Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default My first round mock draft

2009 NFL Mock Draft

Round one

1. Detroit Lions – Jason Smith, OL Baylor: A lot of people have the Lions taking QB Matthew Stafford out of Georgia with this pick, but I think the Lions finally have some smart football people in place. What good is a franchise quarterback who will probably end up starting his rookie year if he’s always on his backside? It all starts in the trenches, and I think the Lions new head coach and general manager both realize this.
2. St. Louis Rams – Eugene Monroe, OT Virginia: With the release of former franchise offensive tackle Orlando Pace, it’s time to go back to the future and take Monroe. He would be the cornerstone of the offensive line, the cornerstone of the offense. He would keep Marc Bulger’s jersey clean and open holes for Steven Jackson.
3. Kansas City Chiefs – Aaron Curry, OLB Wake Forest: They started to rebuild their defense last year under Herm Edwards with DT Glenn Dorsey and CB Brandon Flowers. It doesn’t stop this year with a player who will be the dynamic impact player of their linebacker corps for the next seven-to-ten years.
4. Seattle Seahawks – Michael Crabtree, WR Texas Tech: While some people have him not going here with the pickup of TJ Houshmandadeh, but part of what made him so good in Cincinnati was the dynamic big play receiver across from him in Chad Ocho Cinco. They don’t have that in Seattle, and Crabtree would bring that dynamic to the offense.
5. Cleveland Browns – Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB Texas: The Browns 3-4 needs a pass rush. While they Browns hoped that Curry was going to be here when they picked, but they go with Orakpo. They have concerns about his ability to stop the run, but they have a big need for his pass rush.
6. Cincinnati Bengals – Andre Smith, OT Alabama: The Bengals lost Carson Palmer for most of last season to an elbow injury. They need to make sure that their franchise QB is protected; therefore they take Smith so play LT on their offensive line. With a stable offensive line, and a healthy Carson Palmer running the show, the Bengals should have their offensive firepower back.
7. Oakland Raiders – Michael Oher, OT Ole Miss: With Crabtree off the board, the Raiders go with Oher to play tackle and help protect JaMarcus Russell. If they want him to grow into the QB he can be, he needs the best protection the Raiders can provide. It helps that head coach Tom Cable was offensive line coach before being named interim head coach and then getting the head coach job after the season.
8. Jacksonville Jaguars – Mathew Stafford, QB Georgia: With the best quarterback in the draft still sitting there, the Jaguars take their QB of the future. David Garrard is a good quarterback, but he is not the future of the franchise. Stafford would be given the opportunity to sit and watch for a season behind Garrard unlike in Detroit where he would end up playing if not right away, not long into the season.
9. Green Bay Packers – Malcolm Jenkins, CB Ohio State: While they have two excellent cornerbacks, neither is getting any younger. Jenkins plays the same physical style of cornerback which is perfect for the 3-4, and he can step in as a nickel back his rookie season.
10. San Francisco 49ers – BJ Raji, DT Boston College: A stud nose tackle for the defense of the 49ers would make a huge difference. Raji can collapse the pocket and stuff the run. He would be the real missing piece in their 3-4 defense.
11. Buffalo Bills – Everette Brown, DE Florida State: While he may not be great against the run, his job in Buffalo will be to rush the passer.
12. Denver Broncos – Rey Maualuga, MLB Southern California: With the switch to the 3-4 defense in Denver, they need the right players. Maualuga will be a Ray Lewis type of big play ILB with the Broncos, underneath defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.
13. Washington Redskins – William Moore, S Missouri: The Redskins are still looking for a saftey tandem like what they had with Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry. Chris Horton is good, but Moore would be a big upgrade to their defensive secondary. With all the stud tackles gone, this pick is best for the ‘Skins without being a huge reach for a tackle like William Beatty.
14. New Orleans Saints – Vontae Davis, CB Illinois: Their offense is basically fine; their biggest problem is on defense, specifically the defensive backfield. Davis would give the Saints a cornerback who can be left alone on an island. If their defensive ends can get a pass rush, which they should be able to, then Davis would become a big play cornerback.
15. Houston Texans – Brian Cushing, OLB Southern California: The Texans have many pieces of their defense in place. Cushing is a versatile OLB who can rush the passer, cover receivers/tight ends, and stuff the run. He’d be perfect next to DeMeco Ryans.
16. San Diego Chargers – Tyson Jackson, DE Louisiana State: Jackson is a perfect fit for 3-4 DE and will step right in as the replacement for Igor Olshansky, who defected to the Dallas Cowboys.
17. New York Jets – Mark Sanchez, QB Southern California: With the loss of Brett Favre to retirement, the Jets don’t really have an answer at quarterback. If Sanchez falls to them, they’ll take him in a heartbeat. He could also start right away in their offense.
18. Chicago Bears – Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR Maryland: The Bears have a few needs, but they can change the dynamic of their offense with a big-play receiver and Heyward-Bey would do that for them. Kyle Orton may not be Peyton Manning, but with a receiver like Heyward-Bey to throw to, he would get a lot of help.
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Peria Jerry, DT Ole Miss: While the Buccaneers can go in quite a few directions, it may be best for them to go defensive tackle. Jerry can penetrate the pocket and be a big-play defensive force right away. They had trouble stopping the run late in the season and Jerry would be a great fit in a division that likes to run the football.
20. Detroit Lions – Aaron Maybin, DE Penn State: With both of the top quarterbacks off the board, the Lions decide to go defense with this pick and take Maybin, who can rush the passer and be a force in the NFC North where the quarterbacks aren’t the most mobile in the NFL.
21. Philadelphia Eagles – Chris Wells, RB Ohio State: The Eagles lost Correll Buckhalter in free agency this offseason, Wells is a great fit. He and Westbrook would be a good 1-2 punch on the Eagles offense.
22. Minnesota Vikings – Max Unger, OL Oregon: Unger is probably the most versatile offensive linemen in the draft. He can play any position on the line. He will challenge for the open center position since the Vikings lost Birk to the Ravens. He could also kick out to the tackle position if he doesn’t get the center spot.
23. New England Patriots – Clay Matthews, OLB Southern California: Mathews is a very good OLB and plays a lot like the guy they just traded to the Chiefs, Mike Vrabel. He’s versatile and smart player, the kind that head coach Bill Bellichick likes. He would also fit the youth overhaul the Patriots are working on with their defense.
24. Atlanta Falcons – James Laurinaitis, LB Ohio State: Last year the Falcons went offense in the first round with the picks of QB Matt Ryan and LT Sam Baker. This year they go defense and take the BPA in middle linebacker Laurinaitis, who is a sure tackler and will be an excellent player because he can play the run and the pass.
25. Miami Dolphins – Clint Sintim, OLB Virginia: A very balanced OLB he can play both the pass and the run. He’ll be a productive player for the Dolphins, and is a Parcells type of player.
26. Baltimore Ravens – Kenny Britt, WR Rutgers: While Percy Harvin is a speedster, he’s a bit of an injury concern. So the Ravens go with Britt, a big target for QB Joe Flacco. He’s fast and showed he can be a big-play receiver last season.
27. Indianapolis Colts – Evander Hood, DT Missouri: The Colts defense is soft up the middle, drafting Hood would help fix that problem. He’s a good athlete that can make a big impact on their defense.
28. Philadephia Eagles – Brandon Pettigrew, TE Oklahoma State: He would help the passing game even more, plus he’s a good blocker. Huge upgrade over current tight end, Brent Celek.
29. New York Giants – Hakeem Nicks, WR North Carolina: Even though they have asked the Browns about the availability of Braylon Edwards, the Brown’s price might be to high. And not knowing what will happen with Plaxico Burress, they need a new wideout to at least be a solid number two option for Eli Manning. He’s a big play receiver who would do well in the Giants offense, especially if Burress avoids jailtime and a season-long suspension.
30. Tennessee Titans – Percy Harvin, WR Florida: The Titans finally take a wide receiver in the first round with Harvin. He isn’t quite as polished as they would like, but he’s a burner who will help stretch the field for Tennessee.
31. Arizona Cardinals – Knowshon Moreno, RB Georgia: Edgerrin James wants out, and he’s running out of gas anyhow. Tim Hightower is a good back, but doesn’t seem to be an every-down back. Moreno is a perfect fit, especially in a dual-back attack with Hightower.
32. Pittsburgh Steelers – Alex Mack, C/G Cal: The Super Bowl Champion Steelers need help with the offensive line. Mack can come in and play center or take the right guard spot and then play center the next year. No matter where he plays, he’ll upgrade the line and protect Ben Roethlisberger.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049
Default Re: My first round mock draft

Chris Horton is a BEAST. I'm sorry, but there is no way they take a safety at 13. They need DE or OL help bad. I could see them trading down but I see Tyson Jackson going there.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

I dont think we will see a first round that has William Moore taken in the top 15 and no Jeremy Maclin taken at all.

I like the Jacksonville pick. Taking Stafford is not a possibility that i had ever considered but it has merit. I also like Jackson to San Diego.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I dont think we will see a first round that has William Moore taken in the top 15 and no Jeremy Maclin taken at all.

I like the Jacksonville pick. Taking Stafford is not a possibility that i had ever considered but it has merit. I also like Jackson to San Diego.
I don't! Just because I don't want to see their D- get better!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277

i think the seahawks take stafford and the bengals take crabtree
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Have you heard of somebody named Jeremy Maclin, WR from Missouri? The order of which the WRs go is completely wrong also you say that they Redskins don't reach for a tackle yet you say they reach for a safety. William Moore is a 2nd-3rd round pick.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote