Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin happy with intact offensive line

Tomlin happy with intact offensive line
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_621682.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin likes what he sees from his young offensive line.

"The same starting five that walked off the field in Tampa (following Super Bowl XLIII) was at practice and in the huddle. That's encouraging," Tomlin said earlier this week.

"I'm optimistic about what they're capable of being, and that's probably why that group is together," Tomlin said. "They're growing, they're young guys -- either in age or playing-time experience, definitely in terms of group cohesion. I think the arrow is up on those guys individually and collectively. We're excited about what they're capable of being."

Left tackle Max Starks (27), left guard Chris Kemoeatu (26) and right tackle Willie Colon (26) all signed new contracts this offseason.

Center Justin Hartwig (30) is the oldest starter. Right guard Darnell Stapleton (23) is the youngest.

MVP present

Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes and inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons attended Tuesday's OTA session, reducing the number of players who didn't attend the two-day voluntary workouts to six.

Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu, running back Willie Parker, free safety Ryan Clark, inside linebacker Larry Foote, strong safety Tyrone Carter and defensive end Nick Eason were not present either day. Defensive end Aaron Smith, who attended Monday's session, was absent yesterday.

Draft doings

In 73 previous drafts, the Steelers have selected in the first round all but seven. The Steelers' 2009 draft class will make its first official visit to Pittsburgh on May 1-3 for the team's mandatory minicamp.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Tomlin happy with intact offensive line

I would be happy as well, and I am. The only spot that we would potentially need to update immediately would be center and Hartwig is still serviceable. I would say right tackle also, but the staff seems to be very set on Colon at right tackle so I won't argue.

Honestly, the offensive line issue gets blown way out of proportion. We won a title with the help of this group, and not despite them. They can survive another season.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I would be happy as well, and I am. The only spot that we would potentially need to update immediately would be center and Hartwig is still serviceable. I would say right tackle also, but the staff seems to be very set on Colon at right tackle so I won't argue.
I disagree.

An easy immediate upgrade would be replacing Stapleton. If we draft Alex Mack or Wood, they can start at RG for a year and then replace Hartwig the following year

Stapleton is a decent backup but not starter material imo.

Hartwig gets a bad wrap imo. He played well more often than not. A lot of the sacks given up through the middle seemed to be from miscommunication between Hartwig and the Guards (both guards were 1st year starters and Kemo is dumb as a rock). Either way, Hartwig was a HUGE upgrade over Mahan......we dont win the SB with that scrub Mahan under center for sure
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
steelcurtain4392
Water Boy

Member Number: 13437

I like the idea of the drafting of an offensive linemen in the first round. Duke Robinson seems to be a perfect fit for the hard-nosed steelers
steelcurtain4392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
I disagree.

An easy immediate upgrade would be replacing Stapleton. If we draft Alex Mack or Wood, they can start at RG for a year and then replace Hartwig the following year

Stapleton is a decent backup but not starter material imo.

Hartwig gets a bad wrap imo. He played well more often than not. A lot of the sacks given up through the middle seemed to be from miscommunication between Hartwig and the Guards (both guards were 1st year starters and Kemo is dumb as a rock). Either way, Hartwig was a HUGE upgrade over Mahan......we dont win the SB with that scrub Mahan under center for sure
Great Post!!!! I completely agree.

Think of a right side of Hartwig, Mack, Colon and Miller on the line of scrimmage and pulling Kemo from the left side on a running play. That would be a powerful run blocking line.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

I like the idea of drafting O-linemen but would be fine with the current line we have in tact. This line got better late in the season and should be much better this year with our RB's being totally healthy again.

Last edited by scsteeler; 04-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

RG is a pressing need.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

I think most everyone knows how i feel about the o-line. To me they are the " MACH 5" baby. I think in the end they could make us very proud. All they need is time together , which they did not have much of last season. But as i had noted, when they needed to most they did pull closer together in the end.
They should only get better !
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Oh boy...this has the potential to be a 300 post thread.

When some of the usual suspects get around to second guessing the coaches (who obviously know far, far less about their team than internet MB posters), we could be in for a long ride here...
Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Oh boy...this has the potential to be a 300 post thread.

When some of the usual suspects get around to second guessing the coaches (who obviously know far, far less about their team than internet MB posters), we could be in for a long ride here...
We are definitely in for a long ride with pointless posts like these that add nothing to the discussion of the thread topic
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote