Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Norfolk corner to pay South Side a visit

Steeler report: Norfolk corner to pay South Side a visit
April 6, 4:21 AM

PITTSBURGH - The parade of potential draft picks continues this week at the South Side facility, as at least four players have been scheduled for pre-draft visits.

On April 8, Norfolk State CB Don Carey will be in town. Carey has already worked out for the Miami Dolphins who are said to be extremely interested in him and will have him back the day before he is in Pittsburgh on April 7. He has also worked out for the Seattle Seahawks and they plan on having him back in for another interview next week.

The 5-foot-11, 186 pound corner had an informal interview with the Steelers at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Carey plays very physical at the line and in coverage and he gets back into the play even if a receiver makes a nice head fake to get an advantage. He has also done a good job with run support.

On March 20th during the Norfolk State Pro Day, he recorded a 32 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump, 4.20 short shuttle and a 6.87 three-cone drill time.

A four-year starter, he was second-team All-MEAC as a junior and was named on the first team in 2008. He accumulated eight interceptions and 14 pass breakups over those two seasons. One thing that makes him intriguing to teams such as the Steelers is the fact he is versatile and can play both safety and cornerback.

He is also very bright. After high school, Carey turned down a chance to attend Yale because it was cost prohibitive and had the highest GPA on the Norfolk State team.

Its one thing to watch film on a guy and see how he plays on the field. But when youre able to sit down and get into face-to-face conversations, get inside his head and learn how well he knows the game and what direction hes going with his life, you get a more complete impression of him, Carey told Scout.com. I think Ive impressed a lot of people with my knowledge of the game, how well I was able to comprehend their playbook and explain my own.

Carey is projected as a day two pick by most draft analysts.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...h-Side-a-visit
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Default Re: Norfolk corner to pay South Side a visit

had not really heard to much about this guy...but was just checking out his numbers and the analysis that scouts have on him...He seems like a very strong day two pick.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=CB
Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,851 Times in 928 Posts

Yeah, he ran a 4.54 forty at the combine. Apparantly a strong, smart, physical corner with inconsistent hands, but lacks deep speed. Kind of like William Gay but with Ike Taylor's hands.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Yeah, day 2 only...we don't need another Ricardo Colclough situation...
Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, he ran a 4.54 forty at the combine. Apparantly a strong, smart, physical corner with inconsistent hands, but lacks deep speed. Kind of like William Gay but with Ike Taylor's hands.
He has been timed as fast as 4.49

You gotta forget those combine times....It has already been proven that "something" was wrong there...with most players showing MUCH faster times at pro-days or at individual workouts.

Look at the rest of the article:

Quote:
EAST-WEST SHRINE STANDOUT: CB Don Carey, Norfolk State: Another small-schooler turning heads against FBS prospects. The 5-11, 186-pound corner played physically, refusing to back down in coverage or run support. He unquestionably showed the best recovery speed of any corner this week; even if the receiver ran a great route that put him off-balance, Carey quickly got back into the play.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Yeah, I just don't get the hangup with combine numbers. The day these guys start running track in shorts during a football game is the day I put real stock in the combine 40's. There's track speed and there's football speed and the two are NOT the same thing.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
He has been timed as fast as 4.49

You gotta forget those combine times....It has already been proven that "something" was wrong there...with most players showing MUCH faster times at pro-days or at individual workouts.

Look at the rest of the article:
I'm not hungup on those combine numbers. I just like it because it basically helps compare apples to apples. A guy can run a 4.49 at Indy, then go to his home track which is a faster surface, downhill with a wind and run a 4.39. Don Carey was tagged as a guy without deep speed before the combine. So was Revefs boy Jenkins........and they both ran the same time at the combine.

I think both are guys that fit in a scheme where they are not put on an island without deep safety help. Jenkins has obviously been tested against better competition and that is why he is a 1st rounder and Carey probably a 5th rounder.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I'm not hungup on those combine numbers. I just like it because it basically helps compare apples to apples. A guy can run a 4.49 at Indy, then go to his home track which is a faster surface, downhill with a wind and run a 4.39. Don Carey was tagged as a guy without deep speed before the combine. So was Revefs boy Jenkins........and they both ran the same time at the combine.

I think both are guys that fit in a scheme where they are not put on an island without deep safety help. Jenkins has obviously been tested against better competition and that is why he is a 1st rounder and Carey probably a 5th rounder.
Any other year I pay attention to the combine numbers ...this year the forty times are very suspect.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Any other year I pay attention to the combine numbers ...this year the forty times are very suspect.
I agree that they are suspect, but I only consider the 40 times as an indication of some qualities.

Jenkins is a big corner who some tabbed as maybe being an Antrelle Rolle type player that could switch to FS, or else be a guy like Brandon Flowers that can play great CB in a cover-2 backfield. Much of that was said before the combine and the times reinforced that.

Same things were said about Victor Harris of Va Tech and that looks like the same. I think the film shows so much more than the stopwatch. The recorded times are just another tool in the evaluation.