Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #21
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Other Stanley Cup Series (potential foes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
Who says if Ovie or Cam played against the Penguins in the playoffs that they wouldn't shit the bed?

Anyway a word of note, Brashear got suspended 6 games for his hit on Blair Betts in game 6 of their series against the Rags.
Brash got 6 games???? Friggin WOW! I was thinking maybe 2 games max. Do I think the hit was late? Yes. Did he target his head? Yes. But I've seen the exact same thing happen in other games, and not only did the person not get a penalty, there was no suspension. Malkin got nothing more than a fine and a warning from the league when he elbowed somebody in the head late in the season. Brash hits a guy with his shoulder, albeit late, and he gets 6. Friggin ridiculous.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #22
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Blair Betts has a broken orbital bone courtesy of the goon.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Blair Betts has a broken orbital bone courtesy of the goon.
Yes I know that. It still doesn't change my opinion - I've seen far worse barely get a mention. Milan Lucic of the Bruins actually cross-checked a guy in the chops and he only got a game. Michael Cammalleri of the Flames did the exact same thing Daniel Carcillo did to Talbot, only worse, and he didn't get suspended at all. During the Ducks' cup run 2 years ago, Chris Pronger twice deliberately elbowed guys in the head causing injury, and he got 1 game for each incident. How is what Brashear did worth more than any of those? There is no consistency to NHL suspensions and it is strictly reputation-based. That is my biggest problem. I hate to say it, but if Crosby does the same thing, I bet you he doesn't get a suspension.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
Fire Haley
Banned

What are you, his lawyer?

It was a late hit. No question.

CAPS' BRASHEAR SUSPENDED FOR TOTAL OF SIX GAMES

Washington Capitals forward Donald Brashear was suspended for a total of six games by the National Hockey League for two separate incidents in Game 6 against the New York Rangers.

Brashear had a hearing on Monday to discuss his exchange with New York's Colton Orr in the warm-up prior to the game and his late hit on Rangers forward Blair Betts in the first period. Brashear got one game for the incident with Orr and five additional games for his hit on Betts.

The Rangers announced on Monday that Betts suffered a broken orbital bone as a result of the hit and is out indefinitely.

"Brashear delivered a shoulder hit to an unsuspecting player," said Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell in a release. "It is also my opinion that the hit was delivered late and targeted the head of his opponent, causing significant injury."

Brashear will start serving his suspension in Game 7 and it will extend through Washington's next five playoff games, or the 2009/10 regular season depending on how long the Capitals are in the playoffs.

You know what's really funny?

"Avery has no business being in the NHL" ~ John Tortorella
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
What are you, his lawyer?

It was a late hit. No question.

CAPS' BRASHEAR SUSPENDED FOR TOTAL OF SIX GAMES

Washington Capitals forward Donald Brashear was suspended for a total of six games by the National Hockey League for two separate incidents in Game 6 against the New York Rangers.

Brashear had a hearing on Monday to discuss his exchange with New York's Colton Orr in the warm-up prior to the game and his late hit on Rangers forward Blair Betts in the first period. Brashear got one game for the incident with Orr and five additional games for his hit on Betts.

The Rangers announced on Monday that Betts suffered a broken orbital bone as a result of the hit and is out indefinitely.

"Brashear delivered a shoulder hit to an unsuspecting player," said Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell in a release. "It is also my opinion that the hit was delivered late and targeted the head of his opponent, causing significant injury."

Brashear will start serving his suspension in Game 7 and it will extend through Washington's next five playoff games, or the 2009/10 regular season depending on how long the Capitals are in the playoffs.

You know what's really funny?

"Avery has no business being in the NHL" ~ John Tortorella
I believe I said the hit was late. I also said it was deserving of a suspension. I just believe the suspension was too harsh when put up against similar incidents.

As a matter of fact, here's an example of a very similar hit:

[YOUTUBE]6wRHHk86KhU[/YOUTUBE]

And now, here's Brashear's hit:

[YOUTUBE]hGwrm3sGU8E[/YOUTUBE]

All Ott got was a charging major, and no suspension. The only difference is that Betts was injured, while Campbell (who ironically is Colin Campbell's son) was not, and that Brashear was not penalized for his hit - he got 2 for roughing when the Rangers' Mara came after him. Other than that, it's the same type of hit.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #26
Fire Haley
Banned

It's not JUST that play in this case though.

The first incident happened in the pre-game skate.

They took that into account too, but you're right.

If you're a goon and have the rep and act like a goon, the league will treat you like a goon when you go head-hunting.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
It's not JUST that play though.

The first incident happened in the pre-game skate.

They took that into account too.

If you're a goon and have the rep and act like a goon, the league will treat you like a goon when you go head-hunting.
Right, although I don't think he did enough to warrant a suspension there. Just a couple pushes. You'd think he started a bench-clearing brawl the way some people talk about it.

And yes, if you're a goon you do get scrutinized more. So what's Chris Pronger's excuse then? He's only been suspended 8 times in his career and barely got anything for his elbows. Again, that is part of my issue - there is no consistency when it comes to suspensions, and definitely a double standard.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #28
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Brashear sucks anyways. He is a worthless goon who clearly went after Betts with the intent to injure him just because someone cleanly checked Brashear and he flipped out. 6 games was warranted. Good job by the NHL to send a message that this crap won't be tolerated
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #29
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
Brashear sucks anyways. He is a worthless goon who clearly went after Betts with the intent to injure him just because someone cleanly checked Brashear and he flipped out. 6 games was warranted. Good job by the NHL to send a message that this crap won't be tolerated
If it was a clear intent to injure, why wasn't he penalized for the hit? There's no possible way the referees missed it - they were looking right at it. Look, I hate Brashear and think he's nothing but a no-talent thug and would never want him wearing the black and gold, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that this is a fair suspension. It's not. And BTW, he got 5 for the hit + 1 for the pregame warm-up incident.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #30
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
If it was a clear intent to injure, why wasn't he penalized for the hit?
Seriously? You're using the refs as your argument? Refs have been horrible most of this year. Carcillo didn't get a penalty for decking Talbot and he still got a 1-game suspension

It should have been a 5 minute major penalty which could have changed the outcome of that game. Rangers got screwed

The reason I like the 6 game suspension is because they have handed out several 1-game suspensions recently and this was far worse than those incidents. A 1 or 2 game suspension would have been a total joke
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote