Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Tomlin believes in rivalry

Steelers' Tomlin believes in rivalry
http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/41869702.html

By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sports columnist

POSTED: 10:56 p.m. EDT, Mar 25, 2009

DANA POINT, CALIF.: Mike Tomlin gets it.

Tomlin understands what it means to coach in Pittsburgh, to coach against the Browns, and to coach in a rivalry.

''I'm not looking for any friends in Cleveland, Ohio,'' Tomlin said this week at the NFL's annual meetings.

The statement came when Tomlin was asked to explain a comment the day after the Steelers won the Super Bowl. When a reporter from Cleveland introduced himself to ask a question, Tomlin chuckled and said: ''Cleveland?''

Then he laughed again.

Tomlin said he was playing off the reporter's tone, though the reporter (Tony Grossi of the Plain Dealer) said he merely introduced himself.

Tomlin probably doesn't care.

He understands there is a rivalry with the Browns, and he's not afraid to be the enemy. In the past few years, some Browns players and coaches have shunned talk of a rivalry, calling it a game like any other.

''History speaks for itself,'' Tomlin said. ''The proximity of the two cities, the desire for greatness, the unbridled fan support in both spots it makes for a great rivalry.

''When you sit in the position that I'm in, it's something that you anticipate and embrace, the fact that you're not going to be a celebrated guy in that city.

''I think the same bodes for coach [Eric] Mangini in Pittsburgh. It's part of it.

''It's something you embrace, and you might as well embrace it as opposed to fight it.''

The Steelers have dominated the games recently, but that does not matter to Tomlin.

''It will always be a rivalry regardless of the recent history,'' he said. ''Our rear view is very small, our windshield is very big.''

The continuity with the Steelers is something that has helped the rivalry. Guys like Hines Ward and James Farrior have been Steelers for years. They understand the game.

The Browns continue to turn over their roster, and now look to 2009 with 10 new free agents and several new draft picks few of whom have been around the rivalry.

But one thing that might help is that Browns coach Eric Mangini understands the game.

''It's a special game,'' Mangini said. ''Everybody's aware of that. I'm aware of that. There's no way you can't not be aware of it, that you don't appreciate the tradition, the uniqueness of it.''

Clearly the elements are back in place to revive the rivalry if the Browns and Mangini can find a way to win one of the stinking games.

(Note rest of the article is about the stinking Browns. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin believes in rivalry

I don't see where it is a rivalry any longer we have owned them for years.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I think the Steelers/Browns are still somewhat of a rivalry as both teams seem to dislike each other intensely, but our biggest rival in the AFCN is the Purple Pric ks.

We've owned the Browns for years, but I still get just a tad pumped up when we play them. We've beaten the Rats 4 out of the last 5 games we've played against them, so they're well on their way to being our bitches too.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I think the Steelers/Browns are still somewhat of a rivalry as both teams seem to dislike each other intensely, but our biggest rival in the AFCN is the Purple Pric ks.

We've owned the Browns for years, but I still get just a tad pumped up when we play them. We've beaten the Rats 4 out of the last 5 games we've played against them, so they're well on their way to being our bitches too.

I kinda feel like you, I don't get all pumped about playing the Browns nearly as much as the Ravens.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824

The NFL and most of the teams in it tend to run in cycles. The FO in Cleveland hasn't been the best over the last decade so the team hasn't been consistent, but a day will come when they aren't a doormat and even if a lot of their players might not be used to the rivalry their fans surely are. Tomlin's got the right idea, the Browns are a rivalry team for, even if they don't bring much to the table currently. Don't let up on them cause they will be back at some point. We have to remember how very unique the consistency of our organization is. We've had losing seasons and short spans of time when we didn't make the playoffs, but we've never fallen to the point that we were among the bottom of the league. The only real comparisons to our organization in professional sports are the Dallas Cowboys (and THEY have spent time at the bottom of the barrel) and the New York Yankees (who never hesitate to buy up all the talent they need to win). We are truly the class of the league. 24 playoff appearances since the start of the Superbowl...only Dallas has more.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

well it is hard for fans to get up for a game when the browns are not very good...

but i think mangini could make it a somewhat of a rivalry again

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

"..... the only thing bad about the Turnpike is.....

..... that it takes you to Cleveland!!!!!"

~ Myron Cope, 1972 ~
Old 03-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

It is still a rivalry to me, I hate the Browns, and hate there fans even worse. And Baltimore sux also.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
It is still a rivalry to me, I hate the Browns, and hate there fans even worse. And Baltimore sux also.
I'm with you, I got a big heart, and plenty of room in that big heart for a deep hatred of plenty of teams and rivalries. Baltimore, Cleveland, Dallas, growing for the Patsies - and even a small part for the Raiders that just won't go away after almost 30 years.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
I'm with you, I got a big heart, and plenty of room in that big heart for a deep hatred of plenty of teams and rivalries. Baltimore, Cleveland, Dallas, growing for the Patsies - and even a small part for the Raiders that just won't go away after almost 30 years.
..... for the younger members of this Forum, whom weren't around in the early/mid 1970's, you have NO-idea of how heated that rivalry really was.....
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote