Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #471
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
he has 4 starts. he has approached 100 pitches in every start except today's game. Against Philly he threw 48 pitches in 1.1 innings. That is too much. It shows he has no command over his pitches, and is not confusing his batters. His pitching has gotten progressively worse in every start.
You do have to consider that he hasn't even been here all year. I can cut him some slack. If it keeps up then I'll start questioning it. As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on Vazquez.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #472
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

Here comes Lincoln in the Futures game.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #473
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...=.jsp&c_id=pit

Yates has Tommy John, here goes the Bucs set up pitcher. Interesting what is going to happen because of this news.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #474
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post

Yates has Tommy John, here goes the Bucs set up pitcher. Interesting what is going to happen because of this news.
Eh, who cares. Yates sucks anyway. I wish him well in his recovery and all...but he sucks. Joel Hanrahan will take over his job.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #475
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

wasnt it fun watching Freddy and Zach play in the All-Star game? Oh wait, never mind that was a load of bull crap
Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #476
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

File this one under "I'll believe it when I see it" and "If it happens, they'll just trade them next week anyway":

Quote:
Bucs talk extensions with Sanchez, Wilson

Club reportedly looking to ink middle infielders to new deals

The Pirates reportedly have approached both members of their double-play combination, shortstop Jack Wilson and second baseman Freddy Sanchez, about multiyear contract extensions in hopes of avoiding trading either one.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported late Thursday night that the club has gone to both of their star middle infielders about long-term deals to keep them in Pittsburgh, knowing that to sign one, they'd likely have to sign both because the two are best friends.

"I'm very excited to possibly continue my career in Pittsburgh, to finish what I've started, and Freddy is going to be a vital piece of any decision I make," Wilson told the Post-Gazette after a post-break workout at PNC Park. "Without Freddy, I think, it would be tough to win without a player like that."

Said Sanchez: "I want to finish my career turning double plays with Jack in a Pirates uniform. If it works out, it would be unbelievable. This is what we've been talking about for a long time."

Wilson, 31, is in the final guaranteed year of a contract that pays him a team-high $7.4 million, with a club option for 2010 worth $8.4 million and a $500,000 buyout. Sanchez, also 31, is making $6.25 million and has a vesting option for $8 million for 2010 if he reaches 600 plate appearance.

The Post-Gazette story said Pirates GM Neal Huntington wouldn't comment directly on the contract status of either player, but made it clear that the club has to look at all options concerning their top two position players.

"Obviously, the easiest thing would be to keep them here," Huntington said. "If we can't do that and we get the right trade, it's something we have to do."
Obviously they want to extend them and try to get them to take less money, which is a good idea. They are the best DP combo in the league...but the are also both over 30. Jack's defense has been sensational this season, but he's not worth $8.4 million. Freddy, as good a hitter he is, isn't worth the $8 million option for next year. If both guys love the city and fans so much, then they'll take the "hometown discount" to stay. I'd say 3-year, $13.2 million or 4-year, $18 million deals for both - I think that's fair. If the Pirates do this, and then DON'T trade them a week later or next year, then I'll give Huntington full kudos. Lying to the fans right now is NOT an option, because if they do, they will certainly lose even the most loyal and die-hard fans among us. I'm expecting the latter, and hoping for the former.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #477
Stang909
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4659

I hate that I can't get Pittsburgh channels even though the next town over gets them. I would have loved to have watched todays games that went 14 innings. Lets see if Jones makes it through the trade deadline.

On Ice or Grass We'll kick your Ass!
Stang909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #478
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang909 View Post
I hate that I can't get Pittsburgh channels even though the next town over gets them. I would have loved to have watched todays games that went 14 innings. Lets see if Jones makes it through the trade deadline.
The Pirates own his rights for 6 years. He isn't going anywhere unless he completely falls apart...which I'm expecting to happen any day now.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #479
pittsburghp8baller
Head Coach
Supporter

Location: In A Place Where There Is No Other Hockey Fans!!!!!!
Member Number: 5365

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
File this one under "I'll believe it when I see it" and "If it happens, they'll just trade them next week anyway":

Obviously they want to extend them and try to get them to take less money, which is a good idea. They are the best DP combo in the league...but the are also both over 30. Jack's defense has been sensational this season, but he's not worth $8.4 million. Freddy, as good a hitter he is, isn't worth the $8 million option for next year. If both guys love the city and fans so much, then they'll take the "hometown discount" to stay. I'd say 3-year, $13.2 million or 4-year, $18 million deals for both - I think that's fair. If the Pirates do this, and then DON'T trade them a week later or next year, then I'll give Huntington full kudos. Lying to the fans right now is NOT an option, because if they do, they will certainly lose even the most loyal and die-hard fans among us. I'm expecting the latter, and hoping for the former.

new article today says both Freddy and Jack rejected the offers and did not send in a counter offer. Not looking good
Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #480
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghp8baller View Post
new article today says both Freddy and Jack rejected the offers and did not send in a counter offer. Not looking good
I actually read it yesterday - both were offered 2-year extensions, $10 million for Freddy and $8 million for Jack. If I were them, I'd have rejected those too because I'd want at least a guaranteed 3rd year with options for a 4th. If they took those offers, they basically would be playing for free in year 2. Sounds to me that they were insulted by the offers and decided not to send in counter-offers, so the Pirates will look to trade them, which I believe was their intention all along. They'll say they "tried to re-sign them," but I won't believe them, because they want to gut the entire major-league roster and play the kids to keep the payroll down to the bare minimum so that they can continue to line their pockets. I hope they enjoy seeing 6,000 fans per game next year and their season ticket rolls drop by at least 50%. I know I'm not renewing mine. No more money until they show signs of at least attempting to win.