Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers contingent attends Ohio State Pro Day

Steelers contingent attends Ohio State Pro Day
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/16/stee...state-pro-day/

Don’t be surprised if the Pittsburgh Steelers select an Ohio State player come April’s NFL Draft.

Or even multiple Buckeyes.

Coach Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and director of football operations Kevin Colbert were among the representatives from the Super Bowl winners at the Ohio State Pro Day on Friday in Columbus, Ohio. Also in attendance was Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. In all, 29 NFL teams sent scouts and coaches, including approximately 15 position coaches, to watch 32 players (20 from Ohio State and 12 others from area schools) perform indoors. Most performed on FieldTurf, though six players ran their 40-yard dashes on AstroTurf.

With so many players, it made for a long day. The pro day started at 6:00 a.m. and ended at 3:30 p.m. in what was a well-organized event.

LB James Laurinaitis (6-2 1/8, 242 pounds), CB Malcolm Jenkins (6-0 1/2, 204 pounds) and RB Chris “Beanie” Wells (6-1 3/8, 237 pounds) were among the top prospects performing. Laurinaitis was clocked at 4.72 and 4.75 in the 40-yard dash, with times of 4.18 in the short shuttle and 6.81 in the three-cone drill. He kept the rest of his numbers from the combine.

Jenkins, who is being looked at as a safety as well as a cornerback due to slow times in the 40, tried to improve on his 40 numbers at the pro day, but was unsuccessful. He turned in times of 4.58 and 4.55 in Columbus after running between 4.52 and 4.58 at the NFL combine in Indianapolis (4.55 or quicker is considered ideal for NFL corners). He stood on the rest of his numbers from the combine.

Wells was pleased with most of his numbers from the combine, choosing only to run the 40-yard dash again. He was clocked at 4.44 and 4.38 at the pro day.

Another strong performance came from LB Marcus Freeman (6-0 3/4, 239 pounds). He looked really good in drills and was healthy for the first time in a while after battling a bad ankle all season long at Ohio State. He ran the 40 in 4.51 and 4.52 seconds, and he turned in times of 4.08 in the short shuttle and 6.66 in the three-cone drill.

Other notables from the pro day:

WR Brian Robiskie (6-2 7/8, 205 pounds) looked good in position drills and improved on his 40 time, running a 4.52 and a 4.54. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the NFL combine.

CB Donald Washington (6-0 1/8, 199 pounds) ran the 40 in 4.52 and 4.54 seconds and had times of 4.13 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.70 in the three-cone drill.

OT Alex Boone (6-7 1/4, 315 pounds) stood on his numbers from the combine.

QB Todd Boeckman (6-4 3/4, 240 pounds) ran 40-yard dash times of 4.78 and 4.75 on AstroTurf. He had a 31-inch vertical and a 9-foot, 3-inch broad jump with a 4.39 short shuttle and a 7.08 three-cone drill.

WR Brian Hartline (6-1 5/8, 193 pounds) stood on most of his numbers from the combine, but did run the 40 with times of 4.54 and 4.49.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts
Default Re: Steelers contingent attends Ohio State Pro Day

Quote:
WR Brian Robiskie (6-2 7/8, 205 pounds) looked good in position drills and improved on his 40 time, running a 4.52 and a 4.54. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the NFL combine.
he ran a 4.49 at the combine.......
great numbers by freeman......

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
mcmac
Water Boy

Member Number: 10470

I hope we draft any OSU player. GO BUCKYEYES!!!
mcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
calsteeler
Banned

Member Number: 13235

Interesting that all of them were there. I guess they could be looking at the big OT. But if their DC was there, they might be looking at Jenkins, and see if they might think it's worth it to try and trade up. Let me answer that for you right now....NO F'ING WAY!!

Jenkins is nothing but Hype. They say he might have to play safety once in the NFL not just because of a lack of speed and burst, but a lack of burst. However as a safety, Deion Sanders is a harder hitter then Jenkins is. If you watched the Fiesta Bowl, it was a WR who will likely go " Undrafted " in Quan Cosby who made Jenkins his " B!tch "
I mean really, Quan killed him time and time again.

