Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Taking a look at Malcolm Jenkins; would the Steelers trade up for him?

Steeler report: Taking a look at Malcom Jenkins; would the Steelers trade up for him?
March 22, 2:19 AM ∑ Add a Comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ade-up-for-him

PITTSBURGH - When Ohio State held its pro day last week, not only were Steeler scouts there, but so was Coach Mike Tomlin.

Who he had his eye on is unclear. Brian Robiskie would make a good replacement for Nate Washington while James Lauranaitus is in the mold of the Steeler linebacking tradition. Both could still be available with the second pick.

But you can bet a player of interest was cornerback Malcom Jenkins. Jenkins registered 4.55 and 4.58 seconds at his pro day which again were slow

This gives more credence to the fact why his stock may be falling in the draft, as many predictors are looking to him as possibly moving over to the safety slot.

Jenkins has read the reports, heard the rumors and had this to say about his skills when asked about the possible transition because of his times.

"They can't really listen to guys like Mel Kiper and the other analysts who haven't played football before," Jenkins said. "I know the feedback I'm hearing from the teams and the scouts, and it has all been positive."

A number of mock drafts have Jenkins going to the New Orleans Saints with the 14th pick, but there are others who have him falling beyond that. To trade up for the 14th pick would be costly, and although the Steelers need a corner donít expect this to happen unless they saw something in him like they did in Troy Polamalu.

While Jenkins speed has come under scrutiny, he is an intriguing prospect. The Buckeyes have been known to turn out some decent guys in the NFL secondary, such as Shawn Springs, Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements. Itís early, but Jenkins may be the best of that batch.

There are those who have said Jenkins is a gambler at times, and lacks the speed to recover. But in watching this guy play a number of games, what I like is that he does a very good job of covering big or fast receivers. He is also very physical against the run not to mention a leader on the field. If there is a downside itís the fact Ohio State played a lot of zone coverage instead of man-to-man. New Era scouting says he is a great open field tackler, though.

Had he come out last year, Jenkins would have been a top ten pick. As a junior in 2007 Jenkins recorded 47 tackles and four interceptions and was named a first team All-American by Pro Football Weekly and a first team All-Big Ten for the second consecutive year.

Last year, he won the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given to the nation's best defensive back, after recording 57 tackles and three interceptions.

Another reason to like Jenkins is his attitude. When asked about the draft, he says it doesn't matter where he lands, but he also says whoever takes him will get a player.

"In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter who drafts me," Jenkins said. ďI look at is as my dream was always to make it to the NFL. If I go to the top five or ten, that's just a plus. Once I get to the NFL, I'll get on a team, play and do what Malcolm Jenkins does. It's just a blessing and I'm happy to be in the situation I am."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456
Default Re: Steeler report: Taking a look at Malcom Jenkins; would the Steelers trade up for

He could surely help the Steelers adress the need for DB. I hope enough teams pass on him so he can end up being picked up by the black & gold whether for some strange reason @ pick #32 or by trade
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Steeler report: Taking a look at Malcom Jenkins; would the Steelers trade up for

I like Jenkins. seems to be an nfl ready corner

but the first round is not where I would like to see the CB depth added. Round 3-5 seems better to me.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

he is probably the most physical corner in this years draft and I love that. I would welcome him to Sixburgh
Old 03-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

The main problem would be how does one convince New Orleans not to take him & will he be too irresistible for Chicago & Detroit to pass up & will the Steelers be giving up too much to go into the teens (if they are wiling to do so).
Old 03-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
triphahn
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13282

Don't see Jenkins happening either by trade up or slipping that far. They were probably taking a look at Laurinitis.
triphahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,064 Posts

Jenkins will goto a team that plays a cover 2 scheme or can use a CB/FS. He doesnt have deep speed, so the safety help with fit him best.

He should be gone by #32 and no way we trade up to get him.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by triphahn View Post
They were probably taking a look at Laurinitis.
I sigh
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
I sigh
I want that guy . . . I almost wish our LB weren't so good so we'd have a reason to pick him.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Well with 2 pro bowlers another guy who definetely should have made the pro bowl last year (obviously instead of T. Thugs) & 5 starter caliber guys I guess you're out of luck