Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
darnik44
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2958
Default Updated 7 Round Mock Draft

NFLDraftSpot.com 7 Round Mock Draft -- http://www.nfldraftspot.com/mock-drafts.html
Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814
Default Re: Updated 7 Round Mock Draft

Certainly throws conventional rankings to the wind I guess.

I don't see the Steelers picking up Gilbert in rd 1. He's overhyped. Maybe Raiders 2nd round. He can jump out a pool at Al Davis's profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltertail parties.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I really don't think we'll spend the top pick on a DL. Nobody stands out enough and is within reach.

If Lauranitis is still around when we pick, like this guy seems to believe, I have no doubt we'll grab him. Most people overlook it because of the guys we've got currently, but due to age and contracts, replenishing our LBs is a BIG need in the next year or two. We'll almost certainly lose one of either Woodley or Harrison ... and also Foote (if he leaves) or Farrior (if he shows his age). And as far as I can tell, we've only really got one standout guy ready to step in.

According to this guy's draft, we could get both Lauranitis and Mack with basically no trouble, which would make me extremely happy with rounds 1-2. But I really don't think Mack will fall that far, leaving us with a tough choice, of course.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
darnik44
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I really don't think we'll spend the top pick on a DL. Nobody stands out enough and is within reach.

If Lauranitis is still around when we pick, like this guy seems to believe, I have no doubt we'll grab him. Most people overlook it because of the guys we've got currently, but due to age and contracts, replenishing our LBs is a BIG need in the next year or two. We'll almost certainly lose one of either Woodley or Harrison ... and also Foote (if he leaves) or Farrior (if he shows his age). And as far as I can tell, we've only really got one standout guy ready to step in.

According to this guy's draft, we could get both Lauranitis and Mack with basically no trouble, which would make me extremely happy with rounds 1-2. But I really don't think Mack will fall that far, leaving us with a tough choice, of course.
Laurinaitis isn't even remotely close to being considered a 3-4 OLB. There's a lot of questions about his ability as a 3-4 ILB too. The Steelers have only drafted 3 LB's in their history in the 1st round. The most recent was Timmons and it's clear Tomlin made that call as a rookie head coach. They took him 15th overall as an OLB. He's now an ILB and hasn't started a single game. I love his potential and he finally looks ready to contribute on a regular basis, but that was not good use of the 15th overall pick. Dwayne Bowe (WR) should have been the pick in hindsight. Huey Richardson was the last LB the Steelers took in the first, I believe that was 1992. He was out of the league in a hurry.

Bruce Davis will be James Harrison's replacement in 2010 when he moves on as a free agent.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279

So many mock drafts insist the Steelers must address the offensive line. The fact of the matter is, that's not how the Steelers work. The Steelers are a team who drafts for value first and gets the best available football players that fit a need. This is why they generally always have one of the more talented group of players year after year. Jarron Gilbert is a player who fits a relatively unknown need the Steelers have a defensive end. Aaron Smith is getting older and Brett Keisel isn't guaranteed to be around much longer. Gilbert is an amazing physical speciment who is a little raw, but has tremendous upside. Because the Steelers aren't in need of an immediate starter they can afford to develope him like they have done with so many defensive stars over the years. Gilbert is versatile enough to be a situational pass rusher from the defensive tackle position on passing downs while he refines his skills at DE and works his way into the starting line-up. I feel there is a strong possibility they Steelers could move up if Michael Oher or William Beatty slide a bit. Other possibilities from the #32 spot would be Alphonso Smith, Sean Smith, Eben Britton. A real sleeper pick here would be Louisville center/guard Eric Wood, who I feel is the best interior offensive linemen in this class and versatile enough to garner a pick this high. Ideally for the Steelers if they do go with Britton or Wood, trading down slightly would be in their best option.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
Laurinaitis isn't even remotely close to being considered a 3-4 OLB.
who said he was?

Quote:
...most recent was Timmons and it's clear Tomlin made that call as a rookie head coach.
and this is clear how??

Quote:
...that was not good use of the 15th overall pick. Dwayne Bowe (WR) should have been the pick in hindsight.
??

Quote:
Huey Richardson was the last LB the Steelers took in the first, I believe that was 1992. He was out of the league in a hurry.
ancient history-- what's the point?