Robiskie is a nice WR. But make no mistake, he has no on the field speed or burst. he actually ran a fastest 40 time of 4,51 at Indy. And that was only because Robiskie is a professional trace guy, who lmows how to swing his arms while running on a track, and in shorts. but on the field he gets no seperation at all, and is purely a possesion WR.
However he is a physical WR, tough, and fits our mold of WR's who will crack a defender down the field. So it's hard to say who they might be targeting. I just Pray it's not the extreme;y
" Overhyped " Jenkins. Cause he has no position in the NFL!
calsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Laurinaitis will more than likely be available at pick #32. I am guessing he is probably the main reason for the full strength contingent being present.

Jenkins will be gone and is not a worthy candidate to trade up for.

The others are late rounders that might be considered.

Tomlin loved Timmons - maybe he likes Laurinitis to the same degree???
Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Steelers Since '75
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8308

Wouldn't that ne a crazy 1st round pick... Laurinitus... our LB core would scare teams off the field...

Harrison
Woodley
Timmons
Laurinitus

Steelers Since '75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

Hmmm this is interesting. I wonder what other pro days or private works out our coaching staff will attend. When is The Wake Forest pro day?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,689 Posts

Yeah, I wonder if they have interest in any of the lesser known guys like Freeman, Boone or Washington?

I dont see Jenkins, Wells, Laurinitis being in the cards, but maybe Robiske.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsteeler View Post
Robiskie is a nice WR. But make no mistake, he has no on the field speed or burst. he actually ran a fastest 40 time of 4,51 at Indy. And that was only because Robiskie is a professional trace guy, who lmows how to swing his arms while running on a track, and in shorts. but on the field he gets no seperation at all, and is purely a possesion WR.
However he is a physical WR, tough, and fits our mold of WR's who will crack a defender down the field. So it's hard to say who they might be targeting. I just Pray it's not the extreme;y
L!
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Ohio State receiver Brian Robiskie, son of former Browns assistant Terry Robiskie, put on an impressive workout at the NFL Scouting Combine on Sunday.

Robiskie, projected as a second-round pick, ran a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash. Robiskie hoped to run a sub-4.5, and was named performer of the day, his dad said Sunday night while waiting for a flight back to Atlanta, where he's receivers coach for the Falcons.

"He was excellent in all the drills," said the elder Robiskie. "I thought he did a great job of running his routes, a nice job of making his cuts and he caught every ball. He was very, very smooth and he topped it off by running a corner-route and making a left-handed one-handed catch, which I thought was tremendous."

Robiskie finished fifth among receivers in the 3-cone drill (6.72) and eighth in the 20-yard shuttle. His 40 time was not among the top 10.

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock was equally impressed with Robiskie, who played at Chagrin Falls High.

"I loved him," said Mayock. "He looked good. And he really didn't surprise me, because that's who he is. He ran high 4.4s. He grew up with football. I thought 4.55 or better for him would be great. He caught everything. He runs every drill.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsteeler View Post
Interesting that all of them were there. I guess they could be looking at the big OT. But if their DC was there, they might be looking at Jenkins, and see if they might think it's worth it to try and trade up. Let me answer that for you right now....NO F'ING WAY!!

Jenkins is nothing but Hype. They say he might have to play safety once in the NFL not just because of a lack of speed and burst, but a lack of burst. However as a safety, Deion Sanders is a harder hitter then Jenkins is. If you watched the Fiesta Bowl, it was a WR who will likely go " Undrafted " in Quan Cosby who made Jenkins his " B!tch "
I mean really, Quan killed him time and time again.

" Overhyped " Jenkins. Cause he has no position in the NFL!

Just about everything you typed here was wrong. I mean, you are SO far off it's not even funny. Most of your posts are garbage, but this post is hot-reeking-baby-diapers-full-of-shit garbage.

-Jenkins hits like a truck. His ONLY knock is recovery speed, and that's ONLY if you buy combine numbers. He'll be an instant star.

-Robiskie is a coaches son, runs great routes, and averaged 17 YPC last year (which is as good an indicator of seperation as any). Speed is only one way a WR gets seperation. MOST importantly, he's physical, and has super soft hands. He's as NFL ready as any WR in the draft.

I've watched every Buckeyes game for years. You are WAY off the mark here...

Oh, and Lil Animal won't be on the board at 20, let alone 32....