Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
surcalifero
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13079
Default Nfl Draft refusal

I was wondering today about the nfl draft. Do players in the draft have a right to turn down the team that selects them or does it have to always end up in a trade. The one that comes to mind is Eli Manning not wanting to go to the Chargers and it is easier to find a trade earlier in the first couple of rounds. But let say if there is a player in the seventh round that gets selected by the NY Giants and the football player doesn't like the limelight and refuses to get drafted by that team. Does he lose his eligibility to get drafted or can he wait until another team selects him.
surcalifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,246 Times in 2,690 Posts
Default Re: Nfl Draft refusal

like you say, i think he "loses his eligibility" to get drafted.

once a player is selected, the team has exclusive rights. his only chance of recourse is to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft the following year.

im pretty sure on this. good question though.

theres lots of talk of detroit simply bypassing the 1st pick altogether and letting other teams choose before them to save money on a #1 pick who may not be worth $40 mil guaranteed (stafford or curry).
Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,422 Posts

actually tony, i don't think they re enter the draft the following year . i believe they just sit out the year, then they're just considerd free agaents the following year.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
tony hipchest

good point. maybe im getting confused by the verbiage but wouldnt it be like a practice squad player (i think) where a potential wanting team gets the first right of refusal based on lowest record ( which is pretty much the draft order)?

from my understanding you are not officially a 'free agent" until you actually sign a deal, or 32 teams pass on you in 7 rounds of a draft in your 1st year of eligibility.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
good point. maybe im getting confused by the verbiage but wouldnt it be like a practice squad player (i think) where a potential wanting team gets the first right of refusal based on lowest record ( which is pretty much the draft order)?

from my understanding you are not officially a 'free agent" until you actually sign a deal, or 32 teams pass on you in 7 rounds of a draft in your 1st year of eligibility.
as you said...drafting the player gives the team your nfl rights for 1 year. after that year, the player , i would think is no different in the eyes of the nfl as you or I, or carlton haselrig. i'd think you would just be a walk on....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Actually Bo Jackson did that back in 86. He was drafted by Tampa and refused to sign. So he played baseball that year and entered the 87 draft where the Raiders took him.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Actually Bo Jackson did that back in 86. He was drafted by Tampa and refused to sign. So he played baseball that year and entered the 87 draft where the Raiders took him.
but do they have to enter the draft ? or can they sign as a walk on ?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
and i pretty much base "my understanding" on listening to pat kirwan (who was on the tampa squad that drafted bo).

just listening to jim miller and ross tucker today sub for pat and tim on MTC they said if stafford was drafted and sat out, he could be the #1 pick next year. (a single point that i doubt). :
Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
or can they sign as a walk on ?
that would make them an UDFA. i think they are throwm back in the draft to give the waeker teams that first right of refusal.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

http://www.ehow.com/about_4778601_nf...ity-rules.html
Quote:
Holdout Eligibility
Players selected in the NFL draft are offered contracts by the teams that selected them. Compensation varies significantly depending on draft order and position. The higher a player is selected the more they are paid. Skill positions like quarterback demand higher compensation than positions like lineman. If the player and team cannot agree on a contract, the player can hold out and refuse to play. If this goes on for the entire season, the player is eligible to enter the draft again the following year.
it says they CAN re-enter the draft, but do they have too? it appears teams that draft a player that goes to another league holds thier rights indefenitly ( hershal walker, joe thiesman, etc), so why would refusal players get a do over ? does the drafting team get compensation ? i want answers dammit !!!