Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default On the Steelers: Faith in Sweed reveals itself this offseason

On the Steelers: Faith in Sweed reveals itself this offseason
Sunday, April 12, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Keith Srakocic/Associated Press
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09102/962200-66.stm

To paraphrase an old college coach, the best thing about rookies is they become second-year players. The Steelers are counting on as much from Limas Sweed, who suffered this memorable drop in the AFC title game vs. Baltimore.

Mike Tomlin spotted Limas Sweed talking to a reporter the other day and the Steelers coach made a beeline for the press room where the two sat.

"Don't talk too much,'' he chided Sweed. "Under promise, over-deliver.''

Sweed is the reason the Steelers did not make a bigger play to keep their No. 3 receiver, Nate Washington, before he signed as a free agent with Tennessee. He is a reason they enter the draft not desperate to pick a wide receiver on the first day.

That might seem odd to many because Sweed caught only six passes in his rookie season and, when pressed into play in a close AFC championship game, he dropped the biggest pass of his life while wide open by 10 yards. It would have been a 50-yard touchdown.

But don't judge a receiver by his rookie season because they rarely do well. It's among the toughest positions for a rookie. Plaxico Burress, although installed as a starter, caught 22 passes as a rookie, Hines Ward 15. Frank Lewis 3 and Lynn Swann 11.

There are exceptions, of course, such as Louis Lipps (45), Troy Edwards (61) and Santonio Holmes (49).

The position is difficult because the entire pro way of calling plays, running routes and doing it against bigger, faster men while getting jammed at the line of scrimmage is so different. Receivers who did what came naturally in college are bogged down in thinking.

"I think that's a big thing," Sweed said, repeating a refrain often heard by rookie receivers. "When I was out there thinking so much I couldn't get from point A to point B as fast as I can when I'm not thinking. It's just thinking too much."

Some major leaps have been made by receivers in their second seasons in the NFL. Burress caught 66 passes, Ward 61. Sweed -- stuck behind starters Holmes, Ward and fourth-year pro Washington last year -- will make a big jump as well, although heeding his coach's advice, he's not predicting as much.

Sweed, at 6-4 and 217, takes over the role as the tall receiver, the one they delivered to Ben Roethlisberger last year in the second round of the draft. He's also stronger.

Many forget that his senior season at Texas was ruined by a wrist injury that required surgery Oct. 16, 2007. He was a preseason All-American that year and headed as a likely first-round draft choice until that injury. It wasn't until recently that Sweed could lift a certain way because of that wrist.

He has a passion to be good and cannot wait for spring drills to begin. He developed an early reputation as someone who dropped passes because he did so in some practices and that big one in the AFC title game. He compounded that mistake by rolling on the ground as if he had an injury, forcing the Steelers to use their final timeout of the first half.

He's asked about it often and knows he must gain the confidence of many by making them forget that one play, although he's not the first receiver to drop a pass wide in the open.

"Even Hines said when you're wide open, it's way harder to catch because sometimes you lose focus and you don't follow it in because you're so open,'' Sweed said.

Yet he came back to make three big plays in that game, pressed into service because Ward was injured. He threw an aggressive block, broke up what could have been a Baltimore interception in the end zone to preserve a field goal drive, and caught a third-down pass for 14 yards to the Steelers' 28 that kept a drive going in a close game in the fourth quarter.

Those three plays after his big drop showed Limas Sweed had something.

"That's me,'' Sweed said. "I'm not going to go in the tank and I said I wasn't going to go in the tank. Something happened that's bad, it is what it is. Let's come back and let's see what I can do on the next play. That was my mentality. I want to show what I had.''

He will get plenty of opportunity to do that this summer, to follow the second part of his coach's advice and over-deliver.

No one stands taller than when they stoop to help a child

Here's something a little different for this space today. Instead of insight into the NFL or Steelers, I give you an appeal to help a little girl in Westmoreland County and, yes, the Steelers are involved.

Fallyn McNamara, 6, of West Hempfield has a rare skin disorder known as recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa (RDEB). It makes her skin as fragile as the wings of a butterfly, the reason these kids are known as "butterfly children.''

She needs at least $200,000 to undergo treatment that includes a bone-marrow transplant. Several churches are helping raise funds, as is the Steelers basketball team, Hempfield High School and author Jim Wexell, among others. The Steelers basketball team agreed to extend its season to play a game at Hempfield May 17 at 2 p.m. with the school donating all proceeds to the cause. The Steelers have donated items for an auction that day.

Wexell will donate half the proceeds from the sale of his wonderful book, Steeler Nation, bought at www.pittsburghsportspublishing.com, from today through Father's Day. He's also asking Steelers fans to make donations for Fallyn's treatment at the Web site www.helpfallyn.org or by calling Frank McNamara at 724-864-5718.
Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.
First published on April 12, 2009 at 12:00 am
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
Steel-Bryan
Starter

Member Number: 13188
Default Re: On the Steelers: Faith in Sweed reveals itself this offseason

SWEEED !
Old 04-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,585 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I hope Sweed really comes out on all cylinders this year. We could have one of the top receiving core in the league. If we can get our running game back to where it needs to be that will open up our passing game.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

What I saw in Sweed last year was a kid that got himself wide open several time, but just dropped the ball. I think being a rookie may have had something to do with it, but later in the year, I think his confidence was not real high and he may have been thinking to much instead of just catching the ball. I expect a big improvment this year.

Instead of replacing Sweed, I think we may need an understudy for Ward.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

PLEASE PEOPLE GIVE IT A REST.....A ROOKIE DROPPED A BALL IN A GAME THAT WAS WON................BFD.......NO MATTER WHAT ONE DOES, SOMETIMES THAT BALL WILL BOUNCE OFF YOUR HANDS.........THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN JUST CATCHING THE BALL.............IT IS A CONNECTION TO THE ENERGY OF THE PASS ITSELF FROM THE QB................SOME TOUCH PASSES ARE LIKE THAT............BEN AND LIMAS JUST HAVE TO START CONNECTING ENERGYWISE...........SOMETIMES THAT TAKES A LITTLE TIME...........PLEASE MR. REPORTERMAN, WRITE SOMETHING FRESH........
Old 04-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Didnt he have eye surgery before the season started last year?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Didnt he have eye surgery before the season started last year?
nah, he just got contacts
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Instead of replacing Sweed, I think we may need an understudy for Ward.
I have no idea who could fit that bill, cough Quan Cosby cough
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I have no idea who could fit that bill, cough Quan Cosby cough
We've both been backing that pony for a few weeks now.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Jooser
Water Boy

Member Number: 13331

I think the kid's gonna deliver this year. All rookies make stupid mistakes, but he'll go on to shine. Anyone remember Burress spiking a live ball his rookie year? LOL.