Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,556 Times in 3,981 Posts
Default Critique my 1st steelers mock

this is my 1st venture in guessing what the steelers will do, and i am doing it to have fun with the board contests. keep in mind, most of my "research" is done with information i gather by visiting this site. i am pretty much in the dark when it comes to college prospects beyond the top 100 and any constructive critisizm will be taken for what its worth.

would you be happy with these selections?

am i way off base? ( i tried to balance team need with potenteial BPA equally - even though i have no clue as to who is the BPA beyond round 3.)

Quote:
Steelers Picks

Rd 1, Pick 32....OT william beatty
Rd 2, Pick 64....DT jarron gilbert
Rd 3, Pick 96....C antoine caldwell
Rd 4, Pick 132...CB greg toler
Rd 5, Pick 168... OG Louis Vasquez
Rd 5, Pick 169...WR deon butler
Rd 6, Pick 205...FB Frank Summers
Rd 7, Pick 226...FS brandon underwood
Rd 7, Pick 241...NT antonio dixon
UDFA

1) SS derrick richardson
2) C robby felix
3) DE khalif mitchell
4) TE richard quinn
im thinking mack or beatty with pick 1, gilbert or miola w/ pick 2.

im thinking picks 2-5a are just wishful thinking and all these prospects will be off the board when we select.

im thinking 5b aND 6 may be a reach but players who could contribute as rookies.

7a & 7b was simply grasping at straws.

udfa's- richardson was a national leader in tackles. felix suffered a teddi bruschi stroke and has fully recovered. hes a risk, but may present value for nothing. mitchell- had some ganja problems and is a project but i liked his maturity level. quinn was brought in for a workout with heath and spaeth are going into their final years.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: Critique my 1st steelers mock

I think I'd be happy, but I seriously doubt Gilbert will be available for us in round 2.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Its not often that you get a chance to take on Mr Hipchest in an area that he is not entirely comfortable in.

this is a mock that most steeler fans could come to live with. You have put together a mock that is both logical and desirable for some fans.

1. Beatty OT - some concerns but would develop into a servicely LT for the back half of his rookie contract.

2. Gilbert DE - most of, sorry all of us would be doing cartwheels if this pick came true. None of us would complain if we had to settle for Moala instead.

3. Caldwell OC - a bit light and maybe a bit under appreciated but kind of has Dermonti Dawson written all over him.

4. Toler CB - dont know much about this guy

5. Vasquez OG - Home run Tony

5b -- 7b all meet team needs and have chances of at worst being PS players.

Not sure if TE Quinn will last beyond the 4th.

Good Job Tony - but like most of us, if you manage to get one pick right you are entitled to be over the moon. ( The last high picks I got right were Kendrell Bell and Troy Polamalu.)

Best of luck riding all those picks this coming weekend.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,323 Posts

Tony, it could all happen. The Summers and Dixon picks are the same as mine..........so stop the Jedi mind reading. I like Beatty, but think that Buffalo might take him before us.

I love Caldwell, but because I think it makes sense.....it wont happen. My 4 rounds are looking like #1 Britton, #2 Gilbert, #3 Washington CB, #4 Mike Thomas WR.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,556 Times in 3,981 Posts

thanks guys. i guess i didnt reach too much, nor was blinded by wishful thinking. i wasnt sure where the tight end was projected so i just figured if he wasnt taken we would quickly replace sherrod with him.

i kinda struggled with the 7th rounders, so admittedly just stole antonio dixon off LLT's draft. makes a lot of sense and worth the long shot gamble.

toler is a small school late riser and alot of teams are showing interrest. reading about him reminded me of an ike taylor type who will need a few years, but develop into a solid starter. he is fast, but not the fastest cb in this years class like ike was.

i remember LLT and i being flabbergasted by the w. gay pick. i think this could be this years w. gay.

vasquez seems to be consensus so im rolling with it.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Tony, if you were able to watch the Emerald Bowl, Dixon and Alex Mack waged a memorable war all game, but Mack tired him out. I think the kid can be a long term project or part of a NT rotation.

I hope you guys are right about Vasquez. I honestly dont think he gets to us in the 5th, but hope he does. I watched a few games and broke down his play. He looked good and now his postseason workouts have him rising.

One guy I think we may look at later is Greg Isdaner OG from WVU. Dude is a mauler, but might go around the 6th round or later because of poor measureables.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
SunshineMan21
Starter

Member Number: 9294

I like Beatty a lot, and a LT has a ton more positional value than a C. There are also a bunch of C prospects (Wood, Caldwell, Shipley, etc . . ) in this draft.

I guess I'd be happy with either Beatty or Mack, but if the FO has them graded similarly I'd think that Beatty ends up being the pick.
SunshineMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

I'm happy with almost any draft, almost any, that gets Vasquez in Black and gold.

No Gonzo, I don't think he gets to us in the 5th, I don't even think he gets to us in the 4th, but I hope I am wrong.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I'm happy with almost any draft, almost any, that gets Vasquez in Black and gold.

No Gonzo, I don't think he gets to us in the 5th, I don't even think he gets to us in the 4th, but I hope I am wrong.
I agree. I think Vasquez will go in the 4th, but before our pick. I can see maybe trading a 4th and 5th to move up in the 4th for a player that they like like Vasquez. I'd be happy with Britton, Gilbert, Washington, Vasquez in the first 4 picks and bypassing a center since we already have Hartwig, Legursky, Stapleton on the roster.

I love draft time of the year. There are so many combinations and almost none of them ever happen the way we want.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I agree. I think Vasquez will go in the 4th, but before our pick. I can see maybe trading a 4th and 5th to move up in the 4th for a player that they like like Vasquez. I'd be happy with Britton, Gilbert, Washington, Vasquez in the first 4 picks and bypassing a center since we already have Hartwig, Legursky, Stapleton on the roster.

I love draft time of the year. There are so many combinations and almost none of them ever happen the way we want.
If those were the only 4 players we got, I think I would be happy.

Just think Gonzo. Monday we can start on the 2010 draft.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote