Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers needs: Smart approach serves Steelers well

(Not sure if this one should go in here or in the draft fourm so if some one wants to move it fine. - mesa)
http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/d...y/11587513/rss

Steelers needs: Smart approach serves Steelers well
April 3, 2009
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers have won two Super Bowls in the past four years. The reason is simple.

They draft well.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of player personnel, is one of the top personnel men in the league when it comes to drafting. For some reason, he doesn't get his due.

He should.

The Steelers are one of the smart teams that rarely dive into the free-agency pool, instead choosing to build their team with good drafting. Their roster is loaded with star draft picks.

The other good thing about the Steelers is they have a good feel for when it's time to let a player go. That's the case this year with corner Bryant McFadden. They liked McFadden, but not enough to give him a mega-contract. So he signed with Arizona for two years and $10 million.

The Steelers will likely draft a corner in the first two or three rounds -- maybe even in the first round -- to help fill that void.

That's the Steelers way.

That's the winning way.

QB: Ben Roethlisberger won his second Super Bowl, proving he is one of the game's elite. He isn't as conventional as some other top quarterbacks but he gets the job done. Backup Byron Leftwich is a free agent but if he doesn't sign somewhere else the Steelers would love to have him back. Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon are also in the mix.

RB: Willie Parker is the starter, but Rashard Mendenhall will push him for time. Mendenhall is a tougher inside runner who is coming off a major injury. Mewelde Moore offers a nice third-down back, while Carey Davis a nice fullback.

WR: Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes form a nice pass-catching combination. Ward is no longer the top guy, being passed by Holmes, but he can still get the job done. The key here is whether Limas Sweed steps up as the third receiver to replace Nate Washington. Sweed dropped several key passes last season as a rookie. Martin Nance is also in the mix.

TE: Heath Miller is one of the better all-round tight ends in the league. He blocks and he can be a factor in the passing game. Matt Spaeth is a solid backup and Sean McHugh is a young player with potential.

OL: The Steelers return the entire line that started in the Super Bowl, which they needed. Those five played well in the postseason, but the question now is if they can maintain it. The key is how well left tackle Max Starks holds up. The Steelers could still use an upgrade at a few spots, so look for an early pick on the offensive line.

DL: Age is starting to become a factor on their line. Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are all 30 or more. They're all good players, but they have to find depth behind them and possible replacements. The Steelers got by with little backup help last season. Chris Hoke and Travis Kirschke are just OK.

LB: This is one of the strongest positions on the team. Outside rushers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley are the best pair of outside linebackers in the game. Inside backers James Farrior and Larry Foote are good, but look for Lawrence Timmons to push Foote out this season.

Secondary: The loss of McFadden to the Cardinals in free agency leaves a huge hole. Can Deshea Townsend or William Gay fill it? There's also Fernando Bryant as a reserve. They will likely use an early pick on a corner. Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark form a nice combo in the back two. Tyrone Carter is a decent backup, but they need a young safety who can run.

(See link to the article for a graphic showing the draft needs.
http://www.cbssports.com/print/nfl/d...y/11587513/rss
- mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: Steelers needs: Smart approach serves Steelers well

Carey Davis is a NICE fb??? What the hell has that guy been smoking?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

He's danged good on Madden!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

I don't understand why people think that CB is such a huge hole now that McFadden left. He was a 50/50 starter as it was, and we currently have 3 corners capable of starter. An early pick on a corner is not a necessity.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,297 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289 View Post
I don't understand why people think that CB is such a huge hole now that McFadden left. He was a 50/50 starter as it was, and we currently have 3 corners capable of starter. An early pick on a corner is not a necessity.
I agree. The Steelers secondary is in better shape this year than the O line was last year. If they can ignore the linemen in the draft then, I dont think ignoring a CB this year is out of the question.

Taylor, Townsend, Gay, Bryant and a 3rd round guy like Mike Mickens or Keenan Lewis (even Macho Harris in the 4th) with Roy Lewis can still be a good secondary. Need depth on both lines as next year Keisel will probably leave in FA and Hampton might not be extended.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,100 Posts

I have to agree like Psyycho said Townsend is 33. I think it is time to draft someone and start getting them ready to start one day.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Secondary: The loss of McFadden to the Cardinals in free agency leaves a huge hole. Can Deshea Townsend or William Gay fill it? There's also Fernando Bryant as a reserve. They will likely use an early pick on a corner. Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark form a nice combo in the back two. Tyrone Carter is a decent backup, but they need a young safety who can run.
I can see the Steelers picking a corner in a late round, but not in an early round. I think we're just fine at that position with the guys we currently have.

As for Tyrone Carter - I think the guy stepped up admirably, particularly in the post-season, and I have no worries about him whatsoever. He just turned 33 and if we can grab a safety in a late round, fine, but all in all, I've been very happy with his play.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Needs
OL, DL, WR, CB
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote