Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Big Ben goes from gridiron to green

Big Ben goes from gridiron to green
http://www.mydesert.com/article/2009...4010331/-1/rss
Steelers' quarterback a fan favorite on the links

Drew Schmenner
The Desert Sun

RANCHO MIRAGE — Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was back in competition Tuesday almost two months since winning Super Bowl XLIII.

The setting had shifted, however. Instead of connecting with balletic receiver Santonio Holmes for the winning touchdown, he was unleashing powerful drives at the Kraft Nabisco Championship Celebrity Pro-Am.

“It's a great time. It's a great place,” said Roethlisberger, who was paired with Natalie Gulbis, tournament chairman Dennis Belcastro and amateur Sang Chun.

The event is becoming a permanent fixture on the quarterback's offseason schedule.

“Dennis and those guys at Kraft do an awesome job out here, and I said, ‘As long as you'll ask me, I'll come,'” he said.

Roethlisberger was relaxed and down-to-earth on the Dinah Shore Tournament Course, joking with fans that he was wearing a bright red shirt to channel Tiger Woods, who wears his signature color on Sundays. He signed countless autographs and thanked fans for their support after his second Super Bowl victory.

The 6-foot-5, 240-pound quarterback might not be the only member of his family to win a championship this year. His sister, Carlee, could capture an NCAA women's basketball title.

As a sophomore forward for the Oklahoma Sooners, Roethlisberger and her teammates advanced to the Final Four with a 74-68 victory over Purdue on Tuesday. Fighting for playing time behind more experienced starters, the 6-foot-1 forward has flourished in the tournament, earning more minutes off the bench.

“She's persevered, and I'm proud of her,” Ben Roethlisberger said.

The Steeler said he plans on attending the Final Four in St. Louis, but don't count on the Miami (Ohio) alumnus singing “Boomer Sooner” with the OU faithful.

“No, I don't do that. I just cheer for her,” he said with a laugh.

Roethlisberger said he has been playing a lot of golf across the country during the offseason, including a recent round at Bighorn Golf Club. He has a 7 handicap, according to a list of athletes' handicaps published by Golf Digest in 2007. That puts him in the middle of pack, tied for 121st out of 220 athletes, placing him behind former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw (2.9 handicap) but ahead of New England quarterback Tom Brady (8).

Roethlisberger said his handicap has improved slightly, but he was unwilling to disclose the number, joking that his playing partners would think he was playing below his level.

“I can't reveal that because then all the people I play with will think I'm sandbagging,” he said with a laugh.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,296 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Big Ben goes from gridiron to green

I am glad to see him out playing golf instead of out riding that motorcycle.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

The shoulder and the rib must be feeling better.

Can we hope for a season with a relatively injury free Ben? O-line.....can you hear me?

Not that I'm complaining about the Superbowl winning O-line or anything ....... just sayin'...........
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Hmmm he was paired with Natalie Gulbis (Ex GF)...I wonder how Missy Peregrym feels about that haha
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
Hmmm he was paired with Natalie Gulbis (Ex GF)...I wonder how Missy Peregrym feels about that haha
First thing I noticed as well, interesting pairing. Natalie is definately a hottie for sure.. but it would suck because she could beat the snot out of you on the course....
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote