Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default The NFL is in trouble without Dan Rooney

]The NFL is in trouble without Dan Rooney and Gene Upshaw running these CBA negotiations.

From Peter King's Monday Morning QB
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

LOS ANGELES -- Leftovers from an all-business annual NFL meetings, with some news about an event to help the good Dr. Z heal thyself ... and with 26 days before the draft, what would MMQB be without a nugget or two about the fate of the Lions at No. 1:

The NFL is in trouble without Dan Rooney and Gene Upshaw running these CBA negotiations.

Two scenes from the league meetings I'll remember for a while:

Tuesday night, Mozambique restaurant, Laguna Beach, Calif.: Every year at the meetings, the Rooney family invites a select group of Steelers club officials, league officials and media to dinner in a private room. It's a low-key affair with a toast, stories and an early exit because this isn't a wild crowd; everyone wants to be up early the next day.

A few of the guests christened this one "The Last Supper'' because Rooney has been nominated by President Obama to be the next U.S. Ambassador to Ireland. At one table, Roger Goodell and wife, Jane Skinner, sat across from Rooney and his wife, Pat. "Dan, I'm going to miss those 9 a.m. phone calls,'' Goodell said, referring to the agenda-setting advisory phone calls Rooney's been making to Goodell every weekday for the past 20 months, since he took the reins as commissioner. Rooney has been Goodell's mentor, his bench coach.

Wednesday afternoon, outside the meeting room at the Dana Point, Calif., hotel where the NFL was about to adjourn. Rooney took out his cell phone and played a message he'd kept from the late Upshaw for three years, a message that was meaningful to him because it conveyed the art of the deal and the mutual trust the two men had. I listened, and there was Upshaw talking about what it was going to take to get the deal done, spoken like a man who'd been through this 100 times before.

I'm not saying we're on a collision course for a job action in 2011, though I do think some work stoppage is more likely than not. Goodell is smart, and everyone says DeMaurice Smith, the new head of the NFLPA, is smart, too. But I think Goodell was sorely disappointed when Troy Vincent wasn't elected executive director, because he knew Vincent and felt he could find common ground to make a deal with him. But the player reps elected Smith because they wanted him to take a tough stand with the league and not give anything back in the wake of the owners opting out of the current collective bargaining agreement.

Upshaw died last August. Rooney is all but certain to be confirmed for the Ireland post. So last week, everyone in the league was trying to take the temperature of what it all meant. And no one thought it was good. There's no natural mediator available in the league right now. Surely one can, and probably will, emerge. But will it be one the players know and trust the way many of them trust Rooney, who tries to see their side of the story as clearly as he sees the owners' side?

One of the issues in the negotiations will be the amount of debt the owners have built up over the past few years. I'm told the 32 teams owe a combined $8 billion for money they've borrowed for stadium construction and other infrastructure improvements and practice-facility costs. That's about $250 million per team. And the players have always had the attitude -- which I can see too -- that, yes, the owners do have massive debt issues, but at the end of the day, that debt, once it's paid, is going to make the owners' franchises worth all that much more.

The owners are going to have the attitude that they've got this huge debt service per year, and they're incurring this debt service to grow the game, and so this debt has to be taken into account when figuring the total salary cap and salary floor per year. I know it's complicated, but that's the nut issue here. I think Rooney would have been the best man to tell the players that compromise is essential on this issue or there's not going to be a deal.

There was talk at the meetings that Rooney would still be a big factor in the negotiations. But I'm told if Rooney is approved, he's going to be more than just a glad-handing diplomat; he's actually going to live primarily in Ireland (many ambassadors split time nearly equally between America and their posts) and devote his time to the job. In his absence, I think Rooney will be available to advise the league, but Goodell's going to need another Kissinger to be a shuttle diplomat between owners and players.

Maybe it'll be New England owner Bob Kraft. I think it's a job Kraft would love. Maybe it's Rooney's son and successor with the Steelers, Art Rooney II, a quiet consigliere devoted to the league. It could be Houston owner Bob McNair, an even-tempered deal-maker, or John Mara of the Giants. Kraft has the deal-making power. Art Rooney, McNair and Mara might have the long-haul calm to broker a deal in what could likely be contentious negotiations.

"I'm not willing to say they're going to be contentious,'' Rooney said as the meetings wrapped up. "Difficult, yes, but we have a chance to do a deal that's going to last a long time.''

As for who will become the mediator to replace him, Rooney himself said: "Someone will step up. Someone always steps up.'' That's the hope of this $7-billion-a-year business.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230
Default Re: ]The NFL is in trouble without Dan Rooney

NOOOOOOOOOOOO what did you do Obama?

I hope he does good stuff with Ireland, it's more important than football
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: The NFL is in trouble without Dan Rooney

See Obama has f'd up the NFL now. Way to go America.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

Dan has been around a long...........time ,and has seen more changes than most of us probably ever will.
Just going to Ireland , does not mean he has forsaken the "Steeler Nation" They may need someone with the exact qualities that he possesses , For negotiation purposes of course.
The theory is of course , you can go from down trodden, to become a powerhouse.
How can you argue with that?
The man learned a lot of things from "The Chief " ,people seem to respect his point of view. He does have proof to back him up.
He does not seem to step on toes intentionally , and is willing to hear someone out without butting in, till they are through.
The " Steelers" have a grip on the country , that is currently unmatched.
If politics want to barrow that aproach , Why not?
Dan is the man for the job.
Who knows , one day there may even be a "Steeler Militia " .
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

No offense to Upshaw (RIP) but he was basically an NFL stooge who did just about whatever he was told. Smith will be much more a "players rep" as the head of the union. As far as Vincent vs. Smith, Troy really wanted the job, but concedes that the players are in great shape, and is in no way unhappy that Smith got the gig.

But the NFL will DEFINITELY miss Rooney.

Last edited by revefsreleets; 03-31-2009 at 01:43 PM.
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Dan always saw the big picture when dealing with the other owners. That's what made him great.

I hope now that he is gone, that the other owners can do the same...although, sometimes I wonder.

They better not screw this thing up! IMO, it's the last well run league of the big 4 sports that we have.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote