Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #311
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
Huntington hasnt given me any reason to doubt him yet, for the short time he has been here he has really improved this team. Huntington has said that money is no object once again and that they will be going BPA, which i can see that being Alex White or Aaron Crow. Even though id rather us go Kyle Gibson but his stock has dropped with arm stifness during the Regionals. I wont go into all the draft talk while we are talking about this.

I agree with everything that article has to say. I know its been hard, the last time the Pirates had a winning season i was four years old. This management has really given me hope and has re-energized my love for baseball that i had when i was a kid growing up. We got to give THIS management a little more time they have gotten us a lot farther to the point that we are only 6.5 games back this deep in the season. Sad as it is, this is the furtherst into the season that we are this close to .500 that i can remember. If we can pick things up after the all-star break like we usually do, we may finish right around the .500 spot.

And i really believe that right now the Washington Nationals are a even bigger joke than we are. Ownership has NO idea what there are doing, they fined a guy for showing up late to warm ups cause he was at a charity event that his team was sponsoring. they couldnt even get people to fill in for a game where somebody (according to a lot, the last) ended winning his 300th career win. give them time they will be a bigger joke than us
Yea I just did some research and saw Grant Green. I wouldn't mind us taking him. He is a SS which we need help at.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #312
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

McCutchen isn't playing bad at all, decent but not bad. Two R.B.I's today.The LaRoche brothers played great today! Moss also had a great game along with Wilson, great team effort today!

Pirates record: 26-29, 3 games under .500. Let's go Bucs!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #313
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

At least the Pirates are giving me a reason to break my cheek bones because they played well.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #314
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Yea I just did some research and saw Grant Green. I wouldn't mind us taking him. He is a SS which we need help at.
We havent had a shortstop in the system really step up and say that he wants the job after Jack is gone. If we needed someone right now to take Jack's spot, it would be Brian Bixler even though he really hasnt impressed in the majors. I think in the near future (next year) Brian Friday could be the answer at short or until Jordy Mercer is ready which could be a couple of years.

Either way, i dont think that we need to take a shortstop at 4. I dont think Green is even top 5 material anymore, he commited 18 errors i think it was. I think with our pick at 4 we go pitcher, this draft is really deep in pitchers and this year we have a couple of pitchers that we could go and get solid top of the rotation pitcher, something that we lack.

This is how i think that our first three picks should go (we get a draft pick in the 'sandwich' round for not signing Tanner Scheppers.

Round 1 (4 overall)- Pitcher- Aaron Crow, Alex White, Mike Minor or stretch and take the best high school arm Matt Purke.

Round 1a (not sure the overall but its in between 1 and 2)- Top Catcher available, Kendal Volz Starter/Closer Baylor

Round 2- Ben Paulsen or Rich Poythress both are power hitting first baseman. The knock on Poythress is that he is really one-dimensional and his bat speed isnt that great so his power numbers may not translate to the majors (Brad Eldred).
Old 06-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #315
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburghfan View Post
I was just going on my daily run through the sports websites I go through, and I found this. Bryce Harper, this kid is only 16 and still has a few years before his draft year. Watch this video and I would love for the Bucs to draft him in a couple years. We could be at 18+ losing seasons by then ( Maybe I thought wrong) this kid could be the savior of this franchise if we are still terrible.

His parents are thinking about taking him out of school, getting him his GED and getting him into Indepent League Baseball to face tougher competition. If they do that he can be eligilble for the draft next season. Which would mean the Nationals would get yet another turn the franchise around players. I honestly dont see us making a run at Harper, unless we take a huge step back this year (or completly fall apart next season), Which i dont think will happen.

I just hope that whoever gets him doesnt rush him and lets him play in the minors. Hope the Nats are smart and dont bring Strasburg straight to the majors too (if Harper comes out next year, then it will probably be the Nationals who get him too).

Nationals could be the Baseball version of the Penguins. They become good by ways of always picking at the top of the draft- being lucky enough to be that bad at the right time. The Nationals are in place to make a big turn around, they got the rights to Strasburg, another pick in the top 10 this year and then quite possibly the first pick next year.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #316
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
McCutchen isn't playing bad at all, decent but not bad. Two R.B.I's today.The LaRoche brothers played great today! Moss also had a great game along with Wilson, great team effort today!

Pirates record: 26-29, 3 games under .500. Let's go Bucs!
Man, talk about a koolaid drinker. The Pirates' ownership definitely love you!
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #317
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

McLouth is having a really good day against his old team. 3 hits, home run, stolen base and two runs.

McCutchen has answered with two hits, one a triple and two runs

Edit- Add ANOTHER triple and a RBI. Guy has some serious speed, was into third before the ball made it back to the infield. If Franceour doesnt have the arm he does, he might score. He actually almost outran Eric Hinske

Last edited by pittsburghp8baller; 06-08-2009 at 08:17 PM.
pittsburghp8baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #318
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

well, we are about 2 hours away from the draft and all reports are that we are about to make a extreme blunder with our first pick.

all reports say that we are in talks and will take Tony Sanchez, a catcher out of Boston College. While i know catcher is a need Sanchez is a HUGE reach at 4. This draft is deep in catchers with a lot of upside, but no one is really a sure thing. With so many top end pitchers available at 4 i dont see how we dont take one then and wait to draft a catcher.

The guy it seemed we were gonna take has now said that he wants a major league contract, some say its a way for him to drop to a certain team but he is probably, outside of Strasburg, the most MLB ready pitcher. So if we are willing to give out a MLB contract two years in a row, i say go for it. it will be a lot better than taking Sanchez.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #319
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
well, we are about 2 hours away from the draft and all reports are that we are about to make a extreme blunder with our first pick.

all reports say that we are in talks and will take Tony Sanchez, a catcher out of Boston College. While i know catcher is a need Sanchez is a HUGE reach at 4. This draft is deep in catchers with a lot of upside, but no one is really a sure thing. With so many top end pitchers available at 4 i dont see how we dont take one then and wait to draft a catcher.

The guy it seemed we were gonna take has now said that he wants a major league contract, some say its a way for him to drop to a certain team but he is probably, outside of Strasburg, the most MLB ready pitcher. So if we are willing to give out a MLB contract two years in a row, i say go for it. it will be a lot better than taking Sanchez.
Where'd you see that?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #320
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
Where'd you see that?
mlb.com

everyone has figuered that Aaron Crow would be our pick but with him wanting a MLB contract (possibly so he can drop to a certain team, maybe us, who knows).

Tony Sanchez is a solid choice, but is no where worth a top 5 pick. i saw us taking a catcher with our 'sandwich' round pick, go pitcher with 4 and then Ben Paulsen or Rich Porythress (i think thats the right spelling, if it is first time i got it right without looking it up) in the second