Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Veteran's (VA Hospital lessons)

So Friday I went to the VA Hospital down the road from me for some eligibilty stuff and I sat there and watched as the parade of veteran's from WW II to Korea to Vietnam to the first Gulf War (possibly the second too) marched past me.

I felt like I was in the presence of royalty every time one of them would gingerly walk past me or was pushed by in a wheelchair. I even had the pleasure of talking to a gentleman who served in WW II. We didn't talk about his service but about today's economy (all high level stuff nothing too serious), kids, etc.

And here's what I learned in my 2 hours at this place. One, today we take life too, way too, serious. I didn't see one person in there who wasn't smiling or at least laughing and joking with the person they were there with or standing next to in line. Two, we are the most impatient group of people today. As with the military, everything is a hurry up and wait. But really when you don't take things too serious, it's easy to be patient for others. I waited 10 minutes to be seen and then waited almost an hour to get my photo taken for my ID. Not once was I worried about time because I had others there laughing with me. Three, our priorities are in the wrong freakin' place. Day after day after week after week after month after month, we focus on the problems of the outside world - aka foreign policies - and it's not that it's not important to be friendly to foreign lands, it's just that it's more important that we focus inwardly and take care of our own. While I feel that homeless people and various other groups deserve help, I don't think there is one group out there that deserves more than those men and women who have served in the US ARMED SERVICES. Four, it will be very important for me to teach my children about respect for the men and women who have worn a uniform and respect for those who wear it today!!! Five, while I served voluntarily the sacrifice I made was miniscule compared to what those men and women gave up, all in the name of FREEDOM!

While my trip was only a few hours, what I learned today (beyond what I posted) was something that a classroom can never teach. The scars of war, both seen and unseen can never be taught in a classroom.

So let end by saying this:

I am thankful for every man and woman who voluntarily (and some not voluntarily) sacrificed life or limb for me to be where I am today!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04

Last edited by stlrtruck; 03-16-2009 at 02:24 PM.
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222
Default Re: Veteran's (VA Hospital lessons)

Amen
Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Dragonrider
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5834

Amen, thanks to the VA, a week from today I will have a new hip. I have talked to many people in my trips to my VA hospital. It is enjoyable. If you take the time to listen you will probably learn something. I know I have.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
Amen, thanks to the VA, a week from today I will have a new hip. I have talked to many people in my trips to my VA hospital. It is enjoyable. If you take the time to listen you will probably learn something. I know I have.
Even if you don't take the time to listen and just stare in to space, chances are you will learn something. If you actually take the time to listen, you might even have a chance to refute your history teacher!!!

Now that I think of it, I might take my daughter to the VA Hospital for visits when she gets older. Let her listen to the stories and let her beautiful smile bring some joy to the veterans.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do . Thanks Dragonrider!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Funny how little things like that bring you down to earth. I know what you mean.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

I visit the VA med center about every 3 weeks for my disabilities and although at first I used to dread them, I now enjoy them. When Vets get together we really do swap war stories. I almost always show up for my appointment an hour early. WWII Vets are the best. They give you chills when you listen to them and the pride in thier voices as they tell you stories that defy the hollywood dribble you watch at the theater.

On the other side of the coin is seeing the sacrifice first hand. Soldiers who gave parts of thier body in order to secure the worlds freedom from tyrants and terrorists.

It's a GD shame that we (Vets) have to jump through so many hoops and cut through so much red tape to get the help we need.

My family has a lineage of Marines who have fought for our country through three generations and three seperate wars. I served to honor them and every other soldier who ever served our country.

You want to thank a Vet? When you see a hat or shirt or a bumper sticker walk up and shake his hand when you see one. Don't be shy, believe it or not a handshake and a personal thank you goes a long way.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Would somone please convey these sentiments to Saint Obama? Our Commander In Chief plans on billing our soldiers insurance companies for their medical treatments. What a guy. He's is turning out to be exactly who I thought he was.........

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/2009031..._for_treatment

Quote:
WASHINGTON, March 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The leader of the nation's largest veterans organization says he is "deeply disappointed and concerned" after a meeting with President Obama today to discuss a proposal to force private insurance companies to pay for the treatment of military veterans who have suffered service-connected disabilities and injuries. The Obama administration recently revealed a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in such cases.

"It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan," said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. "He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it."

The Commander, clearly angered as he emerged from the session said, "This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies. I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans!"
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 03-17-2009 at 06:47 AM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

I am thankful for every man and woman who voluntarily (and some not voluntarily) sacrificed life or limb for me to be where I am today!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!
Amen brother!

Great post Stlrtuck.

Let's count our and blessings and be thankful to those who have made the sacrifices to preserve our way of life.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
You want to thank a Vet? When you see a hat or shirt or a bumper sticker walk up and shake his hand when you see one. Don't be shy, believe it or not a handshake and a personal thank you goes a long way.
This is definitely going to be my course of actions moving forward!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

I think it benefits everyone to give thanks to our service men and women. The simple acknowledgement of their sacrifice can go a long way.
To this day, I am still trying to get the entire story of my grandfathers service during WWII, but he still has a lot of repressed feelings and usually doesn't want to reflect or elaborate to a certain degree. I know he has seen many things he wishes he could forget.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote