Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers host PSU's Shipley

Steelers host PSU's Shipley
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_616323.html

By Mike Prisuta, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 16, 2009

About the writer

Mike Prisuta is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail or at 412-320-7923.
Home Delivery

The Steelers are hosting Penn State center A.Q. Shipley today on the South Side.

Shipley, 6-foot-1 and 304 pounds, won the Rimington Trophy in 2008, which is given annually to the nation's top center.

The Steelers also met with Shipley, a Moon Area High School graduate, at the scouting combine in February in Indianapolis.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456
Default Re: Steelers host PSU's Shipley

Looks like the Steelers talked to a local boy. Like his toughness but Alex Mack is higher on my board
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

I'd be very happy with Shipley. I would certainly put Mack and Wood ahead of him (I wouldn't touch Unger with a 10' pole, see Senior Bowl), but I'd definitely take a shot on Shipley in the right spot.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
calsteeler
Banned

Member Number: 13235

Just wondering, earlier, I posted a thread here with the topic title,,,new England to acquire Peppers, and before anyone could even read it, let alone respend, it was moved to the general NFL forum. And, I was already being called out as a dummy, and don't I know where to post the threads in the correct forum. Well maybe it's just me, maybe I'm stupid overs here but, doesn't a thread, with the topic title of how a draft eligable player is visiting the steelers belong in the steelers " warroom " forum ?

I mean hey, I'm just asking overs here.
calsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Should be in War room IMO.

I think Shipley may have been something of an overachiever at Penn State. The reviews I've read all state good technique and leverage. I wonder if his size may cause his ceiling to be a bit on the low side.

Center is probably the deepest position on the line. with Hartwig, Stapleton and Legusky in the mix. If we pick someone there it should be a standout guy (Mack or Wood) or a late rounder (5+).
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
calsteeler
Banned

I read this same topic at another steeler website, and they said the same thing about Shipley's lack of heaight, and size as a concern. And I say, what lack of size ? I mean look back at Mike Webster, how tall was he ? And even IF you wanna say, well that was back in the 70's and early80's, when smaller Linemen could get away with that size. Well what about the All-Decade Center, Dermontti Dawson ? I personally met Dermontti, and he was barely 2 maybe 2 1/2 inches taller than me, and I'm 5ft, 10. Shipley measured out at 6ft, 1 1/8th without shoes. Which makes him a legit 6ft, 2 guy. To me, Centers who have a lower center of gravity, and have great strength and a push are dominating centers.

Look, I like Mack, but Mack is 6ft, 4 without shoes, but barely weighs maybe 5lbs more than Shipley. And Shipley lifted the most of any Center at Indy. As where Mack refused to even lift. Shipley has been the O-Line ancher of a Penn State team that has faced the best of the best on defense. Mack for the most part has not. And even though ONE poster here will retort and retort that at the Senior Bowl workouts, mack was the only one who held his own against Raji of Boston College, that is not to say Shipley didn't do well. Shipley made great reviews both at the Senior Bowl, and Indy. And last time I checked, the writers and coaches of America said HE was the nations best center. Regardless to what clueless idiots like Mel Kiper say.

Shipley to me will be a stud center. And further more, he can be had probably late in the 3rd or 4th round. Meanning we can address another need at 32, and not use it on Mack, and nobody can show concrete eveidence that mack's play the past two seasons is anymore dominate then Shipley's was...No One!!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

I really like Shipley--he's definitely not a first round guy, but if we don't end up snagging Mack then Shipley could be a good mid-round acquisition to replace Hartwig in a season or two.

I don't really see Stapleton as having the size to start at C--he's a competent interior line backup and a smart player, but hopefully he won't be pressed into a starting role next year.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,838 Times in 921 Posts

If Shipley is around in the 4th round and we dont have a center, he would be OK.

Problem is that he doesnt project well to play guard, so he is gonna be a center only type guy, so boom or bust. He's built like a fire hydrant, but with the short arms, a defender can get hands on him and work him. Sadly I would rather have Mack, Wood or Caldwell before Shipley.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
calsteeler
Banned

Gonzo: I don't buy all this stuff about projecting. All this lack of height and arm reach is ridiculous, and can't be backed up by any facts whatsoever. I mean he can't play Guard ?...why. You don't think that if the5ft, 10 Terry Long was 26 right now that he couldn't still dominate at Guard like he did when he played for us, and made multiple Pro Bowls ? Hogwash I say. it's all about lower strength, and Balance. And Shipley has that all over Mack. In fact there have been many Centers the past 10 years who are just as short as Shipley, and with shorter arms who will be in Canton.

Just because Mel Kiper says it's so does not make it so. I saw Mack get eaten alive against the USC team, and saw Shipley constantly piledrive his man right up the field. So on the field, where it counts is where all the college league head coaches say Shipley is easily better than Mack.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,838 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsteeler View Post
Gonzo: I don't buy all this stuff about projecting. All this lack of height and arm reach is ridiculous, and can't be backed up by any facts whatsoever. I mean he can't play Guard ?...why. You don't think that if the5ft, 10 Terry Long was 26 right now that he couldn't still dominate at Guard like he did when he played for us, and made multiple Pro Bowls ? Hogwash I say. it's all about lower strength, and Balance. And Shipley has that all over Mack. In fact there have been many Centers the past 10 years who are just as short as Shipley, and with shorter arms who will be in Canton.

Just because Mel Kiper says it's so does not make it so. I saw Mack get eaten alive against the USC team, and saw Shipley constantly piledrive his man right up the field. So on the field, where it counts is where all the college league head coaches say Shipley is easily better than Mack.
You dont have to buy anything, but the fans that like to reference guys like Webster and Long, but forget this is 2009 and not 1979 are really trying to talk themselves into liking guys instead of being objective.

We all hack on Willie Colon because he is shorter and has shorter arms than preferred for a OT and look what happens to him in pass protection. If your opponent can get his arms on you and you cant lock out your arms to keep him off you, he can do a number of things...1. A push-pull move 2. A swim move 3. an arm over move, etc.

At the combine, Shipley showed great strength, footwork, quickness, balance and is apparantly a solid kid. I would not count him out, but I dont ignore his shortcomings just because he is a Moon grad. BTW, its not Kiper.......here is the NFL scouting report on him.

Lacks height, bulk and arm length. Projects to center only, probably in a zone-blocking system. Short arms prevent him from maintaining contact with tackles on the move, which lets his man shed or get past him. Initial punch is only adequate. Does not consistently sustain his blocks, especially against stronger tackles.http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...e-tab-analysis
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote