Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 07-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #451
Pittsburghfan
Banned

Member Number: 5129
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Along with the Marlins still trying to get Matt Capps.
Pittsburghfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #452
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I predict that by the end of this month, Capps, Grabow, LaRoche the Elder and Sanchez will all be gone. They can get a bag of used sunflower seed shells for Grabow and LaRoche and I'd say it's a good deal. Capps would be a tough one to swallow, but they bought Joel Hanrahan here to ultimately be the closer. Why else would they ask for him in the Morgan trade? Sanchez is 32 and is probably at the peak of his career and value - they should fetch something decent for him, provided that a major-league ready second baseman is part of the deal. Thinking about the lineup on August 1, I suspect that most of them will be rookies or 2nd-year players, with the exceptions of Jack Wilson and Ryan Doumit.

Bottom line, the Pirates' brass is shooting for 2011. That has been the plan all along. It's frustrating and I'm skeptical as hell that it will end up working, but that's where we are. We can either get behind it or go root for the Red Sox. Take your pick.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #453
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Well i got the tickets in today, my dad and i are going to the Altoona/Bowie Saturday. Get to see Jose Tabata, Gorkys Hernandez, hopefully Pedro Alvarez and the probable pitcher is Daniel Moskos.

im not sure if Alvarez is playing because he is in the Future Star's Game the next day, so unless he plans on playing the game, getting on a plane that night fly to St. Louis for a game the next day i dont he would play today. I guess it would depend on what time the game is sunday. Brad Lincoln is also slated to play in the game on sunday too.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #454
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I predict that by the end of this month, Capps, Grabow, LaRoche the Elder and Sanchez will all be gone. They can get a bag of used sunflower seed shells for Grabow and LaRoche and I'd say it's a good deal. Capps would be a tough one to swallow, but they bought Joel Hanrahan here to ultimately be the closer. Why else would they ask for him in the Morgan trade? Sanchez is 32 and is probably at the peak of his career and value - they should fetch something decent for him, provided that a major-league ready second baseman is part of the deal. Thinking about the lineup on August 1, I suspect that most of them will be rookies or 2nd-year players, with the exceptions of Jack Wilson and Ryan Doumit.

Bottom line, the Pirates' brass is shooting for 2011. That has been the plan all along. It's frustrating and I'm skeptical as hell that it will end up working, but that's where we are. We can either get behind it or go root for the Red Sox. Take your pick.
No one is going to want Capps after how pitiful he did tonight. He absolutely needs a swift kick in the butt. There is NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for what this team has done tonight.

Right now I am about ready to call for the FIRE JOHN RUSSEL train. He KNEW that Capps wasn't getting it done. Yes you ran the risk of having an under prepared Pitcher coming into the game, but I'd much rather see that this team went down swinging. This in my opinion is the biggest choke job since Sid Bream's slide across homeplate.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #455
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
No one is going to want Capps after how pitiful he did tonight. He absolutely needs a swift kick in the butt. There is NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for what this team has done tonight.

Right now I am about ready to call for the FIRE JOHN RUSSEL train. He KNEW that Capps wasn't getting it done. Yes you ran the risk of having an under prepared Pitcher coming into the game, but I'd much rather see that this team went down swinging. This in my opinion is the biggest choke job since Sid Bream's slide across homeplate.
I won't put all the blame on Russell. The guy who deserves most of the blame is the guy on the mound throwing the pitches. Russell should have had someone warming up in the bullpen after Capps walked Rollins and maybe pulled him after he gave up the single to Utley, but still...Capps is the man who blew the lead. When you fall behind hitters, especially to the guys the Phillies throw out there, what do you expect to happen? He had to throw fastballs, the Phils' hitters knew it, and they took full advantage. This was worse than the loss to the Rockies earlier this season that they choked away. Way worse.

Right now, they may as well complete their plan, get rid of all the remaining vets, bring in some more kids and let's move on. Though I don't know how much they'd be able to get for LaRoche the Elder and Capps, since both have shit the bed big time lately.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #456
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
I won't put all the blame on Russell. The guy who deserves most of the blame is the guy on the mound throwing the pitches. Russell should have had someone warming up in the bullpen after Capps walked Rollins and maybe pulled him after he gave up the single to Utley, but still...Capps is the man who blew the lead. When you fall behind hitters, especially to the guys the Phillies throw out there, what do you expect to happen? He had to throw fastballs, the Phils' hitters knew it, and they took full advantage. This was worse than the loss to the Rockies earlier this season that they choked away. Way worse.

Right now, they may as well complete their plan, get rid of all the remaining vets, bring in some more kids and let's move on. Though I don't know how much they'd be able to get for LaRoche the Elder and Capps, since both have shit the bed big time lately.
I don't put it all on him, this is the fault of all 25 players on the roster. The Biggest share goes to those on the field. Russell did as a matter of fact have Hanrahan according to Tim Neverett warming up in the pen, I don't know whenever runners were at the corners that he didn't pull him faster. Sure Hanrahan probably needed more pitches to be ready, but he can finish them on the mound considering they give pitchers more time to make sure they are prepared anyway.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #457
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Well by the way yall were talking, im even more glad that i went to the Curve game tonight. Got to see some of the Pirates stars of tommorrow out there. I even got Brian Friday and Gorkys Hernandez to sign my hat that i had on there. Brian Friday really jumped out at me, and my dad, played extremely well in the field and showed great patience at the plate and even knocked in a run.

Daniel Moskos' pitching line didnt look good, but he was able to get out of jams and when he got in a groove he was real good. I think he can still turn out to be a real solid starter soon.

Great time, got to set front row right next to the Curve dugout, even got to have a small conversation with Brian Friday when i got his autograph.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #458
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I don't put it all on him, this is the fault of all 25 players on the roster. The Biggest share goes to those on the field. Russell did as a matter of fact have Hanrahan according to Tim Neverett warming up in the pen, I don't know whenever runners were at the corners that he didn't pull him faster. Sure Hanrahan probably needed more pitches to be ready, but he can finish them on the mound considering they give pitchers more time to make sure they are prepared anyway.
He did have Hanrahan up, but it wasn't until after Capps gave up the HR to Howard, which by that point was way too late. That's where he deserves blame - Hanrahan should have been up throwing either after he walked Rollins or gave up the long flyout to Victorino.

Ah, it's just been a tough night and a horrible end to a horrible road trip. I'm glad it all ends tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
Well by the way yall were talking, im even more glad that i went to the Curve game tonight. Got to see some of the Pirates stars of tommorrow out there. I even got Brian Friday and Gorkys Hernandez to sign my hat that i had on there. Brian Friday really jumped out at me, and my dad, played extremely well in the field and showed great patience at the plate and even knocked in a run.

Daniel Moskos' pitching line didnt look good, but he was able to get out of jams and when he got in a groove he was real good. I think he can still turn out to be a real solid starter soon.

Great time, got to set front row right next to the Curve dugout, even got to have a small conversation with Brian Friday when i got his autograph.
Good on ya, mate. I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of these guys can do - Hernandez has been on a bit of a streak, and Tabata has been OK since he's been back. I'm not sold at all on Moskos - I thought it was a horrible pick and that he wouldn't amount to anything more than a reliever. I'm still pissed they passed on Matt Wieters in that draft.

At this point, I say bring up all of the kids that have talent - and we do have many. I'm sure they can find a way to win at least 30 games the rest of the season.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #459
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Good on ya, mate. I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of these guys can do - Hernandez has been on a bit of a streak, and Tabata has been OK since he's been back. I'm not sold at all on Moskos - I thought it was a horrible pick and that he wouldn't amount to anything more than a reliever. I'm still pissed they passed on Matt Wieters in that draft.

At this point, I say bring up all of the kids that have talent - and we do have many. I'm sure they can find a way to win at least 30 games the rest of the season.
id would of loved to have taken Matt Wieters, but Tony Sanchez is making it easier to live with. He will probably never be the threat offensively that Wieters is but looks like he is on his way to a solid career maybe sometime next year.

Moskos, we are gonna have to give him more time as he is readjusting to being a starter. Spent most of his time in Clemson as the closer, and this is only his second full season in pro ball. I think he needs to learn how to use a slide step at some points when he is in the stretch cause his stretch takes too long, he had 3 bases stolen on him. His control early in the count is something else he has to work on, when he got ahead he was automatic. His slider is nasty, got some people to chase and take bad swings on it.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #460
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post

Prince George's Stadium is a heck of a ballpark. I went down there to see a game a couple of years ago and the fans down there are friendly and very welcoming. I've got to see those guys a few times and Brian Friday in my opinion is the future of the organization at Shortstop. Anyone who thinks Bixler is better needs to see Friday play. He leaves it all on the field.

Moskos has had his moments, his problem is that he doesn't get enough support on Offense. Anytime I have went to see the team play this year that always seems to get to them.