Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Fans United

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382
Default 'Burghers in exile

Just wondering how many of you forum folks are from the Burgh... living in exile. Also when did you start following the Steelers. I'm from the small town of Cecil about 20 miles SW of the Burg and started following the steelers in the mid 60's.......Heres to #7

shoes
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924
Default Re: Burger's in exile

I am a born and raised New Yorker but I've been following the Steelers since I was about 6 yrs old - 1972.

I feel blessed that I was able to make it to Three Rivers for one game before they tore it down.

I bleed black & gold and have had to go toe-to-toe with more than one guy here in NYC who made the tragic mistake of accusing me of being a bandwagon fan.

While #6 has been a lovely thing to flaunt in front of my friends who are cowgirl fan, #7 will remove all doubt and I hope shut up all the the analysts who are STILL heaping praise on Belicheat.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562
Default Re: Burger's in exile

I'm originally from Charleroi, about 30 miles south on the Mon. Moved to Northern VA about 10 years ago. Followed the Steelers my entire life.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: 'Burghers in exile

I was born when my parents lived on Squirrel Hill in the early 50s. We left the Burgh when I was 4 and I lived as a corporate brat in exile, and have since lived at 25 addresses all over the world.

I can't say I was a fan in the 50s and 60s but I remember my Dad and Grandfather were and so was the rest of the family. I remember the names Stauntner, Lipscomb, Dial, Lane, and Johnson were "household names".

The Pirates were on the front burner at our house in those days. Clemente was the family hero. I was in 1st grade during the 1960 series and the ONLY kid in the school that wasn't frothing at the mouth for the wankees. Sweet vindication came with that Mazeroski shot over the left field wall.

I started pulling for the Steelers in the early 70s and have been a loyal fan since. Thick or thin, that's my team. I'm actually rather disinterested in "sports" at this point, but still a rabid Steelers fan that appreciates there is a league so the Steelers have teams to play.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
1st&Goal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8802

I was born and raised in Beaver Falls. Started watching the Steelers in the late 60's with my dad. He didn't live long enough to see them begin the glory days of the mid seventies. I've lived in 5 different states, and now I live in New Hampshire. I get back to the 'Burgh 2-3 times a year, and it always refreshes me. I wear black and gold regularly throught the season, and believe me, my neighbors all know what nation I belong to.
1st&Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

I grew up in the small steel town of Vandergrift, PA & shortly after I graduated & my Grandfather passed away, my Mom moved us to Florida. I lived in california for awhile & came back to Florida.
I've been a Steelers fan since me n Gramp watched the 70's Steelers win the first four, & also watched the Pirates win the Series.
It's been alot easier to keep up with the Steelers in the past few years since we got online, it makes a huge difference when you are a transplanted fan!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
hindes204
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 7614

I was born and raised on the west side of Steel City, 10 minutes from downtown...ive been a fan for as long as i remember, been to three rivers more times than i can count, joined the service and havent lived there since...i sure miss primanti sandwiches and perogies
Old 03-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st&Goal View Post
I was born and raised in Beaver Falls. Started watching the Steelers in the late 60's with my dad. He didn't live long enough to see them begin the glory days of the mid seventies. I've lived in 5 different states, and now I live in New Hampshire. I get back to the 'Burgh 2-3 times a year, and it always refreshes me. I wear black and gold regularly throught the season, and believe me, my neighbors all know what nation I belong to.
I was born and raised right across the river from you in New Brighton, Pa. I have been a Steelers fan since birth I guess you could say (1975). I remember going to games when I was 4-5 with my grandfather, remember watching games with the family for as long as I can remember, basically born into the profession of being a Steelers fan. I am now in Charleston, SC and there is a huge Steelers following down here. In the immediate area of Charleston there are 5 die hard Steeler bars that I know of. For the Super Bowl there were probably about 75 Steelers fans at my buddies house watching the game, so no shortage of Pittsburgh influence on Sunday. Still miss the Burgh on some days, except when I am wearing shorts and a tee shirt in January and I think about the cold and snow up there. Like Hindes said, I have a constant craving for Primanti's sammiches.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

I was born in L.A., moved the Pittsburgh, moved to Alabama, moved to Chicago, to Gary, and now back to Alabama. Have been a Steelers fan since I was born (1986). What sucks is I am the only sibling who wasn't born in a year where the Steelers won the Superbowl.

There is actually a pretty big following down here because of the steel industry. At work everyone supports a different team, and it was great because we were all in the hunt late in the season. Made for some fun mid-afternoon trash talk around LOWES.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Muppet13
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9529

Cincy is my home, even if it is also the bungals home. Most people are actually starting to ignore the fact that the bungals live here too though.

Hmm... I wonder why? (sarcastically)