Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-26-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default A pair of MVP's at wide receiver

The Steelers definitely have a rarity on their hands with two starting wide receivers who have won Super Bowl MVP honors. And its something that they are proud of.

Santonio Holmes was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, while Hines Ward won the honor for Super Bowl XL.

Thats the coolest thing ever in football, said Holmes. I have been thinking about that lately and I am pretty sure Hines is. The last couple of times we saw each other we talked about it. We were saying nobody can ever take that away from us, we are Super Bowl MVPs.

I can also see how special it is to him that his younger understudy, who worked so hard to get somewhere, never did a lot of complaining, but set out to do what he wanted to do.

http://news.steelers.com/article/104268/

The Super Bowl celebration continued for guard Chris Kemoeatu when a luau was held in his honor in his home state of Hawaii.

They are excited for me, said Kemoeatu of the reaction back in Hawaii. Just to have one of the local boys to be in the Super Bowl they are all excited about it. Its rare to have someone from the Islands play in the Super Bowl.

They always taught us from the time we are kids that when you go out there you are not just representing yourself, but also your family and friends and community. They are always proud, not just because we won the Super Bowl but we are role models for the kids.

Fellow offensive guard Darnell Stapleton was also honored recently when Darnell Stapleton Day was held at Hudson Valley Community College. Stapleton started his college career there, before moving on to Rutgers.

Stapletons No. 63 college jersey was retired as a part of the day.
"I feel honored that they would do this for me, said Stapleton. I think that they would do the same thing for anybody who came through the program and had the same success that I've had.
Trai Essex is hoping that now that he has re-signed with the Steelers he can get to work on the other thing he wants to accomplish this off-season, earning a starting spot on the offensive line.

Essex can play both tackle and guard and plans on making it a battle this year.
Im coming in with the mindset that Im going to compete my tail off, said Essex. Im going to make the decision very hard. Im going to make it hard for them not to start me.
Essex feels his ability to play either guard or tackle can give him more of a chance to win a spot.

I competed for the starting job (at guard) last year, said Essex. I gave it my best. I just have to try harder this year.
Im happy to be staying in Pittsburgh. This is my home. I feel I have a chance to do something special with the offensive line this year.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: A pair of MVP's at wide receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Trai Essex is hoping that now that he has re-signed with the Steelers he can get to work on the other thing he wants to accomplish this off-season, earning a starting spot on the offensive line.

Essex can play both tackle and guard and plans on making it a battle this year.
Im coming in with the mindset that Im going to compete my tail off, said Essex. Im going to make the decision very hard. Im going to make it hard for them not to start me.
Essex feels his ability to play either guard or tackle can give him more of a chance to win a spot.

I competed for the starting job (at guard) last year, said Essex. I gave it my best. I just have to try harder this year.
Im happy to be staying in Pittsburgh. This is my home. I feel I have a chance to do something special with the offensive line this year.

A little time in the weight room might help the blubbernaught's quest. .

Is it just me? Our OLs just don't look like they ever work out. Remember our OLs in the 70s? They were cut. Courson, Kolb, Brown, Iron Mike? They could bench press the team bus.

Look at Silverback. He's absolutely ripped. What is up with these massive blobs on the OL?

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

If Santo was a free agent this year coming off a super bowl MVP performance, I believe Al Davis would pay One hundred BILLION dollars for him.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Is it just me? Our OLs just don't look like they ever work out. Remember our OLs in the 70s? They were cut. Courson, Kolb, Brown, Iron Mike? They could bench press the team bus.
They were also on roids....allegedly.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

all the more reason I believe that Sweed will improve this season. he has 2 guys to study from and learn from and keep him focussed on improving himself.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Give It To Abercrombie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
all the more reason I believe that Sweed will improve this season. he has 2 guys to study from and learn from and keep him focussed on improving himself.
These two guys?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i wonder if having 2 superbowl mvp's as wr's would help the nfl consider them as a good pair of wr's

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i wonder if having 2 superbowl mvp's as wr's would help the nfl consider them as a good pair of wr's
Now now now, stop being Silly....we don't have elite receivers...never have...never will...didn't you get the memo?

You can only talk about our running game and defense. Mentioning anything else is likely to get you black listed from being an NFL fan.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

We have a running game? It's all about the defense bro.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I wonder if James Harrison is on the roids since he is so stacked? I doubt it, cause you cant get away with that in the NFL now'a days. You can build alot of muscle and look like Harrison without doing steroids. I have a pretty good friend that stands about 6'1 260 lbs or so and the guy is the biggest guy I have personally ever seen, and I guarentee you he Aint on the Roids..
I am one of the ones that still consider the Steelers as a run first team, but I am not blind to see that we have a Very Good set of WR's, they are Not Awesomely Great like Jerry Rice or Tim Brown, but they are Very Good recievers that I love very much being on our team. Oh Yeah... Defense Still Wins Super Bowls.. no doubt in my mind