Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924
Default Broncos' Owner Bowlen explains Cutler trade

Bowlen explains Cutler trade
Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said in a letter to season ticket holders Saturday that the organization had no choice but to trade Jay Cutler over his insubordination.

Bowlen preached a message of team unity in the e-mail, reiterating that he and new coach Josh McDaniels had reached out many times to Cutler, who didn't respond to their overtures.

Bowlen, who remained largely silent during the six-week rift that ended with Thursday's blockbuster trade with the Chicago Bears, wrote that anybody who puts himself above the team gets a one-way ticket out of town.

"Understand this: it remains about team," Bowlen wrote. "Our franchise has gone to the Super Bowl six times, with three different coaches and with many different players. It has never been about one player, and it never will be. Coach McDaniels shares this vision, and everyone in the organization -- players, coaches and staff -- must understand and accept this unconditionally. If anyone does not, that person will not be a part of this franchise."

Cutler became disenchanted when he learned Denver had talked about trading him for New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel six weeks ago.
He requested a trade last month after a face-to-face meeting with McDaniels failed to clear the air. The Broncos initially balked, with McDaniels saying repeatedly that Cutler was his guy and they would work things out.

Cutler ignored calls and texts from McDaniels and Bowlen, however, and the owner reached his breaking point Tuesday and told McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders to try to trade Cutler.

Several teams were interested in the 25-year-old, rocket-armed passer who made the Pro Bowl in his second full season as a starter. But the Bears came up with the best offer, sending quarterback Kyle Orton, two first-round draft picks and a third-rounder to Denver for Cutler and a fifth-rounder.

In his letter, Bowlen wrote that he felt compelled "to give our community and our fans an explanation regarding the Jay Cutler situation," and suggested he had no problem with his 32-year-old rookie coach chasing off a franchise quarterback before he'd even conducted his first practice.

Bowlen said one of his directives when he hired McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan "was that he consider everything possible to return the Broncos to the level which you and I both expect, and this certainly includes making a fair evaluation of every opportunity presented to us which might improve the team."

"He and General Manager Brian Xanders have had my complete support throughout, and they have it now," Bowlen wrote. "It is important that you know that at all times we represented ourselves to Jay with honesty and integrity."

Bowlen added that more than 96 percent of season ticket holders had renewed for 2009, which he wrote was "a compelling statement of support and trust."
Deana Sanders, a season ticket holder since 1996, didn't even open her e-mail from Bowlen, who already has her support.

"Whether the Broncos are at fault or not, that doesn't matter," Sanders said. "If I threw a fit like Jay Cutler and didn't respond to a call from my boss, I wouldn't even have a job. I wouldn't have an opportunity to be traded."

At least one fan's feelings weren't assuaged by Bowlen's letter.

"I thought it was too little, too late," said Ken Mendelsberg, 42, whose family has had Broncos season tickets since 1961.
Neither Bowlen's letter nor McDaniels' news conference Friday curbed his concerns about the direction of the franchise.

"I don't understand why he'd go to a press conference wearing a hoodie," Mendelsberg said of McDaniels. "Jay Cutler showed up at his press conference (in Chicago) looking nice. He looked like he had a makeover -- nice suit, nice tie, nice haircut. He even laughed. I'd never seen him laugh. It's like he had a new lease on life."
He doesn't feel the same about his beloved Broncos.

"I'm so bummed. What do I tell my kids? We don't have a quarterback; we don't have a defense," Mendelsberg said. "This did nothing to ease my mind."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4042472
Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Broncos' Owner Bowlen explains Cutler trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojobny View Post
"It is important that you know that at all times we represented ourselves to Jay with honesty and integrity."
Um, obviously you didn't, Mr. Bowlen, otherwise Jay wouldn't have thrown his fit and would still be a Bronco.

Even though Cutler acted like a spoiled brat in this whole saga, he had every right to question the FO after learning about that trade proposal. I know I would.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Well - there's sure been ALOT of offseason drama, not just with the Broncos, but in the ENTIRE NFL, that's for sure!

I'll admit - I'm kinda having fun watching it, for some reason.
BrandonCarr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

As long as the drama bug stays out of Pittsburgh, I'm fine. Things seem to be shaping themselves up for another Super Bowl run.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:37 AM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Yeah, if this guy had any brains, or balls, he would've replaced the coach instead and stopped the trade before it even happened.

OK, so the Broncos lucked out and got something decent in return for Cutler, and McDaniels saved face because of that. But did the whole thing not make you wonder whether you hired the right guy? A person who, as his first act as head coach, pissed off the whole team and made the franchise a laughingstock around the league by trying to trade for a shitty quarterback, who he didn't even get anyway? What's going to happen the next time some bonehead decision like this goes on and you don't luck out? You just spent $20 million to let Shanahan loose, and how much do you have invested in this guy in terms of either time or money? You're really saying you couldn't get rid of him?

As little as I think of Cutler, I think even less of McDaniels, and I hope his sack-licking face gets kicked out the door so fast he never gets a job in the NFL again. Of course, a year or two of abject failure in the meantime wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

This guy is trying to be a mini-Bellichick.

He even wears a hooded sweatshirt all the time.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
nojobny
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 5924

Here's the letter printed in the Denver Post

Dear Broncos Fan,

I am writing this letter today because I feel compelled to give our community and our fans an explanation regarding the Jay Cutler situation.

One of my directives to Josh McDaniels upon his hiring was that he consider everything possible to return the Broncos to the level which you and I both expect, and this certainly includes making a fair evaluation of every opportunity presented to us which might improve the team. He and General Manager Brian Xanders have had my complete support throughout, and they have it now. It is important that you know that at all times we represented ourselves to Jay with honesty and integrity.

I assure you both Josh and I made repeated attempts to reach out to Jay, and I can not speak for him as to why he chose to limit his response. Ultimately, given his unwillingness to speak with either of us directly in the last 12 days- at the same time his agent clearly stating to us Jay's intentions- it became very apparent to me personally that he no longer wanted to play for the Denver Broncos. As such, we elected to trade him.

Understand this: it remains about team. Our franchise has gone to the Super Bowl six times, with three different coaches and with many different players. It has never been about one player, and it never will be. Coach McDaniels shares this vision, and everyone in the organization—players, coaches and staff—must understand and accept this unconditionally. If anyone does not, that person will not be a part of this franchise.

I am extremely proud of our franchise, its accomplishments, and the region and fans that we represent. We have an illustrious history, one which we are all anxious to add to, and if someone does not wish to be with us as we head in this direction, then we will move on, and move forward.

Over 96% of our season ticket holders have chosen to renew their tickets for the 2009 season. This is once again a compelling statement of support and trust by the greatest fans in the NFL, and I assure you my only goal is and always will be to compete at the highest championship level.

The Denver Broncos will move forward in 2009 as one team, united with the most loyal and passionate fan base in football, towards the only goal we will ever pursue.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your understanding and continued support.

Sincerely,

Pat Bowlen

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/...mented-broncos

But what's funny is some of comments down below the article. The funniest are now on the second page of the comments.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

I hope McDaniels turns out like every other Belicheat ass. before him. Fired in 3 to 4 years.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

While Cutler really hasn't proven much in the NFL, I don't understand why the boy genius McDaniels thinks Cassell would have been a big upgrade.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler in Carolina View Post
While Cutler really hasn't proven much in the NFL, I don't understand why the boy genius McDaniels thinks Cassell would have been a big upgrade.
There's some famous quote that explains this phenomenon in the business world ...

" 'A' people hire 'A' people. 'B' people hire 'C' and 'D' people."

Hopefully this at least means McDaniels is on the right path to failure.