Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Capizzi hoping this is the year

Thursday, March 19, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Quote:
When the Steelers placed tackle Marvel Smith on injured reserve near the end of the 2008 season and signed tackle Jason Capizzi, he had no idea he just came back to a team that would be headed to the Super Bowl.

Capizzi was on the St. Louis Rams practice squad at the time, sitting and waiting since late October on a team that wasn’t headed anywhere in the post-season.

Then in December Smith, who had missed the previous 10 games, was placed on IR. And it was another opportunity for Capizzi to make it on his hometown team.

Capizzi, who played at Indiana University of Pennsylvania and is from Gibsonia, Pa., was originally signed by the Steelers as a rookie free agent in 2007. He was released prior to the start of the season and then spent time on the New York Jets, Tampa Bay Bucs and Kansas City Chiefs practice squads, before being signed to the Steelers 53-man roster prior to their AFC Wild Card playoff game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

During the 2008 off-season Capizzi suffered a stress fracture in his foot, ending any chance he had at winning a spot on the roster and was eventually released during training camp.

This year, he is hoping that the third time is a charm. Capizzi, 6-9, 330, got an early jump on working out when he started coming to the practice facility before the offseason workouts even began. He is working out daily while making sure he paces himself to stay healthy.

“For us younger guys that didn’t play as much as the veterans did, it’s an opportunity for us to come in and get a lot of undivided attention,” said Capizzi. “It’s something good. You have to watch and not go into it too hard. That’s something I did last year and got hurt. You take your time, ease into it and get it ready to go. We are going to be here four months so we understand it’s a process.”

After being on the roster but inactive for the post-season last year, Capizzi is hoping this year he finally gets his chance to get out on the field.

“I want to be a contributor,” said Capizzi. “I don’t want to be on the sidelines in shorts and a t-shirt rooting for my team. I want to be out there in uniform and if my name is called, let’s go, go out there and help and protect Ben (Roethlisberger) any way I can, whether it’s right or left tackle. I can do both and just help my team win games.”

The Steelers did apply the franchise tag on tackle Max Starks this year and recently re-signed tackle Trai Essex. But Smith is not expected to be back and Capizzi still feels good about fighting for that roster spot.

“I hope that I have shown enough in my film and preparation that they know I can get the job done,” said Capizzi. “I just have to keep working and get better every day.”

Capizzi was raised a Steelers fan, going to games as a kid with his dad. He doesn’t think being a hometown kid brings more pressure, but it does bring excitement.

“Its more satisfaction when it does work out because my family is here and they get to experience this with me,” said Capizzi. “It’s not pressure. The game is pressure enough. You just want to out there and perform well and do well.”

Being a hometown guy Capizzi has been trying to get out in the community as well, recently taking part in the Sixth Annual Reading Is FUNdamental Pittsburgh Dr. Seuss/Read Across America Day at the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh. Capizzi read “I Can Read With My Eyes Shut,” and enjoyed the experience.

“Reading a book is kind of different. It’s a good program,” said Capizzi. “I felt like a first grade school teacher, holding the book about and showing the pictures and reading it while rhyming like Dr. Seuss does it. You have to get into the flow of it. After the first few pages I was fine.
“It’s always good to give back to the community that helped you when you were a child. It’s very special to me to help out the City of Pittsburgh. It’s a great city and close to my heart.”
It seems the offseason news is obviously getting very scarce (ie trade Ben), so I'll just see if anyone is willing to comment on a real story.

I hope he gets his shot this year. He's definately saying all the right things.

http://news.steelers.com/article/104152/

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Default Re: Capizzi hoping this is the year

Dude is big enough.....I'd love to see him turn the corner as well.

If memory serves me wasn't he a blue chip recruit originally committed to Pitt before an off field issue landed him in the doghouse so he transferred to IUP.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

If there's anything that has a chance of getting the crushing weight of the Max Starks Annual Franchise Tag Contract off our neck, I am wholeheartedly in favor of it.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,180 Posts

stapleton went from practice squad to starting in the superbowl..... ....keep the faith capizzi...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

I have heard good things about this guy, but there never seemed to be a place for him. I think if he's going to make a name for himself, this year would be his time.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,871 Times in 2,115 Posts

here is an article i posted 2 years ago before the draft where kirwan was taking about finding a sleeper and developmental players.

i too have been patiently hoping jason can develop into a willig clone.

Quote:
DRILLING AT THE BOTTOM
I learned a valuable lesson a long time ago getting ready for the draft. It's important to spend time in the early part of April digging and scratching down at the bottom of the talent pool for late-round draft picks and free-agent types with at least one special quality -- exceptional speed, rare size, an interesting athlete from another sport -- something that catches your eye.

The personnel director should take one scout and turn him loose on the bottom feeders. Close to one whole round in the draft will come from players not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine.

Back in the early 1990s, we came across a player named Matt Willig, a backup defensive tackle at USC who was 6-foot-9. He didn't do much on game tapes and tested below our standards for a defensive tackle, but he could bend his knees and was smart to go along with that 6-9. We signed him about 15 minutes after the draft and moved him to offensive tackle. He spent two years training at the new position and ended up playing in the NFL for well over 10 years.

When you decide to work the bottom of the talent pool, I'm talking about players who did not go to the Combine, probably didn't play in any all-star games, and might have little in the area of production. They can be from big schools or they could be from schools no one has ever heard of.

Here's a list of the kind of guys I'm talking about. The young scout needs to head out on a three-week tour, working out a group like this, talking football with them, watching some tapes and aiming to come back to the office a day or two before the draft with a few nuggets. Remember when Steelers scout Dan Rooney Jr. came back with a running back named Willie Parker? Parker never started at North Carolina but he had rare speed.

And now, here's my "Matt Willig List" for the 2007 draft. The first reaction from a scout I ran the list by was, "These guys can't play." Perfect, that's what everyone said about Willig, so I know I'm on the right track! The goal is to find one late-round pick/free agent who is worth developing as an offensive lineman.

1. Jason Capizzi, Indiana (Pa.) University (6-9, 324 pounds)
Key numbers: 5.22 40-yard dash, 34-inch arms, 11?-inch hands.
Sounds like a Willig clone, and I sure hope he can bend his ankles and knees.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

I love this kid.

There was an article about him before the 2007 draft about him being a hometown kid that wanted a shot, so I have rooted for him since. Was saddened when they cut him because I saw potential. But was ecstatic when they signed him back.

I hope they develop him into a starter. He could be here for a long time.

FWP, Silverback, Capizzi? Why not?

I think he's better than Colon right now. And you don't need a proctologist to see it.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

This young man fits in.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,

Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
SteelMember
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

This young man fits in.
I don't want to get off topic, but you notice the only guy without a towel is Reed.

"Damn You Empty Towel Dispenser!"

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
I don't want to get off topic, but you notice the only guy without a towel is Reed.

"Damn You Empty Towel Dispenser!"
Great catch Steel!! Weirder than green @#$%. But then, so is Jeff.

Abraham Lincoln