Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,995 Posts
Default Kirwan Mock 6.0

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Quote:
Draft preparation is now in the final stages. Pro days are over, medical re-checks are just about complete and invitations have been offered to the top candidates to appear at Radio City for the big day. Only late-breaking rumors can alter the paths that teams will take on draft day.

There are many trade scenarios set up between teams for the draft, and over the past few years, draft-day trades have picked up. I expect at least a dozen trades during the two-day event. The big trade sending Jason Peters from the Bills to the Eagles changes a number of things in this mock draft.

I expect a team like New England, with three second-round picks, to move around on draft day. Teams without a second-round pick, like Kansas City, Washington, New Orleans and San Diego, will work the phones in an attempt to get a pick in the very important second round.

As for teams without a first-round pick, like Chicago, Dallas and Carolina, it will be tough to get into the first round unless there is a top player to trade. Carolina has the best chance with Julius Peppers.

It's been an interesting spring talking to the draft candidates, and with less than a week to go, I've interviewed 50 of the top 60 players. By the time the draft rolls around, I will likely have had the chance to talk to just about every candidate selected on the first day. In the last two weeks, I've chatted with head coaches at Georgia, Mississippi, Missouri and USC about their prospects, and the first round should include 10 players from these schools.

Next week will be my final mock before the draft. For now, here is my two-round mock draft, version 6.0
and steelers pass on our greatest needs to take......

Quote:
Percy Harvin WR Florida
The Steelers could take a guard/center like Alex Mack, or a left-tackle candidate like William Beatty, who may need a year to get ready, but the pick is Harvin after he falls to them. The Steelers have not been afraid to take a great athlete with issues before, and he could wait in the wings as the eventual replacement for Hines Ward.
Second round: No. 64, Eric Wood, C, Louisville
percy harvin??? id rather reach for mack, beatty, or even gilbert than take a wr with the 1st pick (i dont care how talented he is).

kirwan called sweed the #1 wr in last years draft. the drafting of harvin suggests to me that he thinks sweed will always be a #2 or #3 steelers receiver, or he doubts holmes and ward extending their contracts or staying with the steelers.

love the eric wood pick.

but what i hate MOST about this mock is seeing the damage the patriots could do in practically rebuilding their entire defense with their 1st 4 picks:

Quote:

23. Patriots Clay Matthews OLB USC
The rise of Matthews, from walk-on to special-teams ace to starter, makes him one of the more intriguing prospects in the draft. Bill Belichick would love Matthews' versatility and upside.
Second round: No. 34, James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State; No. 47, Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut; No. 58, Jarron Gilbert, DE, San Jose State
that is just sick...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Member Number: 11279
Default Re: Kirwan Mock 6.0

I would love seeing Harvin.....But I doubt it.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

That would be awesome. Harvin is one of the most explosive players I've ever seen in my life.

Too bad he'll never get to 32 and we'll probably end up reaching for a second round graded offensive linemen...

By the way, NO WAY are the Patriots able to get Butler at 47.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

I can see it happening though. They suprise us every year. I can also see us trading up for a player that Tomlin likes.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindSteelCurtain View Post
I can see it happening though. They suprise us every year. I can also see us trading up for a player that Tomlin likes.
I'm thinking that's what is most likely to happen. Although this draft is deep with talent, I think we'd be just as well off trying to trade down. If we could get a package headlined by another second round pick, giving us two, for pick 32 that would be awesome. A second round combination of like Max Unger and Ron Brace would rock.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #6
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

If he didnt get busted for drugs then maybe....but I would guess the steelers would pass
Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i think harvin would be a good player.. he is a fast and has return capabilities... but i don't see them drafting him

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #8
BehindSteelCurtain
Team Captain

Harvin is a playmaker, period. He would add a third demension to this team.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,821 Times in 915 Posts

Drafting Harvin instead of Alex Mack = drafting Troy Edwards instead of John Tait.
El-Gonzo Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Somrthing crazy is happening herein. Lets keep this simple . The Steelers NEED the best OFFENSIVE, DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OR CORNERBACK AVAILBLE. We do not need a WR in the first round. Pick one up later via the draft , trade or even waiver for the number 4 wr. Sweed is going to do just fine.
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote