Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199
Default Florida OT Watkins

http://profootball.scout.com/2/849458.html

Florida offensive tackle Jason Watkins was another player in high demand at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis last month. He had more than 20 formal interviews with NFL team officials, including the Cincinnati Bengals, New Orleans Saints, Tennessee Titans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New York Giants, Pittsburgh Steelers and the Washington Redskins.

Not bad for a guy who hadn't even thought about playing football until his junior year in high school.

"I grew up playing basketball. That was the sport I always played," he said during a recent interview. "When I moved to Florida, the football coach wanted me to try out and I thought I'd give it a try. So I tried it and I loved playing it."

When it came time for Watkins to head to college, he was recruited by Oklahoma, LSU, Auburn, Florida and Michigan State.

"It just felt right when I came here. I prayed on it, I talked to them all, but I think I moved to Florida for a reason," he said. "When I was younger, I didn't know what it was, but I guess I see now that God has a plan for me. Since I moved to Florida, everything just felt so right, so that's why I chose Florida."

Out of all of the formal interviews that Watkins had during the Combine, his one with the Steelers was one of the most memorable because it gave him the opportunity talk with Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin.

"I was pretty much speechless because they just won the Super Bowl. When I walked into the meeting room, he was the first person who greeted me," he said. "I was like, 'man' and after that I was telling everyone in the hotel 'I met Coach Tomlin in there!' I think that was the highlight of my night and I was very honored."

Watkins, a 6-foot-6, 318-pound offensive tackle, started 29 games for the Gators, including two at tight end. He was a team captain during his senior year while Florida won their eighth SEC Championship and their second BCS National Title in three years.

Worth looking at. Don't hear his name a ton, but coming from a top-flight program. He may still be there in the 4th.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,150 Times in 1,467 Posts
Default Re: Florida OT Watkins

I think Watkins is a 5th or later round prospect. He looks like a long term project and I dont know if he could contribute for a few years.

At the Senior Bowl he didnt show a decent kick slide to get depth on the good speed rushers and when he did........he left the inside rush lane open so guys cut back in on him. He honestly looked terrible!!! Troy Kropogg looked to have better footwork, but was much weaker, Watkins looked big, but with terrible footwork.

I really dont think of great O linemen when I think of the Florida Gators. Kenyatta Walker and Max Starks are the best I can think of . Watkins is a roll of the dice, so I would not do it with a valued pick.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote