not saying Smith will be completely out of the league in three seasons; I certainly think you can be an NFL player for 10 years, but still be a colossal bust.

I define a bust as not even coming close to living up to the expectations. If you were a top-20 pick, but put forth below-average production as a starter, then you are a bust. You do not have to be Ryan Leaf or Mike Williams to bust.

I do not believe Smith will be a productive player in the NFL. He has absolutely no work ethic, he is immature, and he is irresponsible.

No one should give him any credit for working out now, attending his Pro Day, or saying the right things. This is expected and is just damage control.

The damage has already been done. I feel like if you aren't going to work out for the biggest interview of your life, then you will not work out in the offseason when a team gives you a multi-million dollar contract.

Smith has had weight fluctuations in the past, and I am not sold that he has this elite athleticism people hype him up to have.

One NFL Draft analyst on television says he is this great talent, but will then turn around and say he is a questionable left tackle.

I really feel like the consensus is Andre Smith has elite talent only because Alabama had a great season. Smith got the media hype Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe did not, and that has stayed in people's minds.

When I put on the Kentucky, Tennessee, and LSU tape, I am not overly impressed. Smith has average feet and flexibility.

He was under Nick Saban's thumb at Alabama, and Saban does a great job of minimizing negative press.

I am simply not buying it that Smith will be a reliable player in the NFL. I see him gaining a ton of weight, not hitting the weight room, and being very lazy not doing the little things it takes to be great. He is in it for the money and not because he wants to be one of the best.

Maybe I am being a little hard on Smith, but quite frankly it seems like I am the only one criticizing him.

I do not want any part of Smith on my football team, and when it is all said and done, he will not even crack the top 50 of my big board because of his pathetic, immature attitude.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

What does he say about Tyson Jackson? That is my bust of the year pick. I must have watched 6 LSU games this year and he never impressed me in 1 of them.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What does he say about Tyson Jackson? That is my bust of the year pick. I must have watched 6 LSU games this year and he never impressed me in 1 of them.
i'm not gettin the jackson hype myself. the draft geeks are still giving him credit for the season he had 2 years ago, which should be credited to playing beside dorsey. he may not be a total bust, but i don't see him being an impact player, and certainly not worthy of a 1st rd pick.