Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The future of the Steelers

The future of the Steelers
By PAUL EDGAR, pedgar@reviewonline.com
POSTED: March 15, 2009
http://www.reviewonline.com/page/con....html?nav=5012

It's never too early to start talking about football.

And in all actuality, the start of the NFL season begins April 25 when the league holds its amateur draft in New York.

The defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers are recognized as being one of the best drafting teams in the NFL, and for good reason.

Year in and year out, the Steelers let free agents walk away if they demand more money than they're worth, and rarely does the team overspend on players from other teams on the open market.

That is a luxury an organization has if it has the personnel to select quality young talent in the draft.

With that being said, here's a look at some possible selections you might hear come out of Commissioner Goodell's mouth after saying, "With the 32nd pick of the 2009 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select..."

Alex Mack, C, California

Mack (6-foot3, 316 pounds) is hands down the best center available in the draft, if not the best overall lineman. If Mack is available to the Steelers, there's little doubt they'll scoop him up. Unfortunately, most draft boards have Mack going anywhere from pick 20-28. He has a lengthy list of awards during his career with the Bears. Mack will be the first center ever to be drafted in the first round. California had one of the top rushing attacks in all of college football and Mack was the quarterback of the line. Most experts say Mack could start immediately and is said to have an extremely high football IQ (and overall IQ as he won what's known as the "Academic Heisman").

Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest

Smith (5-9, 190) has been nicknamed "Prime" because he possesses all the athletic ability and swagger of a young Deion Sanders. Smith was selected to the AP All-American first team last year, a season in which he tied the ACC career interception record with 20 picks. Many believe Smith should be rated higher than some of the more lauded defensive backs such as Malcolm Jenkins, D.J. Moore and Vontae Davis. His size is somewhat of a concern, but he more than makes up for it with his amazing foot speed (4.56 in 40-yard dash). Smith is the type of corner who revels in being on an island and shutting down his opponent. Smith could jump right into the Steelers' Nickel package and contribute.

William Beatty, OT, Connecticut

Beatty (6-6, 307) has terrific size and excellent athleticism for an offensive tackle. His ability to move will play well on the next level. Beatty is a lineman who can handle the speed of the better defensive ends coming off the edge. He helped block for the nation's leading rusher last season as well, although pass blocking is his strong suit. The thing I like about Beatty is he still has room to improve. He can still get stronger and add some more muscle to his already large frame.

Sean Smith, CB, Utah

Smith has it all. The size (6-4, 215), the speed (4.53 40-yard dash), the athleticism. A converted wide receiver, Smith would make a great free safety covering the deep routes. Last season he recorded 45 tackles, nine pass deflections and five interceptions. Smith reads the quarterback well and is able to close quickly with his speed. It might be somewhat of a stretch for the Steelers to select him in the first round, but if they do, they could be getting a compliment to Troy Polamalu that would make opposing wideouts cringe.

(Paul Edgar is a sports writer at The Review. He can be reached at pedgar@reviewonline.com)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485
Default Re: The future of the Steelers

A 6-4 CB.....WOW!!!! I have always wondered why there are all theses cb's under 6', when wr's are getting taller. This could be cool with me, but I also like a 6-6 OT who is strong at pass blocking!
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart82 View Post
A 6-4 CB.....WOW!!!! I have always wondered why there are all theses cb's under 6', when wr's are getting taller. This could be cool with me, but I also like a 6-6 OT who is strong at pass blocking!
Backpedaling comes more naturally to smaller guys. Running fast while going forward isn't too difficult if you have the natural talent, but playing corner requires at least equal athleticism to playing wide out and more discipline. That's why there aren't many cover DB's over 6'0 - 6'2.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

If Mack isn't there and Beatty is...I'd for sure take Beatty over A.Smith and S.Smith.

Am I the only one who really likes Beatty? I think he could start at RT, bumping Colon inside to guard.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

IDK,

I don't see us going FS in the first round, even if it is a BPA choice. I think we trade down into the top of the 2nd round and maybe get a top third for our bottom third, and pick up a second tier lineman and a FS that way, or a O and D lineman in the second round and a FS in the 3rd.

Or maybe, since we seem to have two picks back to back in the 3rd, we package a1 and 3, for a lower-mid first and assure ourselves of Mack. I would LOVE that.

Then, we are back to moving Hartwig to either left or right guard, depending who he can beat out (or if he can. . . might as well not assume).

Heck, that still leaves us with a second round pick and a 3 round pick just a couple spots down from where we would be normally picking anyway.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

I really hope we don't go CB in the first round unless someone like Vontae Davis is there--I'm not enamored with any of the other guys and it seems difficult to imagine a scenario in which ALL of the good O-linemen get snapped up by #32.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,655 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

If we don't get Mack then I hope we pick up Alphonso Smith. I have read alot on this guy and heard alot about him.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Mack needs to be a Steeler.

That is all.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Alex Mack, C, California

Mack (6-foot3, 316 pounds) is hands down the best center available in the draft, if not the best overall lineman. If Mack is available to the Steelers, there's little doubt they'll scoop him up. Unfortunately, most draft boards have Mack going anywhere from pick 20-28. He has a lengthy list of awards during his career with the Bears. Mack will be the first center ever to be drafted in the first round. California had one of the top rushing attacks in all of college football and Mack was the quarterback of the line. Most experts say Mack could start immediately and is said to have an extremely high football IQ (and overall IQ as he won what's known as the "Academic Heisman").
Really? Was Nick Mangold a QB? Could have sworn he was a center. Or did he mean first ever center drafted in the 1st round by the Steelers?

I am really hoping for Mack but have serious doubts if he will still be there. I would be thrilled with any of the four guys on this list, though. In order I'd say Mack, Beatty, Sean Smith, Alphonso Smith.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
If we don't get Mack then I hope we pick up Alphonso Smith. I have read alot on this guy and heard alot about him.
I agree my first choice is Mack my second pick if Mack is gone is Smith