Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #481
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I actually read it yesterday - both were offered 2-year extensions, $10 million for Freddy and $8 million for Jack. If I were them, I'd have rejected those too because I'd want at least a guaranteed 3rd year with options for a 4th. If they took those offers, they basically would be playing for free in year 2. Sounds to me that they were insulted by the offers and decided not to send in counter-offers, so the Pirates will look to trade them, which I believe was their intention all along. They'll say they "tried to re-sign them," but I won't believe them, because they want to gut the entire major-league roster and play the kids to keep the payroll down to the bare minimum so that they can continue to line their pockets. I hope they enjoy seeing 6,000 fans per game next year and their season ticket rolls drop by at least 50%. I know I'm not renewing mine. No more money until they show signs of at least attempting to win.
The Pirates arent going to win with Freddy and Jack, so the reasonable action to take is to trade them for prospects to replace them, younger bats. Jack and Freddy are over 30 years old, and arent going to contribute much as they are now, and will be in the decline. How would this help the Pirates? And when they get older, who is going to be ready to replace them? Bixler? They need to trade for younger guys.

I think Huntington wants to keep Wilson, but trade Sanchez. Wilson wont get much in return, but Sanchez has some value and could bring in decent bats.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #482
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
The Pirates arent going to win with Freddy and Jack, so the reasonable action to take is to trade them for prospects to replace them, younger bats. Jack and Freddy are over 30 years old, and arent going to contribute much as they are now, and will be in the decline. How would this help the Pirates? And when they get older, who is going to be ready to replace them? Bixler? They need to trade for younger guys.

I think Huntington wants to keep Wilson, but trade Sanchez. Wilson wont get much in return, but Sanchez has some value and could bring in decent bats.
I understand all that, but I just don't trust management - I can't help but think that all of this is some grand scheme by Bob Nutting to save as much money as he can during the recession. Yes, he has increased the budget for the draft, international scouting and the facility in the Dominican Republic...but this is still Bob Nutting, aka "Bobby Nutjob," and he still has 7 Springs that he needs to keep bankrolling.

Look, I'm willing to give Huntington a chance, and will acknowledge that he has brought in some decent talent in the past year and couple months. But starting next season, I'll be doing it from the comfort of my living room. It doesn't mean I don't support the team, just that I'm not giving Nutjob any more of my money for season tickets until I see results on the field. We've been down this road before only to be disappointed and have to suffer through yet another re-building phase. I want to see some winning baseball, period.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #483
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post

The Pirates have Brian Friday in the system. He currently though is at AA Altoona. He bats .256 with 7 HRs and 26 RBIs. He still needs a year or so, but he's not bad for a guy who is 24. Otherwise, not much in the system. Bixler has some of the worst base running skills I have ever seen. Luis Cruz is the only other guy who is in Indy right now who might have a decent chance to be an everyday starter.

Huntington should only trade Wilson if he's going to get a MLB ready shortstop in return, otherwise keep him. Same goes for Sanchez. The Next best 2B is batting .179.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #484
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
The Pirates have Brian Friday in the system. He currently though is at AA Altoona. He bats .256 with 7 HRs and 26 RBIs. He still needs a year or so, but he's not bad for a guy who is 24. Otherwise, not much in the system. Bixler has some of the worst base running skills I have ever seen. Luis Cruz is the only other guy who is in Indy right now who might have a decent chance to be an everyday starter.

Huntington should only trade Wilson if he's going to get a MLB ready shortstop in return, otherwise keep him. Same goes for Sanchez. The Next best 2B is batting .179.
so, the system mirrors the Pirates then...have they officially been eliminated yet?
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #485
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
so, the system mirrors the Pirates then...have they officially been eliminated yet?
No actually, it doesn't. They are very deep in the OF (Tabata, Hernandez, Milledge and others), Pedro Alvarez will be a very solid power bat (provided he gets his K's under control and his average up, but does have 19 HR and 65 RBI in his first pro season) and are deeper in pitching than they've been in a while. They also have 2 good SS prospects in Chase D'Arnaud (currently out for the season but was playing great beforehand) and Jordy Mercer in A ball. Their 1st rounder this year, Tony Sanchez, has played very well in the rookie league and now low-A West Virginia. Brad Lincoln is in AAA and will be in the majors either next season or in 2011 (has to get better though - his ERA is over 5). They're also one of the leading teams in the Miguel Sano sweepstakes. So the org has plenty of talent, and if they do sign Sano that will give them another top-notch talent. They just do not have a legit 2B or 1B prospect anywhere in the organization, though it's looking like Alvarez will eventually move over to 1B because his defense at 3rd has not been good. Until then, maybe Garrett "Freaking" Jones plays first after they eventually trade the waste of space known as Adam LaRoche.

My problem isn't with the talent level, it's the guys upstairs (Bob Nutting) that I have a problem with. When they make it to the majors (and many will), will ownership spend money to keep them? I say no.

And no, they have not been eliminated yet - they won last night and finally ended their 17-game losing streak against the Brewers.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #486
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Sanchez is batting 340 in 12 games with the Power and has 13 RBI and 1 HR.He has looked real good. Rudy Owens has been terrific this year with a 10-1 record and a 1.75 ERA. I dont know if the big club is high on him or not but he has been realgood for the Power this season.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:16 AM   #487
Pittsburghfan
Banned

Member Number: 5129

Adam LaRoche traded to Red Sox, no word on the return.

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...ade-close.aspx

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...ade-close.html
Pittsburghfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #488
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Here are the updateson that trade.
12:31pm: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus says Diaz is a very good defender who doesn't hit much. He says Strickland is a projectable righty with a fastball around 90 mph and average secondary stuff.

12:21pm: Ben Badler of Baseball America says the pair of prospects isn't much, not that the Pirates should expect more for two months of LaRoche.

12:05pm: Speier reports that the Pirates receive pitcher Hunter Strickland and shortstop Argenis Diaz.

So it looks like Yalls GM has pulled a Cleveland Indians type of trade. Trade good player for prospects that aint much.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #489
Pittsburghfan
Banned

Member Number: 5129

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Here are the updateson that trade.
12:31pm: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus says Diaz is a very good defender who doesn't hit much. He says Strickland is a projectable righty with a fastball around 90 mph and average secondary stuff.

12:21pm: Ben Badler of Baseball America says the pair of prospects isn't much, not that the Pirates should expect more for two months of LaRoche.

12:05pm: Speier reports that the Pirates receive pitcher Hunter Strickland and shortstop Argenis Diaz.

So it looks like Yalls GM has pulled a Cleveland Indians type of trade. Trade good player for prospects that aint much.
LaRoche was going to walk at season's end anyway. Argenis Diaz looks like a mirror image of Jack Wilson from the scouting report.
Pittsburghfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #490
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Didnt realize he was a FA at seasons end.