Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #31
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
The game was blacked out, and I was certainly more interested in the Penguins game tonight.

I did start listening to it in the 6th, but it was already a done deal by then.

I hate to judge too much off of box scores, but...

Ian Snell: 4.0 IP 9 hits 8 runs only (only...) 6 earned

Two days ago the Tribune Review cited an "informal poll" where Andy LaRoche was the most expected breakout player.

0-6 with a walk, a K, and a run. Throw in 3 fielding errors. Egads.

Tonight's fielding faux pas led to 2 runs which didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

I'm hardly doomsdaying after tonight's whomping, but I would love to see him get something going here in the first few weeks. The dude has to realize that he won't see August if he doesn't do some serious eye opening.

Promising in the minors... promising spring...

Prove me wrong, Andy!
he is there until management feels that either Neil Walker or Pedro Alvarez are ready to see major league at-bats. Now with how bad the season has started for him, im worried they may have to rush one of them. Its still jus two games in, and the baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint, just because you stumble out of the gates doesnt mean you are out of the race. Most players on the Pirates are proven slow starters, all we have to do is stay in the mix. There isnt really any players that i can see us trading away at the deadline so we are in it for the long haul.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #32
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

great start to game 3! 5-1 in the middle of the fourth, 10 hits for the pirates!

duke is looking good too
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #33
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

another win for the Pirates tonight! great game all around, Duke pitched real strong all night. When he did get into jams pitched into a couple of double plays.

And 17 hits from the offense tonight! that's right 17!!! Moss, Sanchez and Jack Wilson looked real good and McLouth got his first hit which happened to be a home run

2-1 with the series finale tommorrow!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #34
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I watched last night's game at McFadden's, and didn't get a chance to really scrutinize what was going on, but Duke looked steady enough. When the offense is belting about 20 hits a game, the pitching SHOULD be able to hold up enough

With that said...

Quote:
The Bucs were held hitless through 6 2/3 innings Thursday, and even Ramon Vazquez's big base knock in the seventh and unearned run in the third couldn't undo a late St. Louis rally as Pittsburgh fell in the finale. Ross Ohlendorf lasted six-plus frames in what was a stellar start.
"That's all we got, one goddamn hit?"
"You can't say 'goddamn' on the air."
"Don't worry, nobody is listening anyway."

One step forward... two back.

Three very respectable starts from the rotation, however.

If we can get the lumber rolling like it was last year, this may be a much more respectable season then most expect.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #35
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
I watched last night's game at McFadden's, and didn't get a chance to really scrutinize what was going on, but Duke looked steady enough. When the offense is belting about 20 hits a game, the pitching SHOULD be able to hold up enough

With that said...

"That's all we got, one goddamn hit?"
"You can't say 'goddamn' on the air."
"Don't worry, nobody is listening anyway."

One step forward... two back.

Three very respectable starts from the rotation, however.
If we can get the lumber rolling like it was last year, this may be a much more respectable season then most expect.

id have to say four respectable starts. Ohlendorf pitched real good, good enough not to get a loss. The reason we lost was because we only got one hit, which actually didnt come till after we got our only run.

Ohlendorf was left out there about an inning to long, he actually came out with the ball game tied but with runners on. The bullpen couldnt help him out and gave up like 3 or 4 straight hits.

the fact is, other than Maholm, our starters are probably gonna be giving up around 3 or 4 runs a game so we are def gonna need more than a hit from their offense. they are def gonna need to be more discipline, they were chasing way to many outside of the zone
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #36
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

I totally agree with you, Baller. I think Ohlendorf did just fine.

When I said that 3 out of 4 starts were respectable, I meant to suggest that Snell was the one that didn't step it up.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #37
steelersfanman92
Starter

Member Number: 3372

Andrew McCutchen is off to a strong start in AAA Indianapolis, his first at bat of the season he hit a triple, which he later scored on. He also has a double ,2 singles and an RBI and is hitting .500 in his first two games. One of the areas that they want him to improve on is base stealling and right now he is 1 for 1.

The team is 0-2 right now and pitching is a weakness (isn't that a surprise...) the pitching staff as a whole has a 9.50 ERA .
Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #38
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
I totally agree with you, Baller. I think Ohlendorf did just fine.

When I said that 3 out of 4 starts were respectable, I meant to suggest that Snell was the one that didn't step it up.
yea i just thought of that and came on here to say that i forgot about snell. that was the only one of the four i didnt watch.

Any word on who they are gonna pitch today? today was suppose to be Maholm's day but with the postponed game they still need to get Karstens out there for a game.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #39
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfanman92 View Post
Andrew McCutchen is off to a strong start in AAA Indianapolis, his first at bat of the season he hit a triple, which he later scored on. He also has a double ,2 singles and an RBI and is hitting .500 in his first two games. One of the areas that they want him to improve on is base stealling and right now he is 1 for 1.

The team is 0-2 right now and pitching is a weakness (isn't that a surprise...) the pitching staff as a whole has a 9.50 ERA .
Thats good news from McCutchen, every1 assumes he is major league ready but we are holding him in the minors to delay arbitration by a year. Thats not to surpising about the pitching staff in AAA, all of our top pitching prospects are moslty in AA, and some in High A.

Speaking of High A, Pedro Alvarez has a Home Run and SIX RBIs in just two games, he managed two RBIs last night without even getting a hit. The Hillcats are 2-0 and last night Justin Wilson got the win, he was the winning pitcher for Fresno State in the College World Series Championship game.

AA is 0-3, which isnt good considering most of our other high prospects are there. Brian Friday has looked the best, along with Jim Negrych and Jose Tabata. Pitching looks to be getting roughed up as well.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #40
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
yea i just thought of that and came on here to say that i forgot about snell. that was the only one of the four i didnt watch.
Lord knows I've tried to forget about Snell's first outing...

Today's game was a beautiful combination of everything.

Nice offensive efficiency. If they turn over 80% of their hits into runs this season, they may just stand a chance.

Maholm looked awesome again. I'm nervous that a member of this rotation may ACTUALLY put together back-to-back strong seasons.

Don't worry... I'm knocking on wood.

Let's see if they can get a mini-sweep tomorrow.

LAROCHE WATCH: LaRoche the Younger is now 0-12, but didn't hand the opposition any runs with the glove.