Quote:
Bruce Davis will be James Harrison's replacement in 2010 when he moves on as a free agent.
I hope he's able to contribute. Not being able to beat out UDFA players to make the gameday roster is not so impressive
Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
darnik44
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
who said he was?

and this is clear how??

??

ancient history-- what's the point?

I hope he's able to contribute. Not being able to beat out UDFA players to make the gameday roster is not so impressive
-Well there was a comment that talked about losing Harrison and drafting Laurinaitis in the same breath.

-Mike Tomlin was all over Lawrence Timmons as a prospect. He was the only head coach at his pro day. The Steelers philosophies over the years have not included drafting linebackers in the first round. Tomlin comes to town and was all over Timmons. I can remember interviews with Steelers personel and Mike Tomlin around draft time that year. When you read between the lines it suggested Tomlin was quite headstrong during the draft process and by his own admissions. There's enough evidence that says Timmons was Tomlins guy and not a concensus pick. Tomlin also thought Timmons could be a rush linebacker. At the time I adamently was opposed to the pick and said he would ultimately wind up at ILB, and he did. A top 15 pick isn't a good value if they have zero starts after 2 season and aren't a lock to start in year 3. Dwayne Bowe on the other hand has been a productive player in a bad offense with bad QB play. Ward, Holmes, and Bowe would be the best trio in the league, hands down.

-Ancient history has a lot to do with things. Teams have certain approaches to the draft. The Steelers know that a college DE has a big learning curve to adjust to the 3-4 OLB position. They know they generally take 2-3 years to develope. Because of this you see them getting their LB's in rounds 2-4 generally so they can afford to develope them. Look at the Jets. They took Vernon Gholston #6 last year and are paying him a huge contract to learn and develope. Maybe by year 3 he will pan out and then be a FA after year 4. Where's the value there? The Steelers don't usually have salary cap issues. Them drafting for value is one of the main reasons. Not paying big FA contracts is another. As Steelers fans we don't have to endure the "rebuilding years" and "cap hell" years. We can all generally expect them to be contenders year after year.

Also on history...I've been following the draft closely since 1989. One thing I can absolutely say is, history repeats itself.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

-Timmons has been contributing in the Nickel this year. For LeBeau's Defense, that amount of contribution is pretty good in the 2nd year. I think Timmons could play OLB well. He's just not among the 2 best on the team.

- My point about ancient history is that the personnel that were running the FO are almost entirely different now vs '92. Also the availability of 3-4 prospects is a bit different now that 10 teams are running this scheme, with 2-3 converting every year it seems.

-- all that being said, I'm not in favor of drafting Laurinitis at rd 1. ILB is maybe 4th or 5th down the priority list.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
darnik44
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
-Timmons has been contributing in the Nickel this year. For LeBeau's Defense, that amount of contribution is pretty good in the 2nd year. I think Timmons could play OLB well. He's just not among the 2 best on the team.

- My point about ancient history is that the personnel that were running the FO are almost entirely different now vs '92. Also the availability of 3-4 prospects is a bit different now that 10 teams are running this scheme, with 2-3 converting every year it seems.

-- all that being said, I'm not in favor of drafting Laurinitis at rd 1. ILB is maybe 4th or 5th down the priority list.
-I'll give you the point on there being more 3-4 teams and less availability. I'm not sure how this is going to work long term. As far as the Steelers go, the same common philosophies have existed since the 70's despite front office and coaching turnover. That consistancy is what makes them so special.

-The point on Timmons is where he was drafted. Top 15 picks are suppossed to produce very early. What if they said on draft day that they drafted him 15th overall (with a bunch of talent still available) primarily to contribute in the nickle? You probably would have smashed your T.V. In reality Timmons should have been drafted around the 27-35 range by a 4-3 team as a weak side OLB.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #10
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

I agree with you on Timmons being picked at 15 he should of contributed ALOT more than he did...but understand that there were guys that were pretty good @ that/those positions already on the steelers squad....timmons will live up to his first round 15th selection....its just a matter of time....i think he'll contribute more this year and next year he could possibly be a starter for many years to come....but we'll see...we've all seen flashes of timmons potential in games...hopefully he lives up to his selection.....
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote