Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rooney not sold on rule change

Rooney not sold on rule change
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...ce=rss&feed=9#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, March 22, 2009

If the Steelers are going to support a rule that may rein in wide receiver Hines Ward, it will take some convincing from those in favor of it.

Ward broke the jaw of Keith Rivers last October with a crack-back block that flattened the Cincinnati Bengals' linebacker and ended his season. Such a play could become illegal if 24 of the 32 owners vote for the change that was recommended by the NFL's competition committee and would make helmet-to-helmet contact on blindside blocks a penalty.

The owners meetings start today in Dana Point, Calif., and run through Wednesday.

"As we stand here today, we say it's a good football play," Steelers president Art Rooney II said of Ward's block. "Too bad the guy got hurt, but it's a good football play. It's been in the game forever. We want to see how they present it."

Rich McKay, a co-chair of the competition committee, said the proposed change came about after numerous plays, including Ward's block on Rivers, were reviewed. Ward was not penalized for the block, and Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of field operations, said the play was "perfectly legal" under the current rules.

Even after the NFL extensively looked at the play, there was not agreement on whether Ward, a fierce downfield blocker, had led with his body or his head when he hit Rivers.

"Some of our guys may have seen helmet-to-helmet (contact)," Anderson said, referring to his officials, "some may have seen shoulder-to-helmet."

One issue the Steelers have with the new rule is it would make it too much of a judgment call for referees.

"In general, you want to see player safety, but when it comes down to, how are they going to officiate these individual plays, it does make us nervous," Rooney said. "The helmet-to-helmet contact thing, that's usually not that difficult to officiate that, you can see that. But not when you start to say it's a blindside block, what does that mean? So you start to get into these things, how are they going to officiate it? We're not really for a real dramatic change on those kinds of things."

One change Rooney supports that won't go before the owners for a vote involves overtime.

"We'd like to see each team get one possession," Rooney said, "not make it anything that has to be a dramatic change, but really just have each team get one possession before we have to get into our sudden-death situation."

McKay and Anderson said there was a strong sentiment, especially among players that were surveyed, to stick with the current sudden-death format.

Rooney, however, said the fact that Super Bowl XLIII almost went into overtime — Santonio Holmes' 6-yard touchdown catch with less than a minute to play propelled the Steelers past the Arizona Cardinals — reinforced his belief that both teams should get one possession if there is a tie at the end of regulation.

"If we don't score the touchdown and kick the field goal and go into overtime, maybe you kick off to them and they hit one pass to Larry Fitzgerald and kick a field goal, it's over," Rooney II said. "To me it shouldn't be that way. We should at least get one shot at it, particularly in a game like that."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 03-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Rooney not sold on rule change

No more blocking, no more hitting, don't change the NFL to the No Fun League....
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I have mixed feelings about the overtime thing.

On one hand, it would be nice for each team to have one chance, like Dan says.

On the other hand, the way it is now, a team has to be sure that any one aspect of it's team is strong enough to handle the challenge. Even special teams could be called on to win a game. I like that about Tomlin.....he wants to sure all three aspects of this team can be called upon at any time to get the job done.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

If you ask me.......and I guess that is what these forumns are for.......I would say......
If you do not want to hit or be hit, play another sport..........Good hits are good hits.....
The defense has to stand it's ground.......If you keep taking away the opertunities to
protect that ground, you will see Higher scoring games.....There has to be some fear
of going over the middle, or getting blocked by a crackback block.......
When a defensive guy takes one of these hits, You watch the tape and see,
they are not looking in the direction that they are running......
They are always traversing the field in persuit of the ball carrier....
That leaves A large part of the body exposed for a legal hit, because the perephreal
vision cannot see the block coming since the head is turned to the other side.......
When you go to block or tackle somebody, you always look at the waist.....
That is the only part of the body that does not move during a juke(a move).....
So if you are doing it correctly you might not see if the other guy's head is turned...
Since you are focusing on his waist......
In my estimation you have to know where you are going when running(pursuing a ball carrier)
The feild of play is the feild of play,and if you want to use the sidelines to
block,to me that is all fair game.....The Awareness of where the blockers are on the field
is the responsibility of the defensive player......Just like a receiver going over the middle.......
Old 03-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

New photo of uniforms if the brady ruile and the lack of better name the hines rule get inacted.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Let's get the refs to see holding calls on Harrison better, THEN we'll get to this rule.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pidasso View Post
Let's get the refs to see holding calls on Harrison better, THEN we'll get to this rule.
Agreed! Everybody I mean EVERYBODY else sees it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I have mixed feelings about the overtime thing.

On one hand, it would be nice for each team to have one chance, like Dan says.

On the other hand, the way it is now, a team has to be sure that any one aspect of it's team is strong enough to handle the challenge. Even special teams could be called on to win a game. I like that about Tomlin.....he wants to sure all three aspects of this team can be called upon at any time to get the job done.
I see your point. BUT! The leagues rules WAY benefit the offense ie pass interference, non holding calls against the o-line (see above) and so on. So to me until they level the field by adjusting the rules, both offenses should get at least one shot.

How would we have felt if the Steelers kicked a FG in the SB and went into overtime, lost the coin toss then had a ticky tack PI call made on Ike when they sent Fitz deep. They kick the game winning FG and we are left with indigestion!

I say change the OT rules.

As for the Hines Ward block.............. Classic football right there.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

The NFL promotes huge hits by the defense to sell the game.

But when an offensive player (99% of the time a STEELER) hits someone hard and that player whines about it, they force a rule change.

What a crock.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Maybe we should institute a rule that once a player has been grabbed he has to stop his progress so that the play is stopped an no one gets hurt even if he feels that he can pull away and make a big play.

Also create a rule that if a hit is determined by the ref to be brutal that this is penalized and fined by the league for being to rough.

If this does not help with the hard hitting then we would install electronic sensors on the uniforms that are touched to acknowledge that a player is down or out of the current play.

scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote