Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
SteelCurtain
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 571
Default Colts Gameplan??

What do you guys think the Steelers need to do to shut down the Colt's offense. Personally, I think we need to play a lot more physically than what we did against the Bengals. Our corners need to get up on the line and jam the receivers everytime to disrupt their timing. Like what we did in the second half against Johnson. We need to have way more pressure on Manning than what we were managing on Kitna. We need to come out playing like this from the beginning, not like we did in the first half of the Bengals and Lions games, or we will be playing catch up from so far away we'll be wishing it was only the 10 point spread they are predicting. I think if we can disrupt their timing with jamming the receivers we are going to get some key turnovers and the W secures itself in our recordbook.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Colts Gameplan??

After the initial shock wore off, there was a point in that first match-up where the Steelers had Peyton confused and the defense was playing well...this was evident when Manning threw the ball right to Troy P.

I don't think we need to dramatically change our defense, but the intensity needs to stay high, and the D needs to bend not break and not give up any cheap big plays. The Colts are going to get their points, but we need to run the football and keep that O off the field.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #3
IndyMatt
Water Boy

Member Number: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain
What do you guys think the Steelers need to do to shut down the Colt's offense. Personally, I think we need to play a lot more physically than what we did against the Bengals. Our corners need to get up on the line and jam the receivers everytime to disrupt their timing. Like what we did in the second half against Johnson. We need to have way more pressure on Manning than what we were managing on Kitna. We need to come out playing like this from the beginning, not like we did in the first half of the Bengals and Lions games, or we will be playing catch up from so far away we'll be wishing it was only the 10 point spread they are predicting. I think if we can disrupt their timing with jamming the receivers we are going to get some key turnovers and the W secures itself in our recordbook.

Your smash mouth style worked wonders for you last time. You should definitely come in with that same gameplan.

Jamming the receivers and turnovers will not win you this game. Ben will need to throw 15-20 times and get over 200 yards in order for you to even attempt to establish your running game. Your defense can try to disrupt Manning, but in doing so, you'll lose to our run and/or short passing game.

Should be a good game, but I also thought the last game should have been close. Good luck and I look forward to a good week of discussions.
IndyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 896

I say we just do what the Chargers did. Change up the pass rush so it's not so predictable and get to Payton. If we don't, we're screwed, plain and simple.

Our pass rush and blitzes are very predictable recently. Our losses to Indy, NE and Cinci showed that.

And when anyone puts 8 guys in the box and we can't run, we're screwed too. So he's right, Ben needs to establish the throw as a threat, especially short throws that pull the LBs out of the box.
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I think the key will be, no matter what the gameplan, to actually EXECUTE it this time around...I also think the offense will be better equipped to handle the crowd noise, miked up or not.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I think the Steelers should try some more of the two man rush and drop every one else into coverage when situation on obvious passing downs presents itself.
It had Kitna a little confused the few times it was used maybe the Steelers pass coverage can catch a break on a Manning mistake.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
workhorse
Water Boy

Member Number: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
I think the Steelers should try some more of the two man rush and drop every one else into coverage when situation on obvious passing downs presents itself.
It had Kitna a little confused the few times it was used maybe the Steelers pass coverage can catch a break on a Manning mistake.
Most teams were trying something similar at the begining of the season against the Colts, they will just give the ball to Edge. It's the gameplan that the Pats used to run against the Colts, but now they have seen it quite a bit and know how to play against it. The Steelers are going to need to mix up their coverages and while I know the Steeler thrive on the blitz, they may want to back off the bltzing and try to get pressure with their front seven. Peyton has a lot of success against the blitz.
workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I agree with mixing up the coverage. Teams seem to pick up our blitz pretty well lately. I think we have to mix it up.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

Keys to victory:
1. Establish the run better than any game this year.
2. No interceptions.
3. Make big plays on defense.
4. Confuse colts offense.
5. Apply pressure

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #10
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

We definitely have to mix it up in keeping that same balance between the passing and running game. I believe the defense will also come up with a big play or two.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote