Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The Steelers In Essence Have Two 1st Round Picks in 2009

The Steelers In Essence Have Two 1st Round Picks in 2009
by Blitzburgh on Mar 12, 2009 6:29 AM EDT Comment
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-in-essence-ha

By that, I mean the Steelers will be welcoming back 2008 1st Round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall back to the fold after a rookie season that was cut off far too early due to a broken bone in his shoulder compliments of Ray Lewis. Since then, the Steelers managed to sport just the 23rd best rushing attack in the league. Willie Parker has battled nagging injurys to varying degrees of success. And of course, the offensive line remained much maligned for their inability to consistently open up running lanes for whomever was toting the ball in the Steelers backfield.

NewAll that has contributed to many fans feeling the Steelers need to look to the 2009 NFL Draft for additional insurance and depth for the running game. With Willie Parker set to be a free agent after the 2009 season, many feel it would be prudent to take a RB in Rounds 4-6 to have as insurance in 2009 and to split carries with Mendenhall in 2010 and beyond. That's all fine and well, but there does seem to be a distinct lack of confidence in Rashard Mendenhall's ability to be a big time feature back capable of staying on the field for an entire season.

I can't possibly sit here and write that I'm 100% confident that Mendenhall has what it takes to be a stud RB in this league, but as we've said around here many times before, more often than not, the Steelers front brass earns their keep when it comes to identifying talent in the Draft, particularly with their early round picks. It's also important to note though that the injury sustained by Rashard was not to a knee, there were no ligaments involved, he didn't break a bone in his leg, etc.

He will have to shake the demons of being TKO'ed by Ray Lewis and continue to go out there and run with reckless abandon, but if he's a football player in even the slightest - which I think he is - than that shouldn't be a problem. Just remember, when we got Mendenhall about this time last year, we were all extremely excited about his big play ability, his willingness and capability fighting for tough yards in between the tackles, the versatility he provides with his competency catching the football out of the backfield, and the depth that it would give us in the event that Fast Willie Parker got dinged up over the course of a long 16 game season.

We'll see, and I'm eager to hear about the kind of summer he has working out, getting ready to go out in 2009 and prove the Steelers made a wise choice drafting him with the 23rd overall pick of the 2008 NFL Draft.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Iron Gut
Water Boy

Member Number: 10342
Default Re: The Steelers In Essence Have Two 1st Round Picks in 2009

So by his idiotic rationale, we got screwed out of a 1st round pick in 2008?
Iron Gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

No, I think the guy is just saying that the Steelers would be smart to get a RB later in the upcoming draft for insurance for a guy that might become a free agent after next season is all. And I wouldnt mind the Steelers gettting a RB late in this upcoming draft myself and it sounds like they might be interested in one already. I think alot of people are questioning Rashard wayyyyyy toooooo early. The guy got hurt and Willie is a nice back for the Steelers to have around just for the fact that he played most of the '08 season injured and it cut him back in the stats department. I think Willie will be fine in '09 if he doesnt get injured and that Can Happen To Anyone.
Remember... everyone was questioning LB Lawrence Timmons as well and I think he is a star ready to happen in the NFL given the full chance to be a full-time starter.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

He makes it sound like it was because we didnt' have Mendenhall that we had a terrible rush offense, it wouldn't have made that much a difference, our o-line was bad
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

We would waste any pick of the draft with drafting another RB. We have Parker, Mendenhall, Russell, and Moore. Drafting another would be completely foolish. We OBVIOUSLY have depth with how Moore and Russell played down the stretch.

Who in the world would he replace? Parker? Mendenhall? Russell? Moore? Makes no sense.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
steelerfan821
Water Boy

Member Number: 11743

i can see the steelers drafting late maybe between the 5th and the 7th rounds for a running back. but it would not be foolish but you never know when you find a diamond in the rough.

parker will def have a good season as long as he is healthy. he will come in as the starter.

mendy will share time will parker as the season goes on. I have a good feeling about him and I think he will have a good preseason and will be ready to take over some of those tough yardage situations.

moore is a great all around back and is great on 3rd down. he will see limited action I think but enough to see some decent stats.

Russel i believe is expendable... he is a decent back and he plays hard. he contributes on special teams decently. hes not a total speedsteer and lacks big play ability. His goaline play was mediocre and he will not see much action this year.

These guys are all under contract still and why waste the money. Even with a late round rb it would come cheap but only if he would significantly help the team.

We also picked up stefan logan who will compete for special teams such as returns. This guy may make the roster if he does russel will be downgraded to the practice squad.

I just dont want to see another noah herror or cedric humes. both were wasted picks that could of been used on other players that would maybe help in the coming years as developmental players.

Lets go Steelers and hope we have a good draft!
steelerfan821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

Sorry, I just can't see how you throw away a pick on someone with a less than 5% chance of making the roster when you could be looking for a diamond in the rough at CB, S, OL, or DL
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
steelerfan821
Water Boy

Member Number: 11743

i agree tyler id rather see that also.
steelerfan821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

I don't believe we will be drafting a RB this year, though I could be wrong. I would expect Rashard to get plenty of carries this year (hopefully) and any draft pick we would make at RB would be in the 2010 draft to replace Willie if he decides to leave as a free agent. Rookies can step in at halfback and play right away as long as they have the overall skillset, mostly in regards to pass blocking. I believe this years draft will be all about depth, but I would be surprised if RB is one of the positions.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Gut View Post
So by his idiotic rationale, we got screwed out of a 1st round pick in 2008?

Thanks. You just summed up why I dont need to read the article. The title and your cliff notes were all I needed.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote