Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Leon Searcy - Why he left the Steelers

I found this on another Steeler site. Very interesting what Leon went through and why he left the Steelers. For anyone who doesn't think that Drew Rosenhaus (BMAC's agent) is not a complete dirtbag...read this. It would surprise me if Rosenhaus did the same thing with BMAC.

http://www.procanes.com/

Here are the Steeler-related excerpts. I like being a fan of an organization that makes such a positive lasting impact on players. Also, Rosenhaus is a great agent in terms of getting his players (and thus himself) the most money, but man what a snake...

pC; You went to the Steelers, the Jaguars, Ravens and Dolphins. What was your favorite stop?
LS: My favorite stop was Pittsburgh. I love being a Steeler. Everything about it. The hard-nosed, tough, hardhat, coming to work everyday lunch pail attitude, the Steelers exempted, I loved everything about it. Coach Cowher was an awesome coach, very player friendly. He loved winning, hated losing, tough, hard-nosed. I came in with Cowher, I was his first pick in 1992. Everything about being a Steeler, I enjoy.

pC: Do you follow the NFL now? You follow a team?
LS: I follow the Steelers. I played for a couple of teams but the Steelers seem to be the only ones interested in me after football. They contacted me last year because it was the 75th anniversary of the Steelers franchise and they called me and said that I made the all 90s team and they wanted me to come. They send my son stuff and stay in contact with him. The Jaguars, I have yet to hear from them and they were my most recent team.

pC: Why did you end up going to the Jaguars?
LS: This is a funny story. Iím a free agent just out of the Super Bowl. My agent is Drew Rosenhaus, enough said there. Iím a little profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and Iím in the Bahamas. Iím resting. Drew Rosenhaus calls me and says ĎLeon we have a deal on the table.í I say from the Steelers? And he says Ďno from Jaguars.í And I said the Jaguars? Come on now.

This is why I left Pittsburgh. Drew Rosenhaus got the Steelers on the phone. Drew told me at the time that the money we were asking from Pittsburgh didnít think I deserved it. Youíve got to remember at the time, I am 24, 25, a pro bowler and teams are telling me that I donít deserve [the money]. He said ĎPittsburgh doesnít think you deserve the kind money you are asking for.í They said youíre too young. I said I donít believe you, youíre lying. So Drew got them on the phone, and I am on the phone listening. Drew is ranting and raving and saying Leon is going to leave and theyíre saying we donít care we have someone to replace him. So that was probably the worst thing that could have happened to me.

pC: They didnít know you were on the phone?
LS: No. They didnít. They didnít know I was on the phone and Drew negotiated with them. You donít want to hear negotiations. For one, Iím 25 years old, you donít understand the business. His job is to get as much money as he can and their job is to keep as much and weíre supposed to meet somewhere in the middle. But Drew did not explain that to me. He just explained that they donít want you for the money youíre asking for. So, Iím on the phone and Iím hearing them say Leon is only a starter for us for 3 years and we canít give him that kind of money because Dermontti Dawson is this and he will be a future Hall of Famer. We love the kid but we canít pay him to be the highest offensive lineman. So I am listening to this. I am fuming mad. I said the hell with Pittsburgh. Iíll go somewhere else and prove myself. As soon as we hung up the phone, Drew had the Jaguars right there. He had already staged the whole thing because the Jaguars wanted to make me the highest paid offensive linemen in the NFL at that time. So, Drew said donít worry about them, Iíve got a team that wants to make you the highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL and I said whoís that? He said the Jacksonville Jaguars. I said, letís go. I was fuming mad from that point on but I didnít understand the nature of the business. Thatís how the business is. I would advise any guy who is a free agent, that is young to not listen to the negotiations between your agent and the team. They want to strip you down and heís going to build you up and theyíve got to meet somewhere in the middle. You couldnít tell me that, not at the time. The way they were stripping me down. He canít do this, he canít do that, heís got limitations. It was so tempting to just say something on the phone. I was holding it in.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555
Default Re: Leon Searcy - Why he left the Steelers

Interesting read thanks... seems Searcy has seen the light and realizes the Steelers are a first class organization... unluck that smuck Rosenhaus
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I have always felt that agents in most cases not all of them are not that concerned with the players and only the money they can make. Some teams are the same way but hell you can't pay a player what they think they are worth we would have Billion dollar contracts out there that the fans will be paying for to watch the team.

Glad Leon learned that the Steelers wanted him but are tough negotiators also.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,038 Posts

Rosenhaus is sleazy to put the player on the phone without the team negotiator knowing. Cant argue that he gets his guys money, but I doubt he is ever asked to guest lecture on business ethics.

Searcy left........the Steelers replaced him with Justin Strelczyk at RT and then drafted Jamain Stevens as a bust. Would have been nice to keep him, but the Steelers made the right decision then.

What I cant figure out is........why do you refuse to pay Leon Searcy top OT dollar, but pay Max Starks the average of the top 5 OT's in the NFL???
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Different times and different situations is why they didnt resign Searcy and they did resign Starks. I liked Leon Searcy and what he brought to the Steelers for the years he was with the Steelers. Nice read and thanks again for sharing.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What I cant figure out is........why do you refuse to pay Leon Searcy top OT dollar, but pay Max Starks the average of the top 5 OT's in the NFL???
I would think it was because it was during the pre-Heinz Field revenue days when he left (mid-'90s) and we simply couldn't afford to pay him what he was worth, along with the majority of our other FAs at the time who kept walking out of the revolving door on the Steelers' clubhouse.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

You really can't compare the Starks and Searcy situations. They are completely different...both in the Era they took place in, the GM in charge dealing with it, and the amount of revenue the Steelers were/are generating in comparison to Three Rivers vs. Heinz Field.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
From the last Q/A it looks like they didn't want to pay him more than Dawson at the time. I could understand that.

I guess Starks is the "money man" this year. There isn't really a whole lot of competition for him at this point.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
From the last Q/A it looks like they didn't want to pay him more than Dawson at the time.
I REAAALLY miss Dawson - especially now.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

We used to run one of Searcy's shoes for good luck before every game at JB's Sports Bar in Orlando.