Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: The Chinese have a new toy...and it doesn't bode well for US Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i clicked the link you provised and did not see where you are getting your numbers-

Actually Tony, it is in the graph on the right hand side of the page.

And yeah, axis of evil is MUCH more descriptive. But I am talking about changing from "war on terror" to "overseas contingency plans."
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
TeeJay
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 7083

Is it Ball in a Cup? And they've stolen it from the Mexicans?

http://www.humorscore.com/videos/Fam..._Ball_In_A_Cup

It is, isn't it.

Those dirty Ba****ds!
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert. Feb '09 - Hell Yeah, they made the Doughnuts
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Actually Tony, it is in the graph on the right hand side of the page.

And yeah, axis of evil is MUCH more descriptive. But I am talking about changing from "war on terror" to "overseas contingency plans."
after pulling out a magnifying glass.....

Quote:
it clearly breaks down the costs of
the base defense budget, as well as the incremental costs of ongoing
military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan for 2010.
it seems there is the base DoDefense budget that doesnt exactly take into account the Offensive engagements (unpredictable) we are involved in, such as the "overseas contingency plans". it looks like everything green/yellow in the graph is "over budget", so to speak.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032402818.html

Quote:
The Bush administration adopted the phrase soon after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to capture the scope of the threat it perceived and the military operations that would be required to confront it.

In an address to Congress nine days after the attacks, President George W. Bush said, "Our war on terror will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated."

But critics abroad and at home, including some within the U.S. military, said the terminology mischaracterized the nature of the enemy and its abilities. Some military officers said, for example, that classifying al-Qaeda and other anti-American militant groups as part of a single movement overstated their strength.

Early in Bush's second term, then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld promoted a change in wording to "global struggle against violent extremism," or GSAVE. Bush rejected the shift and never softened his position that "global war" accurately describes the conflict that the United States is fighting.
does this mean obama is now adopting rummys failed policies?
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #14
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

If this whole thread is going to be about what we are spenging our US dollars one in the way of our military..

The article itself should be a classic example of scare tactics. You think for one second that the boys in brass, have not allready figured out the possibility that a ship and a very large ship (VERY Large) can't be taken out with an ICBM you're crazy.

Regardless of what this article says we allready have the technology to defend against this.

Also let me add, having lived in China for over 5 years now the average Chinese love Americans, and America they can't get enough of McDonalds and the NBA. Just go to your nearest US Consulate office to see the lines of Chinese trying to gat a visa to the US. That being said The Chinese are extremely nationalistic but do not have the first clue about their governemt, and watching Chinese TV they are not well informed. For the most part, life for the Chinese is better than it's been in 100's of years, and the people here are not gonna want to screw that up.

Case in point my wife. Born and raised in a villagein a home with a dirt floor (probably much like Tim Lumber's trailer home) then things started getting better, and she found herself with a college degree. To prove my other point even as a college grad, when I first met her she didnt know who the leader of her country was, and like most Chinese had zero interest in politics.

I'm just sayin...this aint North Korea we're dealing with here, no need to panic and drop another trillion (or a 100)on a defense system that we allready have.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #15
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

When's the last time China did anything successful militarily? The 1300s? This thing is probably a cheap plastic piece of crap. And the first thing we'd do if we got into a real conflict with another superpower is shoot down their satellites and knock out their communications, which we probably can do.

Also, we've got, like, 10 or 11 aircraft carriers, and the most anyone else has is, like, one. And ours are like 3 or 4 times bigger than anyone else's, and most of the other countries' aircraft carriers are secondhand shit from the 1960s. I don't even think China has any at all. This should really illustrate how far ahead of everyone we are militarily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ers_in_service
Old 04-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I hope these missles are on par quality-wise with their drywall.

I'm not super-duper worried about China just yet. If we get in a war, who's gonna buy all their cheap-shit chotchkies made by 12 year old girls working 120 hours a week for $13? Their economy would collapse without us.

BUT I am worried about one thing: Cutting missle defense. Obama wanting to reduce nukes is fine, but we'll still have many times over enough to destroy this planet. What he should NOT be cutting is missile defense spending, right at the time when N. Korea and Iran are ramping up nuke programs.

Of course, he IS cutting missle defense spending. I guess he considers protecting the US from nukes to be "Cold War Thinking". That's not very smart, when, in fact, we are probably facing a MUCH worse threat than we ever did from these rogue states than we ever did from Russia. The Russkies were pesky and worthy adversaries, but they weren't ever stupid or crazy, and Iran and N. Korea may be both.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #17
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

My first thought is Phalanx would handle it but it hasnt been officially battle tested. Ever. Not that I want it to be in all honesty.