Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #491
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates Season Thread

Hallelujah! I'd have taken a basket of 10-year old baseballs and a pack of chewing gum for ADLR at this point. I'm surprised they got that much. Now I don't have to sit and watch him strike out for the umpteenth time or get 2 hits in 3 weeks.

Have fun, Red Sox Nation!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #492
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

I see the Red Sox called up another player from their farm system...
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #493
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Before the Pirates dealt Adam LaRoche to Boston, a second team made them an offer, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. An unknown club proposed a deal that would have sent a major leaguer and a borderline prospect to Pittsburgh for LaRoche. The Pirates would have had to take on the major leaguer's salary in the deal, which wasn't proposed by the Giants.

They've made four trades already, but the Pirates could continue dealing. GM Neal Huntington tells MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez that none of his players are untouchable.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #494
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

i'm really not shocked about any of our players getting traded anymore. i've just learned to deal with it and not get too invested with liking a player. Bay, Nady, Morgan, LaRoche...all good players in my eyes and now they're gone. that's fine, whatever. just please don't get rid of Doumit! haha!

last night's game was off the hook. 7-7 tied and a walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th by Brandon Moss. can't go wrong with that. i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a .500 record. ha!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #495
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
i'm really not shocked about any of our players getting traded anymore. i've just learned to deal with it and not get too invested with liking a player. Bay, Nady, Morgan, LaRoche...all good players in my eyes and now they're gone. that's fine, whatever. just please don't get rid of Doumit! haha!

last night's game was off the hook. 7-7 tied and a walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th by Brandon Moss. can't go wrong with that. i'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a .500 record. ha!
Bay is starting to wear out his welcome with Red Sox fans because he strikes out too much, especially in key situations. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Pirates fans complained about that all the time when Bay was here. The guy has never been good with RISP - in fact, if he was up with the bases loaded, you could pretty much count on him NOT getting the job done.

Nady is out for the season for the Yankees and was injured for a good bit after the deal last year. Let the Yankees pay him $7 million for not playing - I'm glad the Pirates aren't doing it.

Morgan is a 4th or 5th outfielder on any other team but the Pirates and Nationals. He was WAY overvalued because he was a good guy. Lastings Milledge, if he continues his hot hitting when he gets called up, will make you forget Morgan pretty quick.

LaRoche the Elder is a good defensive first baseman, I'll give him that. But he sucks balls at the plate, period. Your first baseman should have more than 12 HR and 40 RBI at this point, and hit a little better than .244. Garrett Jones in just 17 games has hit NINE HR, and he's hitting over .300. Yeah, I'll take Jones and his stats, thanks. I have no problem with him being dealt whatsoever. I'm just surprised they found a sucker to take him off our hands.

And let's talk about McLouth - he's done very little since being traded to the Braves. Meanwhile, Charlie Morton is 2-2 with a 3.21 ERA and Gorkys Hernandez is having a nice season with AA Altoona, and will definitely be at AAA to start next season assuming he has a solid spring. In the long run, the Bucs are going to win that trade, hands down.

Bottom line - the Pirates were not winning with those guys and needed to get younger and get more talent into the system. They've done a pretty good job of that. The question is not with the talent...the question is with management and their willingness to spend money to keep that talent here. History says they won't.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #496
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

the problem is, the whole team sucked when they were here...and now they still suck since they left. regardless of how productive they were on the field, i still liked them as players. they carried themselves well and acted like a professional athlete should. no egos, and no bullshit. i liked that about them. BUT...nothing's changed in Pittsburgh and that in turn has really opened my eyes to the simple fact that you can't get invested in liking a player because they could be outsted on any day of the week. it sucks, but you can really get used to anything.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #497
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
the problem is, the whole team sucked when they were here...and now they still suck since they left. regardless of how productive they were on the field, i still liked them as players. they carried themselves well and acted like a professional athlete should. no egos, and no bullshit. i liked that about them. BUT...nothing's changed in Pittsburgh and that in turn has really opened my eyes to the simple fact that you can't get invested in liking a player because they could be outsted on any day of the week. it sucks, but you can really get used to anything.
I stopped doing that years ago, dude...although I might start getting attached to McCutchen, because the kid can flat-out play. But for me, it isn't about getting attached to players so much as it is about finally putting a winner on the field. Guys can stay for 2-3 years and leave for all I care, so long as the team wins and continues to win.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #498
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

11-4 Diamondbacks tonight. Doumit smashed a homerun though. to me, he's the nice neat silver lining for this team. i hope he will stay. *fingers crossed*
Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #499
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Well, it looks like Morton shyt the bed right after the Pirates got him the lead...same thing Maholm did yesterday, except the bats couldn't bail him out and the bullpen shyt the bed even worse. I don't think I've ever seen a Pirates team that's been this bad on the road. Maybe 2001 when they lost 100 games.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #500
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Morton played well for the first 5 innings, and then poof! 3 runs...damn

History says that the Pirates wont spend money, but this isnt McClatchy/Littlefield, its Nutting/Huntington, so it COULD change, im hoping it will.

Doumit has an elite bat, its rare that you find a catcher with a bat like Doumit. Last player I could think of, that had power, and played catcher was Mike Piazza.