Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers hoop team visiting SSA

http://www.yourfoxchapel.com/herald/...m-visiting-ssa
Steelers hoop team visiting SSA
by Tawnya Panizzi
Staff Writer
March 26, 2009

Organizers of a Shady Side Academy fundraiser are hoping that the thrill of the Steelers Super Bowl victory will be reignited next week when members of the Steel Curtain take on staff and students -- on the basketball court.

Fans will have a chance to see their favorite player up close when the Pittsburgh Steelers Basketball team plays SSA faculty, coaches and students at 8 p.m. April 2 at the Mellon Gym, on the Fox Chapel campus.

The Steelers team consists of current and former team members, but just who makes the roster on any given night is a tightly-kept secret.

"We won't know until that night," said Judy Hannon, coordinator for the special event. "We've been trying to lobby for a big name."

The fundraiser benefits the school's baseball boosters and money will be used to defray costs of a trip to spring training in Florida, as well as other annual events such as the team picnic and banquet. After having tried to get on the schedule for the intensely-popular Steelers basketball team, Hannon scored big this year since excitement still lingers from the team's championship win against Arizona last month.

Coordinators are hoping to capitalize on fans' fervor and raise big bucks for the baseball team.

"There's a lot of excitement already," Hannon said. "It's really popular. You have to call right at the beginning of January to get on the schedule."

The Steelers Basketball team was founded in the mid-1960s and has been a fan favorite since. Players sport an impressive record for their off-season sport, with the Steelers almost always claiming a victory, coordinators said.

Members of the team are available at halftime to sign autographs, a highlight of the event.

Tickets cost $10. They are available through the school's athletic department at 412-968-3000 or through the baseball boosters at 412-427-4625.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Guttpuppy
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9534
Default Re: Steelers hoop team visiting SSA

Awesome, the reason I'm a Steeler fan... apparently they've done this for years.

Story. When my Mom first hooked up with my Dad, he played semi-pro football. She would go to his games and didn't really understand what was going on so she started watching the NFL on Sundays to "learn" the game. This was the early 70's and she ended up meeting some Steeler players at one of these charity B-ball games. That was it, she has been a Steelers fan since... I soon followed at 5 or 6 years old. She's now 70couple and rockin' Troy's jersey as she goes crazy everytime our boys are on.

Anyways... I've met Mark Malone at one of these functions years ago, seen him dunk a few times. Tunch was there that day too... Recently, I've seen them in Carlisle Pa., Bus was supposed to be there but he was a no-show. Met Poteat that day(shoulda beat his little ass up then) and Huntley wanted to take my girl to the club... haha, she said "he must be trippin'"

Good to see them still throwing it out there for charity, I'll check'em out if they get close.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312
Default Re: Steelers hoop team visiting SSA

I was there was like an official website listing where/when they play. I know over the years they've come to where i live in Ohio...and a lot of the times i find out AFTER the game. Their basketball games are usually quite fun plus you get to meet the players/get autographs!
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote