Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Colbert says signing one of team's own is a big free agent signing

Steeler report: Colbert says signing one of own, is a big free agent signing for Steelers
March 15, 2:00 AM · Add a Comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...g-for-Steelers

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers are now 0-2 when it comes for signing the free agents they have brought to town in hopes of replacing the two that left.

Chris Carr accepted a two year $5 million deal with the Ravens, while Joey Galloway has signed a one-year deal with the Patriots.

Should that be a concern? The answer is no and here is why. When asked recently about the type of player the Steelers are looking for, Director of football operations Kevin Colbert had this to say.

"You have to feel that a certain player will be a good fit," Colbert said recently. "If you’re bringing in a player from the outside in either free agency or the draft, you have to feel that they can fit into your current group of players. You know the personality of your team and you’re looking for a personality that may be able to add to that."

By not offering either a deal prior to them leaving means Colbert and co. saw something that needed some thought. Maybe it was the personality, maybe it was the fact they were not a good fit.

So unlike the New England Patriots, or tossing dollars around like a stimulus package such as Dan Snyder has done in Washington, the Steelers have continued to do what has made them successful since the days of Chuck Noll. There is no pushing of the panic button, instead it's taking care of their own first, then finding someone to plug a hole.

If a player such as Carr or Galloway want to sign elsewhere for money, then the Steelers made the right decision. While money is a big part of the game today, the Steelers would rather use it on their home groomed guys instead of a player from another system.

Thus far that is exactly what the Steelers have done. They made Max Starks their franchise player for $8.5 million for one year, signed restricted right tackle Willie Colon to a $2.2 million tender., and also signed Chris Kemoeatu to a five-year, $20 million contract with a bonus of nearly $4 million.

"For us, when we sign back one of our players, that is a big free agent signing," Colbert said. " We like to reinvest in our own. For the most part, if you sign your own, you don’t have a lot of salary cap left to work with so then you have to do a good job and maybe get a Keyaron Fox who comes in and does his role on special teams. You kind of know what you’re looking for and then just try to find that right guy to fit.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456
Default Re: Colbert says signing one of own, is a big free agent signing

Typical Steelers. Colbert does a good job of making signing thier own guys sound like a good thing. Speaking of signing their own what's the status of contract negotiations with Silverback?
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,203 Times in 442 Posts
Default Re: Colbert says signing one of own, is a big free agent signing

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
Typical Steelers. Colbert does a good job of making signing thier own guys sound like a good thing.
It's not?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Colbert says signing one of team's own is a big free agent signing

nice article.....

i agree something must of not been right if they left without a offer on the table.. but oh well.. i bet we could find another MEMO out there in the FA pool

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
calsteeler
Banned

Member Number: 13235

Colbert said he would rather spend the money on his own HOME GROWN players huh ?....you mean like Chad Brown,,,Jason Gilding,,,Joey Porter,,,Nate Washington,,,Mcfadden ?

Can somebody define the word Hypocrite to me ? Cause I already know the definition of the word cheapscape!
calsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsteeler View Post
Colbert said he would rather spend the money on his own HOME GROWN players huh ?....you mean like Chad Brown,,,Jason Gilding,,,Joey Porter,,,Nate Washington,,,Mcfadden ?

Can somebody define the word Hypocrite to me ? Cause I already know the definition of the word cheapscape!
werd

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:

um we are not under the cap by much and you are calling them cheap? ok chad jason what the hell did thye do after he left? ? would you rather have porter over silverback? Everyone threw fits about washingtons drops id bet you where one of them. Bmac couldnyt beat out a old man at CB until last year & then was hurt! So we found out that Gay is a hell of a CB IMHO.So if you want to be part of a team that throws tons of money away on FA why not become a redskins fan?

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Quote:

...or Brian St. Pierre.... Clark Haggans... Ricardo Colcough... Randle El.... Kendrell Bell... and JOHN KUHN!?!?!

Why did we let them all go? I DON'T UNDERSTAND! I DON'T LIKE CHANGE!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
calsteeler
Banned

Member Number: 13235

Your argument on is Porter better than Harrison is stupid. All it proves is that it's more the SYSTEM than it is the player. BTW, one could easily argue that Porter could have been the DPOY this past season, and they would have a case too. As for Cgad Brown, I remember him going to at least 3 Pro Bowls, and had something like 50 + sacks for Seattle. And the bottom line to my point is that when we don't sign a decent free agent, Colbert and the steeler front office spin is that,," We prefer to resign our own HOME GROWN " players ????

What BS is that ? Ah, our defensive Captain,,Farrior,,was he Home grown ? I saw Howie Long at the end of the season when he and Fox were giving out their awards for the season, and when it came to the most intiminating, Hard-hitting S award,,,Ryan Clark got it,,,Ah, exactly what round did we select him in ? As for the recent past, what about Kimo Von Oelhoffen, maybe the BIGGEST reason why we even got to the 04 Super Bowl, was he Home Grown ? What about DB's Mike LOgan, and Dewayne Washington, both of whom were HUGE for us for 6 + years, were they Home Grown ? And as for the Importance of resigning our own " Home Grown " players, i fully understand you can't sign em all.
But what about the ones who are considered the very definition of your team, ones like Rod Woodson. Can you NAME a bigger influence on our defense ? And he was let go at what ?...31 years old ? And went on to play in several more Pro Bowls, win a Super bowl, and grab another 30 Picks. So don't spit up in the air on my head and call it a sweet, gentle Pittsburgh rain :-)

When Max " Do nothing " starkes is given the one year tenure at 6 million last year, and then is given the one year " Franchise tag " that will make him MORE money than Ben Roethlisberger will amke this season, and Starkes has never even made an Honorable mention to a Pro Bowl,,,Ah, i wouldn't call that very sound management by Colbert! And please, don't show your Ignorance by going to the " Oh, we won two of the last 4 Super Bowl cards "
Cause that's a load of Crap! We won those games DESPITE of them,,not BECAUSE of them!

Bottom line is, we have two very REAL needs on this team that IS Super Bowl ready with alot of Vets in the way of a 3rd WR, and a DB. Cause our one starter is a little 33 year old DB who has broken down before in the past. And our ONLY two WR's are one who is nothing more than a " Practice field " Dummy. And a 2nd round selection last year who had easily 10 + drops when wide, wide, wide open!

And if we don't Improve on that, and defenses know they don't have to cover anyone with extra DB's, and can just key off on ben, ben WILL be crushed eventually, and Ben WILL suffer a season ending, if not Career ending Injury! Cause if you're looking for this current O-Line group to do the job both in pass protection, and run pushing,,well Hell! I could sub both " Angelina Jollie, and Uma Thurman on the O-line,,,and THEY could get a better push on the opposing D-Line than our current scrubs!!

But hey, it's okay, cayse we don't sign free agents right ? " ROTFLMMFAO "
calsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
Your argument on is Porter better than Harrison is stupid. All it proves is that it's more the SYSTEM than it is the player. BTW, one could easily argue that Porter could have been the DPOY this past season, and they would have a case too. As for Cgad Brown, I remember him going to at least 3 Pro Bowls, and had something like 50 + sacks for Seattle. And the bottom line to my point is that when we don't sign a decent free agent, Colbert and the steeler front office spin is that,," We prefer to resign our own HOME GROWN " players ????

What BS is that ? Ah, our defensive Captain,,Farrior,,was he Home grown ? I saw Howie Long at the end of the season when he and Fox were giving out their awards for the season, and when it came to the most intiminating, Hard-hitting S award,,,Ryan Clark got it,,,Ah, exactly what round did we select him in ? As for the recent past, what about Kimo Von Oelhoffen, maybe the BIGGEST reason why we even got to the 04 Super Bowl, was he Home Grown ? What about DB's Mike LOgan, and Dewayne Washington, both of whom were HUGE for us for 6 + years, were they Home Grown ? And as for the Importance of resigning our own " Home Grown " players, i fully understand you can't sign em all.
But what about the ones who are considered the very definition of your team, ones like Rod Woodson. Can you NAME a bigger influence on our defense ? And he was let go at what ?...31 years old ? And went on to play in several more Pro Bowls, win a Super bowl, and grab another 30 Picks. So don't spit up in the air on my head and call it a sweet, gentle Pittsburgh rain :-)

When Max " Do nothing " starkes is given the one year tenure at 6 million last year, and then is given the one year " Franchise tag " that will make him MORE money than Ben Roethlisberger will amke this season, and Starkes has never even made an Honorable mention to a Pro Bowl,,,Ah, i wouldn't call that very sound management by Colbert! And please, don't show your Ignorance by going to the " Oh, we won two of the last 4 Super Bowl cards "
Cause that's a load of Crap! We won those games DESPITE of them,,not BECAUSE of them!

Bottom line is, we have two very REAL needs on this team that IS Super Bowl ready with alot of Vets in the way of a 3rd WR, and a DB. Cause our one starter is a little 33 year old DB who has broken down before in the past. And our ONLY two WR's are one who is nothing more than a " Practice field " Dummy. And a 2nd round selection last year who had easily 10 + drops when wide, wide, wide open!

And if we don't Improve on that, and defenses know they don't have to cover anyone with extra DB's, and can just key off on ben, ben WILL be crushed eventually, and Ben WILL suffer a season ending, if not Career ending Injury! Cause if you're looking for this current O-Line group to do the job both in pass protection, and run pushing,,well Hell! I could sub both " Angelina Jollie, and Uma Thurman on the O-line,,,and THEY could get a better push on the opposing D-Line than our current scrubs!!

But hey, it's okay, cayse we don't sign free agents right ? " ROTFLMMFAO "
THE WHOLE FREAKING TEAM CAN"T BE PERFECT. IN FACT I DON'T EVER REMEMBER A TIME WHEN ANY SPORTS TEAM WAS PERFECT IN EVERY ASPECT OF THE TEAM. STEELERS DON'T WIN BY THROWING 100 MIL AT UFA'S. STEELERS WIN BY DEVELOPING PLAYERS INTO THEIR OWN SYSTEM. ITS WORKED THIS DECADE AND IT WILL CONTINUE TO WORK. THE COWBOYS TRIED TO TAKE THAT ROUTE AND I DONT SEE THEM IN THE PLAYOFFS.