Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Raising the curtain - Steeler LB Woodley praises teammates

Raising the curtain
Steeler LB Woodley praises teammates
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...id/518177.html

By Todd Irwin, tirwin@altoonamirror.com
POSTED: April 17, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley had three or four warmup tosses before he took the mound for the first pitch of the Curve's 2009 home opener.

It didn't help him.

Woodley looked toward Curve catcher Hector Gimenez, went into his windup on a perfect April evening at Blair County Ballpark and uncorked one of the worst first pitches in baseball history.

The ball landed in the grass in front of the home plate area and rolled into the dirt. Woodley, possibly shocked by his effort, windmilled his right arm after the pitch.

"The thing about the pitch was," Woodley said with a pause as media members laughed, "that I didn't have my spikes on. I had basketball shoes on. I couldn't dig into the ground, so I slipped a little bit.

"Then the guy we were throwing the pitch to, we wanted to walk him because we didn't want him to hit a home run."

Woodley was asked if he was possibly bothered by the imaginary runners on the bases.

"I checked the runners out," he said during his four-minute stay with the media, "but when I went to throw it, I slipped."

"I wasn't expecting a good throw, but I wasn't expecting that really bad throw," Gimenez said laughing. "I think he was just having fun out there."

Good thing he's set as an NFL linebacker.

Woodley, who signed a bunch of autographs at the main concourse for about an hour of the Curve's 3-0 loss, was key in the Steelers' run to the Super Bowl XLIII, where they beat the Arizona Cardinals, 27-23.

In his second season in the NFL, Woodley had 11.5 sacks, made 60 tackles, forced two fumbles and intercepted a pass. He now holds the record for most consecutive playoff games with multiple sacks.

"It was the guys around me," said Woodley, who was a second-round pick out of Michigan in the 2007 draft. "When you've got good guys around you, good athletes around you, you can go out there and show people the kind of talent you have."

One of the athletes around him was fellow linebacker and NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison, who recently signed a six-year contract worth over $51 million.

"That guy comes to work every day," Woodley said. "He's the first one in the weight room and the last guy out. He watches extra film every day. He doesn't say much, but he works every day in practice to keep those guys motivated."

Woodley and Harrison will be key in attempting to get the Steelers back to the Super Bowl. A lot is expected of the six-time Super Bowl champs.

"I wasn't here in '05 when we won the Super Bowl, but that following year we didn't make the playoffs," Woodley said. "We definitely don't want to repeat that again this year. So, we're going to come in ready to play and compete for another Super Bowl.

"When I've won before different championships, coming into the following season, everybody's got a target on your back. Playing for Pittsburgh, you've got a target on your back anyway.

"You want to come into the season better because the fans are going to expect more, and you should expect more out of yourself. I definitely want to have that feeling again of winning that Super Bowl because the parade was one of the best I've ever seen."

After having one of the hardest schedules in the league last season, the Steelers are playing only five teams in 2009 that had winning records last season. Woodley downplayed that Thursday night.

"I think it's going to be a tough schedule," Woodley said. "Any team in the NFL is tough regardless of how people are ranked in the schedule. A lot of people didn't see us as a good team last year, and we proved everybody wrong."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,419 Posts
Default Re: Raising the curtain - Steeler LB Woodley praises teammates

another 11 or 12 sack season could put woodley's next contract out of the steelers ball park.....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i would hope so.. the man will be asking for a huge contract like harrison

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
chucoblack&gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9467

Woodley is one helluva player, I wouldn't want to lose this guy to free agency
Old 04-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,211 Times in 2,672 Posts

im glad i scored 1 of his high end autographed rookie cards for $5 offa ebay last summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
another 11 or 12 sack season could put woodley's next contract out of the steelers ball park.....
this is easy... get hines, willie, and starks off the books = $20 mil plus the $7 mil of dead money. figure in about $10 mil of cap increase and *BOOM* $37 mil. (give ward $4.5 mil to stay)
Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im glad i scored 1 of his high end autographed rookie cards for $5 offa ebay last summer.

this is easy... get hines, willie, and starks off the books = $20 mil plus the $7 mil of dead money. figure in about $10 mil of cap increase and *BOOM* $37 mil. (give ward $4.5 mil to stay)
then figure in holmes, miller, clark, and whoever else might need extended in the next 2 years, and it don't look good... as colbert always says....you can't keep everybody....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #7
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

This guy is a keeper, we need to do what ever it takes to make sure he's on our side of the feild.....
Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
then figure in holmes, miller, clark, and whoever else might need extended in the next 2 years, and it don't look good... as colbert always says....you can't keep everybody....
thats why we draft the likes of mendenhall and sweed, who according to some experts were the best prospects in their class.

see woodley- did we really need to spend a #2 on him when we already addressed LB with our 1st? round pick in that years draft?

and even though he has become 1 of my favorite steelers, i think clark has earned his "chris hope" like "Titan" payday. it wont be with the steelers though.

hope was a "nobody" when drafted and was replaced by a "nobody" when he left.

...and the beat goes on....

Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
thats why we draft the likes of mendenhall and sweed, who according to some experts were the best prospects in their class.

see woodley- did we really need to spend a #2 on him when we already addressed LB with our 1st? round pick in that years draft?

and even though he has become 1 of my favorite steelers, i think clark has earned his "chris hope" like "Titan" payday. it wont be with the steelers though.

hope was a "nobody" when drafted and was replaced by a "nobody" when he left.

...and the beat goes on....

its just unfortunate, we got those players, by sacrificing the oline...

Old 04-18-2009, 03:02 AM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
its just unfortunate, we got those players, by sacrificing the oline...
a great rb probably gets tackled 15-20 times a game.

a great qb like ben probably looks at those numbers and says 50 tackles (some people call them "sacks") in an entire year, aint shit to me.

*fingers crossed*