Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
PeckerWood
Team Owner

Member Number: 13275
Thanked 3,180 Times in 1,565 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Steelers draft 1-6

1st Alex Mack, OC California
2nd Mike Mickins, CB Cincinnati
3rd Mike Thomas, WR Arizona
4th Mitch King, DE Iowa
5th Frank Summers, RB UNLV
5th Alex Boone, OT Ohio State
6th Brandon Underwood, S Cincinnati

draftzoo.com

I could see the picks playing out for the Steelers on draft day and I like a lot of the picks.

PeckerWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Steelers draft 1-6

i see no reason to waste a pick on a WR that early.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Replace WR Thomas with another offensive lineman and I could live with it.... besides Boone no real character issues!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I could take or leave Alex Mack but since so many Steelers fans are in love with him I guess it would be a generally satisfying selection.

Mickins wouldn't be horrible in the second.

Mike Thomas might be gone in the second at this point, if we could get him in the third I would be ecstatic.

I love the Mitch King pick.

Not too high on selecting a back at all in the draft so I don't particularly care for Summers in the fifth.

Alex Boone would be alright.

I'm fine with Underwood though I don't think he would have a chance at making the roster to be honest.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4943

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
Replace WR Thomas with another offensive lineman and I could live with it.... besides Boone no real character issues!
The honest truth is offensive lineman don't always pan out like everyone thinks they do, and it is annyoing how people think that by taking a lot of them it will make our line awesome. To tell the truth, the steelers are built to win right now. These next 2 maybe three years is the window for us to win the superbowl again without needing to rebuild. Our QB is in his prime, we have a good balance of veterans and younger guys. Also, our defense is in the tail end of its stalwart years, as all of our DLIneman are over 30, harrison will start slowing down in the next year or two, and in three years our secondary will be regarded as aging. At 32, their are rarely any offensive lineman that can step in and play right away, because they are usually raw and need to be groomed for a couple of years. A receiver, Dlineman, or corner, on the other hand, can usually step in right away and contribute. As a rookie, Santonio was in there, Defensive LIne is not a mentally difficult position, and corners (McKelvin, Rodgers-Cromartie, etc.) can usually step in and contribute to the defense as a whole while learning. My point is that the drop off between the olineman at 32 and 64 isn't that great, and the learning curve is just about the same. I'm not by any means saying that the steelers shouldn't draft an OL if he falls, because I would, but reaching for a 2nd tier lineman in the first round (i.e. Beatty) wouldn't be as smart of a move as everyone thinks. Instead, what if someone like Laurinaitis or Jackson or someone maybe even like Percy Harvin fell to us. Could you honestly say you would take a risk and reach for a 2nd Round OL in the first or would you take the surefire first round instant contributor? I know that many people have conflicting opinions with me and about this topic as a whole, but remember we do have a super-bowl caliber offensive line or else we wouldn't have won it. I"m not saying don't take an OL because I'm all for it, but reaching for one in the late first round doesn't make much sense to me. Hey, Jason Peters was an undrafted free agent, and their are hidden gems like that littered throughout the draft and the STeelers usually find them.

“Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.”~Chuck Noll
SteelersTilIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

that's true, but players like holmes are anomalies.. most players in general aren't very good in year one, so why not take someone who will be good later, but at a position we need more?
Old 04-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeckerWood View Post
1st Alex Mack, OC California
2nd Mike Mickins, CB Cincinnati
3rd Mike Thomas, WR Arizona
4th Mitch King, DE Iowa
5th Frank Summers, RB UNLV
5th Alex Boone, OT Ohio State
6th Brandon Underwood, S Cincinnati

draftzoo.com

I could see the picks playing out for the Steelers on draft day and I like a lot of the picks.

Would be ecstatic with this . . . we address all our positions of need (although I would like Beatty, Mack is still awesome), and pick up quality players with every pick.

I'm particularly a fan of Mike Thomas. Him, Robiskie, Hakeem Nicks, and Quan Cosby would all make me happy, although obviously Nicks isn't going to happen.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

i like this draft also, besides boone....and i think, but am not sure, but i think mickens will drop because of his injury
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote