Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers LB (James) Harrison to attend workouts

Steelers LB Harrison to attend workouts
By James Walker
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...228&type=story

Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison will be present as the Super Bowl champions open their offseason workout program Monday despite unresolved contractual issues, his agent said.

"Yes, James will be there," agent Bill Parise said of the NFL's 2008 defensive player of the year.

Both sides remain in constant talks, so there was no need for Harrison to miss the session, according to Parise, as it could lead to unwarranted tension.

Though Parise wouldn't elaborate on the negotiations, he recently told ESPN.com that both sides remained hopeful but far apart.

"We're talking and meeting pretty regularly, almost daily, but we're having a difficult time getting to where we need to be," Parise said last month.

Harrison, 30, is coming off a year in which he recorded 101 tackles, 16 sacks and seven forced fumbles for Pittsburgh.

He made a salary of $1.2 million last season, making him one of the league's best bargains.

So far the Steelers have not been active in free agency while focusing mostly on keeping their own players.

Signing Harrison to a long-term deal is one of the team's biggest internal priorities.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491
Default Re: Steelers LB (James) Harrison to attend workouts

My question is do agents work for contracts that are in their best interest or the players. My guest is that the agent works for a deal that will pay him the most percentage wise which also benefits the player. I think in most cases if it were not for most agents pushing up the price tag players would make deals a lot sooner.

Harrison should be paid more, but from an owner stand point a lot of the money should be based on performance and I suspect this is what the hold up is the guaranteed money part of the contract.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

..... glad to see Mr. Harrison attending off-season work-outs, and hopefully an agreement will be reached that satisfies both parties:
no-need for drama-queens like Cutler in the Steeler Nation

Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
My question is do agents work for contracts that are in their best interest or the players. My guest is that the agent works for a deal that will pay him the most percentage wise which also benefits the player. I think in most cases if it were not for most agents pushing up the price tag players would make deals a lot sooner.

Harrison should be paid more, but from an owner stand point a lot of the money should be based on performance and I suspect this is what the hold up is the guaranteed money part of the contract.
Yeah, a good agent is gonna do the best he can for his client and that is the only way he will get more clients. There is no real "paid on performance contract structure". Harrison has been playing well above his pay grade for the past 2 seasons and they probably want more guaranteed $$ up front..........which the Steelers might not be able to fit under the cap with recent deals given to their current players.

Worst case scenario is he plays a year cheap and gets tagged next season. That would create a lot of tension, but I think Harrison is a standup guy that wants to get paid what he is worth.

Scary thing for Harrison is he is once ACL injury away from the end of his career and he has never been paid what he is worth yet. The fact that Max Starks will make $15 million over 2 seasons and James Harrison will make $2.5 million over the same 2 seasons...........is criminal.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, a good agent is gonna do the best he can for his client and that is the only way he will get more clients. There is no real "paid on performance contract structure". Harrison has been playing well above his pay grade for the past 2 seasons and they probably want more guaranteed $$ up front..........which the Steelers might not be able to fit under the cap with recent deals given to their current players.

Worst case scenario is he plays a year cheap and gets tagged next season. That would create a lot of tension, but I think Harrison is a standup guy that wants to get paid what he is worth.

Scary thing for Harrison is he is once ACL injury away from the end of his career and he has never been paid what he is worth yet. The fact that Max Starks will make $15 million over 2 seasons and James Harrison will make $2.5 million over the same 2 seasons...........is criminal.
i know if i was DPOY, there's know way i'm steppin on the field knowing i'm making not just less, but grossley less than a guy who was, and should be , a backup.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,312 Times in 1,831 Posts

Quote:
Though Parise wouldn't elaborate on the negotiations, he recently told ESPN.com that both sides remained hopeful
Quote:
but far apart.
uhhhhh....... does anyone think that doesn't sound promising ? i'm sure the steelers offered him what they think is "fair" taking harrisons age into consideration......

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,659 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Please hurry up and get signed Harrison. It would be nice to have your services for the next few years.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

How many players of the Steelers historically negotiated and signed contracts with that still had 2 years left on the current contract?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Parker did I think. Or he was close.

Bottom line, the Steelers are NOT cheap (They just don't overpay...huge difference). They'll make Harrison a fair deal.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Is anyone else besides me not worried about this? I think both parties will end up happy in the end and we will get a deal done, if not soon, over the summer.
Sharkissle29 is online now   Reply With Quote