Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,332 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Davis ready for something special

A look at Bruce Davis’ stats from his rookie season last year reveals something that wasn’t easy for the young linebacker. Only five games played and no tackles, not even on special teams. And as far as the other 11 regular season games and three post-season contests, Davis was inactive, not even in uniform.

For the third-round draft pick, a standout while at UCLA, it was quite the adjustment. Sure he knew cracking the starting lineup with LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison ahead of him at outside linebacker was a far reach, but he was hoping for a bit more from his first NFL season.

“It was definitely a learning experience, especially with the guys I played behind, two of the best linebackers in the league,” said Davis. “Really we have four of the best linebackers in the league. It was a chance for me to sit back and learn from the best in the game, which I did.

“While I was going through it, it was kind of tough. I am used to being the guy. It’s a new experience. It’s definitely different than the NCAA. If I was going to have to sit down somewhere and watch, I am glad it was here, especially getting a Super Bowl ring.”

There were days during training camp when Davis would be running through drill after drill while head coach Mike Tomlin stayed right there watching, pushing him and not letting his slips ups go unnoticed. At times, it was tough on the rookie who was fighting for a job. But he understood where Tomlin was coming from, especially when he approached him at the start of offseason workouts a few weeks ago and told him that his redshirt year is over.

“He wouldn’t say that to me if he didn’t expect anything out of me,” said Davis. “He and I have talked. They drafted me in the third round so he expects me to give him his money’s worth. That is what I am going to do. He is a great motivator. He does it in his own way. He liked to give me a little bit of trouble this past year, but that is good, that is what I needed. Nothing comes easy. Nothing that is worth anything comes easy.

“I am glad the situation I am in and to have him as a coach, he is a great head coach. It’s very good to have him here. He is a younger guy and he understands what younger guys go through. He really stays on us, me especially, which I like. At first I was like this sucks, but after a while you realize they need something out of you and they are going to get it however they can. It was good to have him on me a little bit last year.”

Davis is hard at work this offseason with a new outlook. After getting down a bit last season and questioning himself, he understands from watching his teammates what the most important thing is.

“I have a new focus, especially after last year,” said Davis. “It’s about the team. I want to do anything I can to help the team. I will be here four-five days a week, working hard, getting it done in the weight room, on the field and in the classroom part of it. That’s what I want to do. I want to do what I can to help this team.”

And that might be playing on special teams more than getting a lot of snaps on defense. That works for him, especially after hearing stories from his father, Bruce, Sr., who played in the NFL from 1979-89.

“I got a little taste of it,” said Davis of playing special teams. “I played in five games which was a good start to learn the speed of the game. Now I want to be one of those major contributors on special teams. That’s really where it’s going to have to be with the guys we have. That’s no secret to anybody.

“I hear stories from my dad all of the time about guys who were in the league for double digit years and all they did was play special teams. If that’s what it takes to keep me here, and for me to have an impact on this team then I am all for it.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/104383/
Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Re: Davis ready for something special

For those of you who care to know, Davis is a great pass rusher on Madden 09. I sustitute him in for Brett Keisel in the Dollar and Quarter packages. I'm serious, he's a great pass rusher.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Man I hope so!!

even as a situational pass rusher this guy could add a new dimension to an already nasty defense

Spend time with james, be a gym rat. He can end up being great. I just don't want an alonzo jackson....
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

You can never have enough good LB's. Hopefully he'll shine when called upon.

I have high hopes for davis ... he dominated at UCLA. However, he seems like just a pure rush LB, and definitely doesn't have the speed/athleticism as someone like Timmons to cover in the flats.

I think this was a move made a year early that could have been spent on the O or D-line.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

I think this coming season we see Davis make an apperance. I really think he was drafted to replace Harrison.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #6
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think davis will be a good contributor next yr.. beef up a lil bit and hopefully he can be the man to take over harrison

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i think davis will be a good contributor next yr.. beef up a lil bit and hopefully he can be the man to take over harrison
I agree - I've felt that Davis' only real "issue" up to now was that he was a bit on the smallish side as far as his weight was concerned. And then, of course, is the learning curve involved in LeBeau's defensive scheme.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,100 Posts

I think Davis can be a solid OLB. Kind of a Clark Haggans type guy, if he puts his work in. There was a video of him at UCLA and it showed most of his sacks were hussle and relentless pursuit....not bull rushing the OT, so he looked weak in his play.

Apparantly he showed good quickness and change of direction at the combine last year, but I wish the kid showed more effort in his play. I would think a motivated 3rd round LB should be able to get on the field for special teams over Donovan Woods and Patrick Bailey. But, he didnt.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

To quote judge smails,

"Well....We're waiting."

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,100 Posts

Here's that college video of Davis. Lots of speed and coverage sacks, but not too much of engaging the OT and then making a move.

I think lack of strength and lack of motivation kept him from at least being a special teams contributor last season.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote